Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How About These 19" Wheels from Wheel Dynamics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:45 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How About These 19" Wheels from Wheel Dynamics?

I'm buying an '02 C2 NB for Los Angeles this week, and a friend found what seems like the wheels I want on Ebay from a seller located in LA:

http://tinyurl.com/2dplvh

"Wheels are 19x8 et 57mm and 19x11 et 67mm"

"Tires are new Toyo T1R in 235/35/19 and 315/25/19 for the 996 or we can change the rear for the 997 to 295/30/19"

Seems like these guys are some kind of dealer, but I'm curious if anyone knows of them, likes them, and moreover if they actually have a shop out there (I don't want to order off of ebay, and I'll be in LA for a couple of months anyway)

Also, from what I read here on rennlist (you guys are amazing) it seems I can fit 11 inch wide rears with a 67mm offset under a narrowbody with no rub on the 315/25s, but I was hoping someone could confirm that it would be far enough inside the plumb line that if I ever reduced the ride height in the future it would still fit (just H&R or equiv. drop kit, not coilovers). At 57mm up front do I still need a 5mm spacer? What if I eventually dropped the ride height a little?

I am guessing these wheels are replicas, and I am thinking an OEM takeoff would be the better bet, so if anyone has a solid source of inexpensive takeoffs in greater LA/OC, heck even SFO/Sacramento as I'm heading up that way for a week as well, I'd be greatly, greatly appreciative. (wheel enhancement wants 3300 for just the oem wheels, so figure 4500 all in + mount/balance/tax, way too much given the value of the vehicle I'm putting them on)

But say I can't find takeoffs for close money, are Wheel Dynamics' replica wheels reasonably well made or are they going to bend the first time they roll over an expansion joint or pothole? Mind you I'm not that worried about the unsprung weight unless it would wear down the suspension items, as this car is pure street, my e55 replacement.

Sorry for the long post!

HT
Old 12-17-2007, 11:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

HT - yes, those wheels are replicas. A few guys here have purchased some wheels from Wheels Dynamics and as I recall, they were satisfied with teh transaction.

You probably want to add a 7mm spacer to the front wheels, which would then retain the same offset an OEM 8" 996 wheel. The rear wheels (11" with 67mm offset) will give you 15mm LESS clearence in the inside of the wheel and EXTEND the outside of the wheel by 11mm compared to a 10" with 65mm offset OEM wheel. There "should" not be a rubbing issue if you were to lower the car.

Just to be sure, you should take a couple of minutes and measure the available space on your current wheels using a plumb line. Here is a link to a post which should help with the measurements.

Measuring avaliable wheel space

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 PM
996CABOVA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the same tire wheel combo off them a year ago and VERY satisfied with them. Great guys to deal with and very helpful. And they have a great product in their rims. Not a problem with them at all.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Fat Sled
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased my wheels from them 2 months ago. They delivered the wheels (no extra charge) to my tire guy in Torrance the next day however they forgot the center caps. After informing them of the situation they overnighted the caps. Great guys to deal with. Quality wheels at a great price. Originals would cost you thousands more. The $$ you save can be spent on other mods.....
Old 12-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends how quickly you need them, I bought the same OEM rims (sans tires) on ebay for about 1200 in perfect shape. So the deals can be had but it takes patience.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Guys I'm overwhelmed, this has to be the best automotive messageboard I've ever seen.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
It depends how quickly you need them, I bought the same OEM rims (sans tires) on ebay for about 1200 in perfect shape. So the deals can be had but it takes patience.
I think I'm going to wait it out until the 1st week of January and if I can't find takeoffs for less than 2500 for wheels and tires I'll go these replicas.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fat Sled
Purchased my wheels from them 2 months ago. They delivered the wheels (no extra charge) to my tire guy in Torrance the next day however they forgot the center caps. After informing them of the situation they overnighted the caps. Great guys to deal with. Quality wheels at a great price. Originals would cost you thousands more. The $$ you save can be spent on other mods.....
JP, do you know whether or not they have a retail shop I can walk into? Otherwise please do shoot me your guy in Torrance's details, I stay out in West LA when I'm there but I'd rather not pay West LA "baller" prices for fitment.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Tim, that's a great diagram, thanks so much. As soon as I take delivery I'll measure as illustrated. I am a little concerned about the spacer thing, some people say 5mm, 7mm, but if the rears are 15mm too wide should I be adding even more to the front so that everything wears normally?

BTW where did you get the silver/chrome Carrera script on the rear of your car? I'm going black car and now that I've decided to go silver wheels I think I will be going silver emblem.

Originally Posted by gota911
HT - yes, those wheels are replicas. A few guys here have purchased some wheels from Wheels Dynamics and as I recall, they were satisfied with teh transaction.

You probably want to add a 7mm spacer to the front wheels, which would then retain the same offset an OEM 8" 996 wheel. The rear wheels (11" with 67mm offset) will give you 15mm LESS clearence in the inside of the wheel and EXTEND the outside of the wheel by 11mm compared to a 10" with 65mm offset OEM wheel. There "should" not be a rubbing issue if you were to lower the car.

Just to be sure, you should take a couple of minutes and measure the available space on your current wheels using a plumb line. Here is a link to a post which should help with the measurements.

Measuring avaliable wheel space

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996CABOVA
I bought the same tire wheel combo off them a year ago and VERY satisfied with them. Great guys to deal with and very helpful. And they have a great product in their rims. Not a problem with them at all.
996CABOVA, very nice look on your car, convinced me this would work.

Did you lower or is that the standard ride height on those wheels? (I wouldn't lower if they fill out like that).

Did you add a spacer to the front wheels? Are you running any positive camber (just looks a little like that from the pic, obviously that could just be suspension reacting to an unlevel street, or my eyes playing tricks on me) ?

How are those Toyos on road noise, comfort, tread life? (compared w/ previous-gen AMG pretty much any modern tire has way more than enough grip for the sort of traffic we have here in Manhattan and surrounding) Would you buy them again?

Am I being a total jackass asking all these little questions? Please stop me if it's getting annoying, I 'm just so happy you have the same wheels AND tires on the narrowbody, makes my decision that much easier.

So finally, how was your tire wear with the setup you have, pretty even?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:25 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

The wheels look nice, but...

Old 12-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
The wheels look nice, but...

yezir!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:44 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
yezir!
Benjamin, saw pics of your car while searching for info on lowering, that is cleeeeaaan.

So I've never had to run spacers before on any of my cars, what is the primary criticism of spacers, I mean in a nutshell? Wobble? Shimmy? Wheels coming off?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:48 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Also I did speak with Wheel Dynamics just now, they have a shop in town, say spacers not needed but can provide for 40 bucks/set 7mm, will mount/balance/align, won't charge me tax since I'm an out of state billing address. Sounds like a done deal if no takeoffs show up on ebay between now and then.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:55 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carlos and Rolland there are great to deal with. They have a shop about a mile from my office here where I picked up my wheels from on Washington Blvd. They even arranged to have them painted flat black for me so all I had to do was pick them up and put on the car.

A little heavy for track use, but for a daily driver wheel, they work great.

Quick Reply: How About These 19" Wheels from Wheel Dynamics?