Sponsored by:

Looking for wheel center caps with black Porsche emblem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:52 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Red - have you thought about doing an "amberectomy" on your headlights? The mod cost is zero, zip, nada.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Sorry but, colored crest is the way to go, that small detail is not gonna contrast against the color of the car, its gonna contrast the color of the wheel. Its awesome with the silver wheels! Itll look great with any color car!

You're welcome to your opinion, but those of us that own white cars would disagree.

Considering that I have both colored and black emblems and can make the side by side comparison on the car I know which looks best on my car.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:03 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Red - have you thought about doing an "amberectomy" on your headlights? The mod cost is zero, zip, nada.
not true, you need to buy silver bulbs... you think the mod is worth doing?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:51 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by redridge
not true, you need to buy silver bulbs... you think the mod is worth doing?
I think it worth the effort, but I'll let you be the judge of that. Here is a link to the "amberectomy" DIY, which has a lot of "before" and "after" pics.

Amberectomy
Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I think it worth the effort, but I'll let you be the judge of that. Here is a link to the "amberectomy" DIY, which has a lot of "before" and "after" pics.

Amberectomy
Thanks Tim, I think that would make a nice winter project.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:20 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

You're welcome. In the same lighting conditions you car would look something like this, which is a nice change, IMO.
Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Okay, after several weeks of waiting, here's the final result of installing the Sport Design Wheels - before and after (courtesy of the photo in my sig.)

It will take a while to get used to the new look - it's different. Hopefully it grows on me.

My installer had real problems getting those crappy rear tires off of the rims. He's normally very good, but I had to leave the room and couldn't bear to watch him struggle - the joys of removing tires that are worn out and have sat around unused for a year. We got there eventually.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 04-17-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:39 PM
jasoncoker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my side of the story

Hello All,

Wow, heavy words are so lightly thrown (to paraphrase Morrissey).

So there are six Rennlist threads bashing me without so much as a rebuttal on my part. Nice mob mentality.

Wayne Devonport aka “Wellardmac” has given you his side of the story and I feel that it is appropriate to give you mine. I saw the threads a couple of days ago, but was too busy to respond as I have worked 65 hrs. in the past 5 days in the emergency department.

Wayne, you should have contacted me first before insulting me publicly to express your displeasure. You should have contacted me immediately and maybe we could have worked something out. I could have refunded your money and sent the wheels to someone else on the list. Instead, I actually emailed you to see if you had installed the wheels and to find out how you liked them on your car! Boy, was I naive.

So, here is the transaction from my standpoint:

I wanted to sell the wheels locally so as to avoid having any type of misunderstanding about the wheels and I also did not know how to ship them across the country. This much was stated in my ad. If I were trying to deceive someone, I would not have stated, “Local sale preferred, but I can ship if you really want ‘em.” I had a line of people who wanted to buy the wheels and I went through the requests in the order received so as to be fair to everyone involved—even though several potential buyers were local!

I then used half of one of my few days off to go to load the tires and go to the UPS Store for shipment. During this time, I discussed with Wellardmac the cost of shipping, packaging, and insurance. He stated that he needed to open a new bank account to link with PayPal b/c he was a self-described “security freak” [not my words], and wanted a discrete bank account attached to it. He offered to pay by credit card and I explained that I felt the wheels were a good price and therefore did not want to pay the extra credit card fees. He stated that he would pay via an account transfer instead. I agreed and the wheels were packaged for shipment. I had to make another trip to the UPS Store to sign my credit card charge and was informed that after I had left, Wellardmac had called the store to make sure that the wheels were actually there even though he had heard me discussing the packaging information which I then relayed directly to him.

At this point, I no longer had the wheels ($1000) and had paid the associated shipment costs ($267). So, in good faith, I was out almost $1,300 with only a promise of payment from the purchaser! I was under the impression that I would be paid immediately, but instead did not receive payment until the next day. I still was not worried, however. It turns out the buyer also paid with an E-check instead of an account transfer. This E-check would take over 5 business days to clear, incur a nominal fee, and it was for the wrong amount (only a trivial difference, though).

The day before the wheels were to arrive at Wellardmac’s house, I noticed that the PayPal check clearance date had now been postponed almost 15 days (until 29.Nov.)! I tried to contact Wayne to find out what had happened, and began to get nervous about the transaction. I called UPS and had them hold the wheels at the shipment hub until we could straighten everything out. It turns out that there was a PayPal error which was compounded by a B of A error. Wayne spent a lot of time talking to these vendors via telephone and conferencing me in. I suggested wiring the money to my account as a resolution for all of this (and having B of A absorb the fee in light of their error). The transaction was getting very unwieldy at this point, and I just wanted to resolve it. I also wanted to receive payment for the goods prior to their delivery (now 6 days from when I shipped them).

I told Mr. Devonport that I would not release the wheels until I was paid. He was upset by this, and felt that I was needlessly prolonging the transaction. Obviously we have different points of view on this, but I would never expect someone to give me goods before he received payment for them.

So, Wayne ultimately paid for everything with his credit card. I noticed that he had sent too much money and refunded him the difference immediately.

Now, as far as the wheels not being as described:
I answered every email promptly and accurately. I sent Mr. Devonport ten high resolution photos of the wheels (I am no photographer but I did the best I could). I never stated that the wheels were two years old. Rather, I said that they had been on my car just over a year and in storage just under a year. I thought that the wear descriptions were accurate and had already explained to Wayne that he should replace the rear tires. The fronts were not on the car very long, and I am not sure what the quarter test proves since these tire are borderline DOT-R tires and likely do not have as deep a tread as other tires. He also told me he was going to replace all of the tires since he had recently purchased a new set. I did not send photos of each tire for this reason. Whatever, I did not willfully misrepresent the tires. Finally, all of the centercaps were on the wheels and intact when I dropped them off at the UPS store. I do not know what happened en route.

Mr. Devonport got $3,300 wheels for $1000. Even if he refinished each one (which is not even necessary) he would still have gotten out for less than half price. He had all of the photos to examine prior to his purchase also. I had wanted to sell the wheels locally and I really wish that I had. I think my actions detailed above show that I was not trying to defraud another Rennlister.

So, to summarize the names I have been called by Wellardmac in these threads:
suspect character, irrational, unreasonable, paranoid, penny-pinching, jackass, and untrustworthy. He also stated something to effect of: “What do you expect from a guy who drives a 944.” He impugned my character and integrity by insinuating that I am dishonest and have broken the trust of the Rennlist community. All of this was done before even contacting me to discuss things first.

Furthermore, other “sheeple” in these threads have called me a weasel and said that I should be blacklisted from Rennlist.
This is all very mature and speaks volumes about those involved.

I have said my piece, thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
Jason Coker

P.S. I had no idea about passing on the credit card fees as I am not a vendor. Wayne, your fees were refunded this morning.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Thank you for ther refund. If there is anything in my comments that does not reflect reality, then please PM me and I will correct the comments.

Otherwise, we have both stated our positions, you refunded the credit card fees. I regard the transaction as closed.

Quick Reply: Looking for wheel center caps with black Porsche emblem