Sponsored by:

painted center console

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Ben - I agree with everything you stated above except the "my love for 19" wheels on the 996" comment. If that is how you truly feel, then you are guilty of violating your own "values."

We all have opinions on choices or wheels, the color of a car, supple leather or regular leather, options added or not added, etc. You have been very vocal, and many times not too subtle, with your comments about options or cars. I recall you using words like (an these may not direct quotes) looks like crap, looks awful when remarking about something you don't like. If you don’t like something you could be a little more subtle in your comments, but hey, you certainly don't have to do so.

Personally I have no problem if you don't like my "mostly stock" car because you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I truly respect your rights to have those opinions. But when you try to add "my love for 19" wheels on the 996" into your argument then you are attempting to set a double standard. Apparently you want one standard for yourself so you can make any comments you want about everyone's car and another standard for the rest of us which would prohibit us to say anything about your car. I’ll tell you right now, “that ain’t gonna fly!”

Again, I am in full agreement with everything else you stated above, but for the most part I don’t think this type of thing occurs very often. I have seen that most of us help keep these types of things in check, as evidenced by those who gave you support in this thread.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

and i see what you're saying... but there have been a couple of cases where people have directly responded to my love for 19" wheels on the 996 with pics/inferences that suggest people who love 19s belong to a certain ethnic background which is absolutely hilarious given it is thru the written word amongst strangers. so i take it with a grain of salt thus the reason why i even paid my $15 to be a member.

now it's totally diff if these people came up to my face and had the ***** to say the very same things... and to a certain extent me too except the things i'm saying are really centered around the actual car part/modification etc and not the person's skin color, sexual preferences, etc (for the most part ). y'all can make and say whatever you want about my car, but that's damn hard because i don't go and buy, install the very things that i blast. my car is a very good looking 911 and i'll say one of the best looking modified 996s anywhere. that's my honest opinion. but again, i dish out fully expecting to get dished myself. bring it.

bottom line , i'm no angel, but you will never see me resort to racist comments and i do my best to stick to teasing/being candid about car parts/mod decisions even when people so often look at my avatar and make fun of the tattoo, the hat, the pose, the wife beater shirt etc. i don't and never will strike back and talk about how they are pale, overweight, short, tall, hairy, love to eat bacon, clueless about fashion, and think the NFL is the best sport ever in the whole wide world. i'll just move onto the next ugly mod/911 and tell them about it. HAHAHAHAH

all in all, it's entertainment for me, but there is a line that i myself don't cross and in the one time i remember where i did, i apologized publicly.

btw, i have the oem CF console and CF compartment lid. should i paint these arctic silver?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

.....You have been very vocal, and many times not too subtle, with your comments about options or cars. I recall you using words like (an these may not direct quotes) looks like crap, looks awful when remarking about something you don't like. If you don’t like something you could be a little more subtle in your comments, but hey, you certainly don't have to do so........
It's quite different to say someone's car looks like ***, then making a blatantly racist comment about the person. We all ripped on that Millennium car on ebay. I'm confident enough in my taste not to get my panties in a wad when someone says my car is ugly. There's no need to lash out at the person. I like that Ben is honest, I rarely agree w/him, but it's just a matter of taste. That's what's cool about the 996, it has many forms - coupe, cab, targa, C4, C2 - we can get what we like and show some personality it it.

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
......btw, i have the oem CF console and CF compartment lid. should i paint these arctic silver?
No, that would look like ***
Old 11-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob in WA

No, that would look like ***
It'd be a crazy experience to have my car and your car in the same garage and we rag on each other's mods all day, yet we still are cool with one another because of the respect factor.

But then again, in the Korean culture, respect for elders is a big deal so I'd actually have to bow to you when greeting you and saying good-bye. LOLOLLOLOOLOLOL
Old 11-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It'd be a crazy experience to have my car and your car in the same garage and we rag on each other's mods all day, yet we still are cool with one another because of the respect factor.

But then again, in the Korean culture, respect for elders is a big deal so I'd actually have to bow to you when greeting you and saying good-bye. LOLOLLOLOOLOLOL
LOL!!

Damn, I should've married a young Korean, I could get used that. My Irish wife throws things at me when saying hello or goodbye.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
LOL!!

Damn, I should've married a young Korean, I could get used that. My Irish wife throws things at me when saying hello or goodbye.
a Korean wife would throw sharp things - the grass is greener...

p.s. i'm sure your irish wife makes you a very happy man and so do many Korean wives for their husbands.... yea
Old 11-27-2007, 02:27 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

and i see what you're saying... but there have been a couple of cases where people have directly responded to my love for 19" wheels on the 996 with pics/inferences that suggest people who love 19s belong to a certain ethnic background which is absolutely hilarious .....

btw, i have the oem CF console and CF compartment lid. should i paint these arctic silver?
OK, now I understand the context of the 19" wheel thing. I honestly don't recall reading e 19" wheel/ethnic association. I guess it didn't stick in my memory banks.

Maybe you could paint arctic silver stripes on the CF console and lid! Now THAT would look like ***.

Seriously, no don't paint the CF. Get a arctic silver console from Eric and if you like it, sell the CF stuff. BTW - I think your car l@@ks good. BTW part 2 - You need to be MUCH nicer to me because I am probably twice your age!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

OK, now I understand the context of the 19" wheel thing. I honestly don't recall reading e 19" wheel/ethnic association. I guess it didn't stick in my memory banks.

