Sponsored by:

Water Wetter and other Automotive Myths

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Desmodromic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Wetter and other Automotive Myths

If the product, Water Wetter, reduces the water temp. by 15-20 degrees as claimed and the the thermostat would insure that the coolant temp increases up to a certain temp. then why in God's name would a person use it? It just retards the initial temp. increase that one needs to run the engine at optimum condition and later the temp would catch-up with it!

Explanation, please?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Racing and heavy track applications are recommended for this product. It DOES work. In fact, the only reason for coolant is to prevent water from freezing in cold temps and allow the water to work efficiently within the engine.

A lot of racers run water only. Water Wetter helps make the water more efficient but reduces the problems if a coolant lines goes ka-bloom on the track.

Good stuff, but again - only for use in track cars.

C.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Water Wetter helps make the water more efficient but reduces the problems if a coolant lines goes ka-bloom on the track.
C.
Since I run this stuff in my race cars I agree with everything Chad has said except I don't understand the burst hose comment? It doesn't do anything for that condition as I speak from experience.

To add a little more, as a racer I am just as concerned with oil temp as I am water temp and in cold conditions even more. The water gauge will show normal temps but the oil temp will not even be close to a safe range especially in cool conditions. It usually is well into the warm up lap before the oil temp is up enough to be race ready. Be very careful thinking the water temp gauge is telling you all you need to know.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:32 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Desmodromic
If the product, Water Wetter, reduces the water temp. by 15-20 degrees as claimed and the the thermostat would insure that the coolant temp increases up to a certain temp. then why in God's name would a person use it? It just retards the initial temp. increase that one needs to run the engine at optimum condition and later the temp would catch-up with it!

Explanation, please?

It works...and that is that. It might be a myth to you but to people that have tried the product, it is simply a product that works.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:59 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

I don't buy it. Surfactants are useful for surfaces that the water can run off of. In a closed water circuit, where else can the water go? It may prevent air bubbles in some circumstances, however.

Surfactants are very common, cheap, and effective in extememely low concentrations (200:1). Any antifreeze should already contain adequate surfactants, I would think.

And yes, the thermostat controls the water temp, regardless of coolant. That phrase should be a tipoff to hype.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:05 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You believers should also install those electric superchargers that they sell on email. BIG power gains.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:08 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Wow!!! Can you imagine how fast your Hybrid would go with a Supercharger!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure what "Water Wetter" does, but running straight water for cooling makes sense scientifically. Water has a higher specific heat capacity than just about any other liquid. That is, water can absorb more heat (energy) per unit mass than most other liquids. That's why racers use it when cooling is all that matters. Of course water alone has no corrosion or anti-freeze protection so it's not for everyday use.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will vouch for water wetter, worked in a friends 'stang. Many dynos were done (Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford mags) using water wetter in the intercoolers of Lightnings with some minor hp gains. Couldnt tell a difference in my Lightning but 5hp gain in a 5500 lb truck is hard to notice.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 AM
bk12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is important that the main market for this product is an additive to an all water system when you run in races (most wheel to wheel organizations have these rules) that do not allow your cooling system to contain any anti-freeze. Anti freeze on the track is a very bad situation. I don't know that the benefits in a traditional coolant mix are all that great....but in an all water system, it works great.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Since I run this stuff in my race cars I agree with everything Chad has said except I don't understand the burst hose comment? It doesn't do anything for that condition as I speak from experience.

To add a little more, as a racer I am just as concerned with oil temp as I am water temp and in cold conditions even more. The water gauge will show normal temps but the oil temp will not even be close to a safe range especially in cool conditions. It usually is well into the warm up lap before the oil temp is up enough to be race ready. Be very careful thinking the water temp gauge is telling you all you need to know.
Whoops...The problems from coolant on a race track surface to be a bit more specific. Coolant is VERY slick.

C.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bk12
I don't know that the benefits in a traditional coolant mix are all that great....but in an all water system, it works great.
You're right - to a point. The big gain is simply removing the antifreeze from the mix. From the Redline .pdf about WW:
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2007, 10:16 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use water wetter in my 964 race car at the track all the time.

The only positive effect I would see is come anti-corrosion and anti-freeze properties w/o the slick anti-freeze problems.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Adding ANY non foaming water soluble lubricating fluid to plain water will increase the water's cooling effect. Adding 5-10% antifreeze to plain water will give the EXACT same cooling results as will the more expensive gimmicks. A properly setup cooling system will keep your engine more than cool enough running a 40/50 antifreeze mix anyway, so maybe the focus should be on what is wrong with your cooling system rather than what is in your cooling system.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
IThe only positive effect I would see is come anti-corrosion and anti-freeze properties w/o the slick anti-freeze problems.
Doesn't do that. Good read:

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/mo...ter_wetter.htm

My race cars have all Red Line in them and as good as their products are if they make it I am for it

Quick Reply: Water Wetter and other Automotive Myths