Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1999 996 Limited Slip Witout Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Don't you just HATE it when they ship you a Ford part for your Porsche?
Thanksfully not that bad, but the computer says that my interior is grey and it's actually black.

It's not funny when you spend 3 days waiting for a part, then find out that they sent the wrong color.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:49 PM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to be able to test if a Honda had an LSD by hoisting the car in the air and spinning a drive wheel by hand in a certain direction. If the other drive wheel spins in the opposite direction, it had an LSD. Would this be the same for a Porsche?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donuts
I used to be able to test if a Honda had an LSD by hoisting the car in the air and spinning a drive wheel by hand in a certain direction. If the other drive wheel spins in the opposite direction, it had an LSD. Would this be the same for a Porsche?

Why not just peel out?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:44 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are building a track car why not put in a Guard 50/80? It is a great LSD and the 80 lock is amazing.$2,400 for the part.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:10 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

A 99 that I am looking at does not have code 220 (so did Porsche just decide to sneak in a part?) but has TC button. (It is also missing the option sticker)

I am old enough not to believe something until proven. In this same topic there are people with TC code but not the 220-LSD code.

Since the way a TC works is not dependent from the presence of an LSD I'd like to know where does this "HAS TC SO IT HAS LSD" idea comes from.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

My 99 is a low option car, but it did come with "Sport Chassis" on the window sticker. The sticker under the hood shows 014 (sports option package), which includes 030, 220, 375, and 376. The sticker also includes 222 and 224. The only other options are 424 and 688 for the CD radio and 983 for leather front seats. Eric
Old 04-20-2017, 11:30 AM
Neto
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

my MY 99 has both TC and LSD.... Also, there is a button on the dashboard to turn off TC.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:18 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

One easy way to get TC without LSD was to check the box for tiptronic.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:29 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

I had an aftermarket Torque Bias Diff in my 99 C2. It doesnt have Traction control or a factory LSD. I have to admit the car drives very well and is very fun.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:42 PM
Garage19builds
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
I had an aftermarket Torque Bias Diff in my 99 C2. It doesnt have Traction control or a factory LSD. I have to admit the car drives very well and is very fun.
I know everyone complains about reviving old threads but they also complain when you start a new one with the same topic so no idea what im supposed to do so anyway reading through these comments I'm still none the wiser. I have an early cable car carrera. With no traction control button or option code for it, I can easily do burnouts, dump the clutch so I assume this is a no tc car. However I'm unsure about lsd because I have seen on here that lsd was always paired with tc, and you would have an option code for lsd. I do not However with the wheels off the ground you can only spin one wheel for half a turn before the other starts turning, and if you spin one, one way and try to spin the other wheel the opposite way it catches and turns the opposite wheel the same direction. Also my rubber marks are from both tires not one. So I'm pretty sure I have lsd with no tc and also don't have those options on my sticker. To add I also have alot of small things in my car that has option codes for them on the master 996 option code list but once again even though I have them they aren't listed as options on my sticker. Example rear leather seats, rear seat belts. Things like that, that although seem to be pretty standard equipment they have option codes for those items on the complete code list. Can someone explain what the difference is between the locking differential code vs lsd codes even though I don't have either listed on my cars sticker I'm still trying to learn what they are to maybe understand what's listed on stickers, what might of been considered standard equipment why some things have option codes but doesn't get listed on stickers. My cars a manual 6 speed. Also trying to determine what the obd delete was and confirm that I don't have it and how to tell. I have read the obd cable cars have 4 levers on the column or something like that. I do not I read that even though tbey dont physicaly have a visual obd selector/lever, ic or something that they all have obd ports and dtc/canbus like other 996s. Can anyone confirm what obd looked like on a 98/99 car or confirm any of that info to straiten me out. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:00 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Just thinking back over the old days, with other first gen Porsche models, often the first year was kinda the Wild West, you could line item order especially if you did Euro delivery..
For instance, in 1969 you could order a bunch of different gear combinations in the 5 speed. A bunch, like each gear had a optional ratio. You had to be "connected" but it was a thing..

On the OBD there are two different things, OBD (The emissions monitor port that everything after 2006 has) or the OBC which is the dash display onboard computer.
The OBC has a lever to the lower left below signal lever, for scrolling through the menus, selecting stuff. The 2 items are not really related. Even the cable throttle cars have OBDII.
Now,, disclaimer, the OBD standard requires a minimum set of codes, Porsche uses MANY more than required, which is why to do a lot you often need a bit fancier code scanner. (PWIS or Durametric)
The following users liked this post:
Garage19builds (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 05:40 PM
Garage19builds
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 19 Posts

Well that makes more sense lmao OBC not OBD 🤣 well I don't have OBC in my car so I didn't know what it was. But definitely heard OBD instead of C at some point and kept calling it that lol. Thank you for setting me strait on that lol
Old 05-22-2023, 06:53 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Garage19builds
Well that makes more sense lmao OBC not OBD 🤣 well I don't have OBC in my car so I didn't know what it was. But definitely heard OBD instead of C at some point and kept calling it that lol. Thank you for setting me strait on that lol
No worries, I never understood why the OBC was an "option" when you had all the stuff there and it can be added by swapping the steering columns parts for the controls.. + all the oddities between drive by cable and drive by wire..

Quick Reply: 1999 996 Limited Slip Witout Traction Control?