Maybe you could paint arctic silver stripes on the CF console and lid! Now THAT would look like ***.

Seriously, no don't paint the CF. Get a arctic silver console from Eric and if you like it, sell the CF stuff. BTW - I think your car l@@ks good. BTW part 2 - You need to be MUCH nicer to me because I am probably twice your age!
i was just kidding about painting the CF! i'd be nuts to do that. I think CF is the best look period on a black interior 911. it's the most $$ too unfortunately.

and i have been nice to you! you're like the most vocal guy on here. need to have you on my side. LOL yea, if i haven't i'll do my best to give you the benefit of the doubt and be more respectful. if anything your post count kills mine!

as for the rest of the suckas who don't know better, F 'em.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

you'd think the general socio-economic background of porsche owners would prove otherwise, but in my experience here thus far, this place is a zoo in a not so great way.

i'm pretty amazed at the level of toleration toward racial undertones, homophobic remarks, ultra-ignorant views that have transpired from just my name, avatar, and my love for 19" wheels on the 996. it's kinda sad.

anyways not to take it too off course since this is a hobbyist site that i do get a lot of good info from sometimes... painted console is a MUST.
Maybe the prices of 996s aren't high enough to keep the riffraff out anymore.

Kidding. Holster your weapons, boys.

Seriously, there is a definite 'Lord of the Flies' element around this forum sometimes. It's hard to believe that anyone could take the fun out of owning a Porsche, but it's come close a couple of times.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:01 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think painting the console is a bad idea if you happen to have the aluminum-look (aka, painted) accents all over the interior. Two different silvers kinda clash, IMHO!

Of course, if you have grey or any other color, it looks very cool.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Actually Andy, we match it to the precise same finish as the interior components whenever possible.

That said, alumalook has changed over the years. On your '00 it is closer to Arctic, on '02+ year 996's it is a matte clear, lighter silver with more metallic flake, and in the 997, something even different from that!

But we can match it.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-27-2007, 03:08 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Actually Andy, we match it to the precise same finish as the interior components whenever possible.

That said, alumalook has changed over the years. On your '00 it is closer to Arctic, on '02+ year 996's it is a matte clear, lighter silver with more metallic flake, and in the 997, something even different from that!

But we can match it.
Ah, then that would look cool!

PS--My aluma-look silver shift **** and boot surround is matte and a lighter silver. Go figure!?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know Ben. I didn't see the earlier comment as a race thing, rather a funny play on your name. However (IMHO), you have received some race type posts in some past threads that you should not have.

I find it curious that you are surprised by the amount of "crap" that gets thrown your way. Surely you realize your post are frequently very opinionated (i.e. "that mod looks like crap" or "your car looks stupid without 19's" type posts). Combine these highly opinionated posts with a "in your face, playa" delivery, and I guess some feel within bounds to send "trash talk" back at you.

I'd guess, (if it really bothers you) that if you tone it down a little most will respond in kind.

Unfortunately, the "king of bling" label you seem to have earned will probably be hard to shake.

I enjoy your posts.

Bump!!

Just Kidding!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray S
I don't know Ben. I didn't see the earlier comment as a race thing, rather a funny play on your name. However (IMHO), you have received some race type posts in some past threads that you should not have.

I find it curious that you are surprised by the amount of "crap" that gets thrown your way. Surely you realize your post are frequently very opinionated (i.e. "that mod looks like crap" or "your car looks stupid without 19's" type posts). Combine these highly opinionated posts with a "in your face, playa" delivery, and I guess some feel within bounds to send "trash talk" back at you.

I'd guess, (if it really bothers you) that if you tone it down a little most will respond in kind.

Unfortunately, the "king of bling" label you seem to have earned will probably be hard to shake.

I enjoy your posts.

Bump!!

Just Kidding!!
ray, it is outright veiled racism, man. the pictures, the comments, the hip hop references for what because of the hat and the wife beater two american fashion staples? LOL c'mon dude. i know you see it just as the other smart folks who do. and i'm not acting all innocent here because i predicted it.

and so it doesn't bother me like world hunger bothers me. it's more of an "entertaining disappointment" than anything else, but then that's all relative given we are on an internet forum, but then i do spend time on here as it is my sole channel to blog. plus we do all share 1 common bond being we like our 911s and talking about it.

i'm going to stay the course and be myself. i'll call it like i see it.... about your 911, car parts, modifications and stick to it. yet when i do this, all that these weak sauces can do is make it personal, make it ethnic, make it something not about the car. it's elementary school time.

and just like in life i'll choose who i befriend. there are definitely some of you've i've written to where if you were in town and said let's grab a drink and throw down, i'm there. there many more of you where i'm like you gotta be kidding me, i'm busy.

and to stick to my playa delivery , i close this post with these lyrical poetics...

"You should love it way more than you hate it oh you mad I thought you’d be happy I made it I’m the cat by the bar toasting to the good life moved out the hood now you tryin to pull me back right"
Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't get a lot of Fiddy quoted around here...
Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceP
Don't get a lot of Fiddy quoted around here...

Quick Reply: painted center console