Sponsored by:

3.4 Liter Rebuilt Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:17 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3.4 Liter Rebuilt Engine

My 01 996 C2 with 57,000 miles may be in need of replacement. I have oil in the coolant but no coolant in the oil. I have had the oil heat exchanger replaced and I will also have a leakdown test performed. I am just trying to cover all bases should replacement be the final answer. While my Virginia Beach dealership is $8,400 plus tax for factory rebuild with core exchange, is there a less costly way to obtain a quality rebuild with warranty? I am just wondering if anyone has had experience with 996 engine replacement.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2007, 04:30 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going through this right now. Suncoast quoted me $10,200 for engine with a $2,055 core return credit. Now, you also have to bear in mind that if the head or block is cracked then you're SOL on that $2K. My total quote from my local dealer was $17Kish with taxes out the door. So, if you can find a cheaper way to do it then I'm all ears as my 996 has spent longer in the shop than on the road at this point.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:06 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

The only difference for me is that I will have a local shop do the work. Lutzo with LMN Motorsports is an excellent local Porsche person who knows what he is doing. So I am just trying to find the engine. My core is fine now and that is also an issue. If I have a problem and a catastrophic engine failure at the track, then I understand the core would be worth nothing. I am driving the car today and things are running fine but oil in the coolant is not nice.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have oil in the coolant, you also have coolant in the oil because coolant pressure will be greater than oil pressure after the engine is stopped. It's just much more difficult to see small amounts of coolant in the oil than it is oil in the coolant. It's a really bad idea to be driving the car when the oil and coolant are mixing.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

You would think so but I had the oil checked chemically for Glycol. This was suggested a couple of months ago by Joel Reiser who answers questions for PCA and the 996. The test found 50 parts per million of glycol and this is extremely low. It still confuses me how this could be as swapping fluids would seem to go both ways.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That means that whatever is causing the leak is only exposed at the higher pressures seen in the oil circuit. It can happen like that. Good job on getting the oil tested.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:47 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

This might be due to coolant pressure max being around the 20 psi mark where oil pressure max is around 75psi. Possible that 20 psi isnt enough to seep past the trouble area but 75psi is.

I honestly hate to see all these folks have engine troubles with the 996. They are quickly becoming a performance bargain!!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:55 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
I am just wondering if anyone has had experience with 996 engine replacement.
You're kidding right?

Do a search for engine replacement and your head will spin with the amount of info and opinions out there.

Sounds like you had some warning which seems to be weird. I would have RUN to a dealer for trade in before I was faced with the $8500 bill. However, that sounds like a pretty good price compared to what we usually see on this board.

Best of luck
Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

http://car-part.com/
Old 12-01-2007, 04:20 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the 8500 incl labor?? If so....get it done....but I think the 8500 is parts only...labor will add another 5K or more.

I feel for you guys....maybe it helps that when you are driving a BMW the replacement costs are about the same...so it is not only Porsche charging such high prices for what I almost think is a desing ..lets call it weakness.

I am wondering if all engines that need replacement are in stick driven cars??
Old 12-01-2007, 10:08 AM
drmarkp
Advanced

There a crated unused 997 factory 3.8 engine up for just $8000 on the 997 board. Could that be of any use to you?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Zoolander
Racer

bella- Good luck with your engine repair. I hope that everything is done by spring. Your track car looks great with the black wheels. I have considered doing that with my seal grey.
I am envious of your Porsche stable of cars especially the white C4S. Nice.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your kind comments. I stumbled across a PCA member who was selling his GT3 Wheels, GT3 Seats, DAS roll bar and Schroth five point harnesses in the summer of 2006. He lives on Long Island and I got all of that for $4500. I confirmed with the 996 PCA advisor that the GT3 would fit my 996, same car, and they have made a big difference on the track.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:10 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doug for an opinion that would explain why this is happening. also, I have been extracting oil from the coolant tank with a 3/8 inch tube and placing in a clear bottle. Since the cooling system is large this oil could be left over from the original problem so if it keeps appearing after several weeks of extraction, at least this will confirm the problem still exists.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:27 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default 996 3.4 L Rebuilt

Well my mechanic and I determined that a rebuilt engine is the way we will go. Purchased rebuilt from Va Beach dealer with delivery next week. In the last month of street driving my 01 996, I continued to loose coolant on regular basis. As additional oil was appearing, I extracted coolant from the expansion tank into a one liter bottle. I filled it two thirds and half of that was oil. A week later, my mechanic pulled additional oil from the tank. While the engine runs perfectly fine, this problem will not go away. Replacing the head gaskets on each side is a possible fix, but we decided against this in order to be sure that the problem was resolved. I am replacing with the same 3.4 L engine and not going bigger like some I have spoken with. I just thought I would post to for anyone having similar oil in coolant issues.

My 996 is getting a transplant for Christmas!

Quick Reply: 3.4 Liter Rebuilt Engine