996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:33 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got about 48K out of my stock rotors. In that time, I went through 2 sets of stock brake pads and 1 set of Porsche Sport pads. The rotors probably would have laster 60K if I didn't switch to Sport Pads. The Porsche Sport pads eat the rotors a lot quicker. I got a lot of heat cracks and grooving with my first set of Sport pads. When I pulled the rotors off, I also found out my parking brake shoes were completely worn out.

I just re-did the brakes a couple DE's ago with all new rotors and Sport Pads for both ends. I did the work myself (brakes on these cars are really easy). Installing the parking brake shoes was the most difficult and time consuming part. You can change rotors and pads in about 10 minutes a corner on these cars. The parking brake shoes on the other hand took over an hour. It takes a while to get them adjusted right since you adjust one side off the brake lever and the other side off the brake shoe spring adjuster. For 4 new rotors, new parking brake shoes, new front and rear Sport Pads, the dealer made me a deal and only charged me $800 for the parts plus an afternoon of my time.

Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors