Sponsored by:

Looking for wheel center caps with black Porsche emblem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Looking for wheel center caps with black Porsche emblem

Anyone know of the cheapest place to buy black logo wheel center caps like the ones I have on my car (below)?

I have just acquired new wheels and they came with colored center caps - I'm not a big fan and want to replace them with black.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but I cannot help you with your request, but hey, start a Poll:

With caps
No Caps
Coloured Caps
B&W Caps
Who the fck cares

Sorry couldn't resist...besides I have had a few already
Old 11-17-2007, 01:17 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Phil, you can't use the current caps with your new wheels? If not, there are a couple of sets on Ebay

Porsche Black Center Caps #1
or
Porsche Black Center Caps #2

Now, do I also need to come up there and install the wheels for you too?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:39 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a black set.
want to swap?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Phil, you can't use the current caps with your new wheels?
Tim, you are losing it! It was Wayne who posted on his center caps, not me. I think you really are older than I am. Plus, I have colored center caps on the wheels my car came with, and like them
Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pl
i have a black set.
want to swap?
I would gladly swap, but to be honest I think that the colored caps that I have acquired with these wheels are not in great shape.

Let me take a look to see if they clean up okay and I'll let you know.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Phil, you can't use the current caps with your new wheels?
To be honest they don't look that great. They might look better when I get some 409 on them, but right now they don't look in good enough condition to go on my car.

As for getting the wheels installed. I'll probably do that on Wednesday. I think that they will need some TLC before I put them on the car. I think that the previous owner used to take them to "Fast and Cheap Tire" to get his tires changed, as I think that a blind 5 year old could have done a better job of changing the tires without messing up the edge of the rims.

The wheels are in good shape, but certainly a lot worse than I'd expect for 2 year old wheels. It would be more than generous to call them in "excellent" condition. The tires are also a lot more worn than the seller conveyed. The rears are on the wear bars (not 10%) and the fronts are closer to 50% tread, not 90%.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:30 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Tim, you are losing it! It was Wayne who posted on his center caps, not me. I think you really are older than I am. Plus, I have colored center caps on the wheels my car came with, and like them
OK, OK it was late last night or early this morning when I posted that. I guess I had the PA connection in the back of my mind.

That just proves that you are always on my mind, Dave!

Last edited by gota911; 11-17-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:58 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
To be honest they don't look that great. They might look better when I get some 409 on them, but right now they don't look in good enough condition to go on my car.

As for getting the wheels installed. I'll probably do that on Wednesday. I think that they will need some TLC before I put them on the car. I think that the previous owner used to take them to "Fast and Cheap Tire" to get his tires changed, as I think that a blind 5 year old could have done a better job of changing the tires without messing up the edge of the rims.

The wheels are in good shape, but certainly a lot worse than I'd expect for 2 year old wheels. It would be more than generous to call them in "excellent" condition. The tires are also a lot more worn than the seller conveyed. The rears are on the wear bars (not 10%) and the fronts are closer to 50% tread, not 90%.
Wayne, that's a shame that the actual condition of the wheels are not as they were "advertised." I would contact the seller and voice my displeasure and see if he will make a small adjustment in the price.

If he is not willing to do that, post his name here and we can make sure none of us ever buy anything from him again! It is a shame when you can't trust another Rennlister to accurately disclose the condition of a product. Screwing our Rennlist "brothers" on a transaction is heinous!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Tim,
I'd thought about contacting the seller, but I'm not sure that it's worthwhile. The experience was not my best and I think that moving on is the best course of action. I found the seller to be paranoid and penny-pinching over insignificant issues, even when I demonstrated that I was operating with total honesty and transparency. He's a med. student in debt so some of his penny-pinching can be excused, but perspective would have been a good thing as well considering that there was bickering over $10 on a $1300 transaction. In the end I just said "screw it" and did whatever I could get get the deal done and get out.

I was worried at the time that the photos of the wheels were posted that they were taken at night with a flash - this has the effect of washing out the details in the image compared to photos taken in daylight. I contacted the seller and obtained high resolution photos which I inspected and to the best of my ability spotted all of the visible flaws and was comfortable with them. I then contacted the seller and was told that the wheels were around 2 years old maybe more. I was told that he had the wheels on his car for about a year. - I figured how bad a shape can they be in?

The reality as I said is that the treadwear was beyond described (in fact the rear tires are beyond the wear bars and in worse condition then the ones I removed from my car earlier in the year. The tread on the front tires comes up to the top of the E in "liberty" of a quarter, which is a guess at 50% treadwear, but it's probably more when I think about it.

On top of that the colored caps look old (and arrived with two of the metal emblems detached from the wheels and in need of gluing back on).

Don't get me wrong, the wheels are in "good" condition and much as I would liked to have paid less for them I could probably say that I paid on the high end of what they're worth. When I first saw them I did regret the transaction and even considered not putting them on my car, but examination of them in daylight they look better and can probably be fixed to my standards with some micro-scratch remover and some polish. There are some areas where the finish is flawed, but probably not to the level that someone who is not a perfectionist (me) would notice.

Overall, it was a buyer beware kind of experience.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

That just proves that you are always on my mind, Dave!
Dave's not here.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Wayne, sorry about the negative transaction. I can understand two people disagreeing to some degree on the condition of wheels, but the tire wear issue is BS. Agree with Tim, it wouldn't be a bad idea to expose this guy (even tho he is a newbie doc in debt) to Rennlisters so we won't be lulled into dealing with him.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Wayne, sorry about the negative transaction. I can understand two people disagreeing to some degree on the condition of wheels, but the tire wear issue is BS. Agree with Tim, it wouldn't be a bad idea to expose this guy (even tho he is a newbie doc in debt) to Rennlisters so we won't be lulled into dealing with him.
Exactly - disagreement on condition, well, that can easily happen - it's all a matter of perspective and how high your standards are. The wheels are certainly over 2 years old and the Crests appear to be a lot older than that.

Tire wear is different. I was figuring that I'd use the tires for autocross, but to be honest they're not even in good enough shape for that and I'll probably end up just trashing them. Saying that the have 10% tread left when you've already worn down the wear bars is pushing credibility.

I'm intending taking photos in daylight later today.

Jasoncoker was the seller.

The transaction wasn't perfect - some of it was Jason's fault, some of it was the fault of Bank of America and Paypal for screwing up the funds transfer, but the level of paranoia was unjustified when it was obvious that I was doing my best to sort things out and operating with openness and honesty.

At one point I even teleconferenced him into a discussion with the manager at Bank of America that was trying to help me get the transaction sorted and he was still being unreasonable about the manner and timing of when he expected me to complete the funds transfer. The wheels were sitting 5 miles away from where I work and 15 miles from my home in the UPS depot and he put a stop on their delivery and threatened to sell them to someone else in PA. There were several occasions where I almost told him to sell the wheels to someone else and refund my paypal transaction, but I kept telling myself that this wasn't worth the hassles for the sake of wheels that I wanted.

In the end I paid his credit card fees on the Paypal transaction and I paid the fees that he caused by putting a stop on the delivery of the wheels. Unnecessary and trivial costs, but he made the experience painful. I spent all of Thursday night on the phone, rather than spending it with my wife and son. Hopefully it's an experience that I never repeat and certainly hope that i never have an experience like that with a Rennlister.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 11-17-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Jasoncoker was the seller.

In the end I paid his credit card fees on the Paypal transaction and I paid the fees that he caused by putting a stop on the delivery of the wheels. Unnecessary and trivial costs, but he made the experience painful. I spent all of Thursday night on the phone, rather than spending it with my wife and son.
It goes without saying that this guy needs to be at least informally "blacklisted" from Rennlist. Sorry this happened to you. I feel the same way whether it's a $1000 or $100 transaction. Sometimes, we tend to be all too trusting. There are weasels to be found even on Porsche discussion boards!!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

It goes without saying that this guy needs to be at least informally "blacklisted" from Rennlist. Sorry this happened to you. I feel the same way whether it's a $1000 or $100 transaction. Sometimes, we tend to be all too trusting. There are weasels to be found even on Porsche discussion boards!!
Thanks!

Yup. I'm open and honest in everything that I do. I operate with integrity and expect others to do the same - sadly the world isn't as ideal as I'd like.

I wouldn't call Jason a weasel, that's a little strong. I'm sure that he's a nice guy, but he was not the perfect seller. He was irrational and was "generous" in his description of the goods he was selling.

I'm also sure that because I didn't think it reasonable to pay his transaction fees (which I eventually paid) and my bank messed up the funds transfer that I'm not the perfect buyer, but when I saw an issue I went all out to fix it and get the transaction completed.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 11-17-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for wheel center caps with black Porsche emblem