Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How About These 19" Wheels from Wheel Dynamics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Fat Sled
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

htny... The reason why I had the wheels delivered from Wheel Dynamics to my tire guy is because I've been doing business with my guy for years and he always takes care of me. His name is Kevin and he's the manager at Americas Tire Co.. They're located on Torrance Blvd about 1.5 miles east of Hawthorne. His telephone number is 310-328-6465. Great service and super fast. Tell him JP sent you.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:26 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
I can't argue with better handling, and I can always go back later if necessary. did you get the spacers from WD as well?
Spacers were H&R brand - (TUV approved) and came from Automotion

http://www.automotion.com/productpag...cid=22&sid=321

On the car here:

You'll need to buy longer wheel bolts from them as well, to allow the wheels to bolt in place through the new spacers - DON'T USE THE ORIGINAL BOLTS _ THEY ARE TOO SHORT!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
there's nothing inherently wrong with spacers... it's just that i find them to be extraneous, a band-aid for wheels that don't truly fit the car.

people will say race teams run them... they're a damn race team, you drive a street car with street wheels. people say even porsche runs them. porsche wouldn't if they could hand the cost down to the customer to get proper fitting wheels and their contraints are much more limiting than the aftermarket. no OEM wheels look better than an aftermarket offering so long ast he aftermarket wheel is built by a quality firm.

i only choose to spend my hard earned $ on wheels that fit:

-even when lowered, full lock, under compression the wheels should NOT rub

-wheels should push out to the edges as far as possible while still meeting bullet point above

-wheels should be as wide as possible within the physical constraints of the chassis/panels

so spacers help to push the wheels out and make it look better, but why bother if you can get proper wheels that do all that without having to use this bandaid?

people usually choose to pick these wheels taht require spacers because they don't take the time to research properly because they're too busy, ignorant, on a pretty tight budget whatever.

but then they come online and say oh it's awesome, it's great... for someone like me, that's not the whole story and they're doing a disservice to others by propagating misinformation.

good luck
Ben - you're full of BS

If you want the 19" 997 rims on a 996, as I did, then spacers are the only option, and have zero negative effect on the handling or ride.

I understand that you personally have had some traumatic experience in your past that leads you to be an E-hole over this - but actual experience, and plenty of it around this forum, leads me to believe that you're in a very small minority.

So shizzle m' fizzle - dem spacers is to kool for you fool!
Old 12-18-2007, 05:37 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After a lot of reading, I think the problem is I'm trying to put 997 wheels on a 996. Looking at everything out there, the OEMs needs spacers, the replicas need spacers, etc. Since this really is just a part time, west coast car for me, I really am not planning on pouring money into it, but I do love a decent set of wheels. I guess when I get to LA next week I'll see what fits in forged, make a game time decision.

there's nothing inherently wrong with spacers... it's just that i find them to be extraneous, a band-aid for wheels that don't truly fit the car.

people will say race teams run them... they're a damn race team, you drive a street car with street wheels. people say even porsche runs them. porsche wouldn't if they could hand the cost down to the customer to get proper fitting wheels and their contraints are much more limiting than the aftermarket. no OEM wheels look better than an aftermarket offering so long ast he aftermarket wheel is built by a quality firm.

i only choose to spend my hard earned $ on wheels that fit:

-even when lowered, full lock, under compression the wheels should NOT rub

-wheels should push out to the edges as far as possible while still meeting bullet point above

-wheels should be as wide as possible within the physical constraints of the chassis/panels

so spacers help to push the wheels out and make it look better, but why bother if you can get proper wheels that do all that without having to use this bandaid?

people usually choose to pick these wheels taht require spacers because they don't take the time to research properly because they're too busy, ignorant, on a pretty tight budget whatever.

but then they come online and say oh it's awesome, it's great... for someone like me, that's not the whole story and they're doing a disservice to others by propagating misinformation.

good luck
Old 12-18-2007, 05:38 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fat Sled
htny... The reason why I had the wheels delivered from Wheel Dynamics to my tire guy is because I've been doing business with my guy for years and he always takes care of me. His name is Kevin and he's the manager at Americas Tire Co.. They're located on Torrance Blvd about 1.5 miles east of Hawthorne. His telephone number is 310-328-6465. Great service and super fast. Tell him JP sent you.
Much appreciated JP!
Old 12-18-2007, 05:41 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

After a lot of reading, I think the problem is I'm trying to put 997 wheels on a 996. Looking at everything out there, the OEMs needs spacers, the replicas need spacers, etc. Since this really is just a part time, west coast car for me, I really am not planning on pouring money into it, but I do love a decent set of wheels. I guess when I get to LA next week I'll see what fits in forged, make a game time decision.
Don't let Ben pi$$ on your parade - he has spacer issues.....

996 with 19" and H&R 15mm up front actually handles better than stock 996 rims - and I've done plenty of miles to prove it.

H&R spacers are hub centric and therefore there is no wobble or alignment issue.

Just torque up as normal with the new longer bolts, and check again after a few hundred miles.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:42 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Spacers were H&R brand - (TUV approved) and came from Automotion
And if 15mm wider, which are the correct bolts (I have so many of these fitments in my head right now that I rolled them into an ROE calculation on a conference call earlier without realizing it, this pre-purchase obsession is bad for business!)
Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Thanks, seeing the width of the actual spacer helps. Are the H&Rs "hubcentric"?
Yep - so no alignment issues

Also have a nice little locking screw to keep them in place while fitting the wheel.

Quality product.

View of spacer through the wheel:

Old 12-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Ben - you're full of BS

If you want the 19" 997 rims on a 996, as I did, then spacers are the only option, and have zero negative effect on the handling or ride.

I understand that you personally have had some traumatic experience in your past that leads you to be an E-hole over this - but actual experience, and plenty of it around this forum, leads me to believe that you're in a very small minority.

So shizzle m' fizzle - dem spacers is to kool for you fool!

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA oh man wahahahhahahhah

thing is you picked the least attractive 997 wheels ... and yea, they're for the 997 ... yea... 996? so you have these metal extra things and... extra special bolts...

nice photos bud
Old 12-19-2007, 02:40 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA oh man wahahahhahahhah

thing is you picked the least attractive 997 wheels ... and yea, they're for the 997 ... yea... 996? so you have these metal extra things and... extra special bolts...

nice photos bud
Likewise - you stylin' Bro.... such an aanksta... MEH

Last edited by cdodkin; 12-19-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: How About These 19" Wheels from Wheel Dynamics?