Funky Gas Gauge Trick

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
We've gotta get that Photoshop away from Tim....he's freakin dangerous with it.....perverse too!!

Me being perverse has nothing to do with PhotoShop..... I come by my perverseness naturally, thank you!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Born On 911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL!!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Brew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wwboater
OK so I am driving my 99 996 today. All of a sudden my gas gauge goes from 1/2 to empty, instantly. The low gas light starts to flash on and off. With in 30 seconds it returns to normal...... About 20 min later it does the same thing....

Do you all think that its a short some where or is it my cars way of telling me that some thing is wrong with my car......
A couple of years ago I went to the gas station and got some bad gas. The gas had to much of a certain chemical in it, I can't remember now what it was, you guys may remember this. Any way the fuel damaged the sensor in the tank and caused it to read improperly. Mine would show full when if fact it was near empty. It is possible that the fuel sensor wand in your tank is just now showing signs of this erosion or the cummlitive damage to the fuel sensor over and extended period of time because of the fuel in your area. This bad fuel distribution was nation wide with many cars effected. I was paid by Shell Oil for the repair of my fuel sensor and given a 20 dollar gas card for the trouble.The fuel wand sensor or dip stick if you like that goes down into your fuel tank can be replaced easily. Just a hint.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Brew123
A couple of years ago I went to the gas station and got some bad gas. The gas had to much of a certain chemical in it, I can't remember now what it was, you guys may remember this. Any way the fuel damaged the sensor in the tank and caused it to read improperly. Mine would show full when if fact it was near empty. It is possible that the fuel sensor wand in your tank is just now showing signs of this erosion or the cummlitive damage to the fuel sensor over and extended period of time because of the fuel in your area. This bad fuel distribution was nation wide with many cars effected. I was paid by Shell Oil for the repair of my fuel sensor and given a 20 dollar gas card for the trouble.The fuel wand sensor or dip stick if you like that goes down into your fuel tank can be replaced easily. Just a hint.
OMG Don't you see that we HAVE TO GET TIM A JOB! This thread has no time to discuss GAS It's just a front for the GOT TO GET TIM A JOB...thread that we can't start since Tim's wife might see it...OK?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Brew
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wwboater
OK so I am driving my 99 996 today. All of a sudden my gas gauge goes from 1/2 to empty, instantly. The low gas light starts to flash on and off. With in 30 seconds it returns to normal...... About 20 min later it does the same thing....

Do you all think that its a short some where or is it my cars way of telling me that some thing is wrong with my car......
Just as a side note wwboater, as you can see by the date of my membership I'm a new member. I caught a ration of Shi* for posting off topic and was even told by one member that he likes to think this is a professional forum and I should conduct myself accordingly. Well fellas, I can see now that some of our members are stand up comic wantabees and not really interested in helping members with their questions but like to make fun of other members problems. Ho Ho Ha hA. These are the very ones that will have the melt down when things don't go their way and life turns around and bites them in the seat of their "oh so what wax job" Iv'e seen it before and don't care if they clean their rear view mirror with a Q tip. Your question is legit. I think the problem was to much sulfer in the fuel. It eroded the silver coating on the fuel sensor. We got a major dose here in Florida.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:07 AM
wwboater
Instructor

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I do not see an easy way to the top of the gas tank so it will have to wait till this weekend. As far as the jokes go I would not enjoy this site if it was strictly professional. We are all human and need to get our daily stress relief some where.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brew123
Just as a side note wwboater, as you can see by the date of my membership I'm a new member. I caught a ration of Shi* for posting off topic and was even told by one member that he likes to think this is a professional forum and I should conduct myself accordingly. Well fellas, I can see now that some of our members are stand up comic wantabees and not really interested in helping members with their questions but like to make fun of other members problems. Ho Ho Ha hA. These are the very ones that will have the melt down when things don't go their way and life turns around and bites them in the seat of their "oh so what wax job" Iv'e seen it before and don't care if they clean their rear view mirror with a Q tip. Your question is legit. I think the problem was to much sulfer in the fuel. It eroded the silver coating on the fuel sensor. We got a major dose here in Florida.
Brew - First and foremost, no one made fun of the gas gauge problem. The two most probable causes of the gas gauge issue were mentioned in the first three posts. We have seen 3 or 4 examples of this in the past 12 to 18 months. If the potential reasons had not already been mentioned, I would have done so. So the help and advice had already been rendered. However, mentioning the same solutions numerous times does not add any vale. Maybe a few jokes don't add any value either, but it keeps the forum a little more light hearted and enjoyable while still being informative.

If you want to experience a dry, "stuffed shirt" forum, read the 997 or the GT3/GT2 Forums occasionally. IMO, those guys don't have as much fun as we do on the 996 Forum. Just a little different perspective on the thread we both read.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:56 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn....guess I'd better go back over to the 996TT forum and behave myself....maybe I'll even try the 930 side....
Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Damn....guess I'd better go back over to the 996TT forum and behave myself....maybe I'll even try the 930 side....
Chuck, I have a serious question for you. Of all of the various Rennlist Forums you have spent some time on, which is the most enjoyable and interesting?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
... The two most probable causes of the gas gauge issue were mentioned in the first three posts. We have seen 3 or 4 examples of this in the past 12 to 18 months. If the potential reasons had not already been mentioned, I would have done so. So the help and advice had already been rendered. However, mentioning the same solutions numerous times does not add any vale. Maybe a few jokes don't add any value either, but it keeps the forum a little more light hearted and enjoyable while still being informative....
Not all the the possibilities were brought up. Check your watch, is it six minutes behind????
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2007, 01:19 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Not all the the possibilities were brought up. Check your watch, is it six minutes behind????
Old 11-29-2007, 02:39 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim: I guess I like the 996 forum because I had one...really enjoyed the car, and this particular forum seems to have more fun. Whereas there's a lot of good DIY stuff and a lot of good advice, there's still a bit of humor interspaced to break the monotony of the mechanical mania. Also, the 996 forum probably has more participants even tho a lot are lurkers...but with sheer numbers, there are a lot of good suggestions and ideas. I found the special hose clamp pliers on this forum....made the job of taking off those damn hard-to-reach compression clips way down in back a cinch to take off. The 996 is a good basic platform, and a lot of the "how to" and "how come" transfers to the other cars...things like coolant...tools...window problems, tires etc. The 930 forum is all business....and has a limited following, but some very knowledgeable folks on it. How's that for a scenic tour thru an answer?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

I hang out on the 964 forum and it has great guys with a LOT of knowledge and about a 1/3 of the humor of this forum. This one is my fave although I like my 964 better
Old 11-29-2007, 09:28 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I hang out on the 964 forum and it has great guys with a LOT of knowledge and about a 1/3 of the humor of this forum. This one is my fave although I like my 964 better
That's because I am here and not there (964 forum)!

Obviously, just kidding. Although I think there are a few relatively new guys here that wish I was "there!"
Old 11-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
That's because I am here and not there (964 forum)!

Obviously, just kidding. Although I think there are a few relatively new guys here that wish I was "there!"
Correctamundo!

Quick Reply: Funky Gas Gauge Trick