BBS Motorsport Wheels

Old 11-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
that's what i figured.

jim, are those 20lbs champion wheels "strong"? i way i'm thinking is, if BBS can barely make their forged LMs (two piece) lighter than 26 pounds for 19s... but then champion touts their forged one piece as stronger or stronger at 20 pounds each... what gives?

from people who do track and are generally in the know about what gets fuqed up in "race" conditions, they say there are no shortcuts. if you want a strong wheel that's durable, it's goign to weigh more than the super lightweight one piece wheels no matter what the copy writer pushes thru.
Give the guys at wheel enhancement a call about the Champions. They do sell them, but they also sell brands like Fikse and BBS.

Ask them how many are raced, and how many come back bent. They'll give you the straight skinny.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's good advice Ray. The guys at WE are very good.

One important point is that racers consider wheel halves to be consumables. We expect to bend them and expect to rebuild wheels on a fairly regular basis. That's the trade-off we accept in return for light weight. If you're not willing to deal with bent wheels then you won't be happy with very light wheels.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i actually ordered my porker three piece 19x12 work wheels thru alan at wheelenhancement. alan actually did mess up on my order after an 8 week wait for these things from japan, but he made up for his mistakes.

since i never track my car, i'm fine with going for the pretty boy wheels like the LMs, oz 3s, work broms.

thx for the education, fellas.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motorsports wheels, when used on the street will generally need to be rebuilt quite often if you want to maintain structural integrity. If this is not a concern, you can try with the Racer's Group also.

I got my Black BBS Motorsport Aluminum Center Rims from Carnewal and it was fast, service was excellent! Make sure you ask about the lead time.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 193 Posts

Forgeline
Old 11-16-2007, 01:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,478 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Ben,
Here is a pic of the mag LMs. They are pretty rare. I think they were developed for the Supercup series in Europe. I can use them on my cup car with centerlock hubs or on my 996. As you can see, the spokes are similar to your LMs.
Jim
jim's LM is EXTREMELY rare, very similar to manthey's version.

the more common BBS LM as available through tire rack is NOT in the same league.

the original poster seeking for alum center 3 pcs BBS motrsport wheels, contact alex ross at sharkwerks. they used to carry them, not sure if they still do. gert at carnewal.com also got them.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

That's good advice Ray. The guys at WE are very good.

One important point is that racers consider wheel halves to be consumables. We expect to bend them and expect to rebuild wheels on a fairly regular basis. That's the trade-off we accept in return for light weight. If you're not willing to deal with bent wheels then you won't be happy with very light wheels.
you are too kind.
ONLY the wheel halves are consumables?
i had 3 sets of fikses. when i fly over berms, the halves AND the center gets renewed. basically i am buying new wheels a lot
Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The BBS racing wheels are under constant development so you can't compare a 4 year old version with what you get today.
Even recently, the design of the wheel halves was changed to an even stronger version.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:29 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
you are too kind.
ONLY the wheel halves are consumables?
i had 3 sets of fikses. when i fly over berms, the halves AND the center gets renewed. basically i am buying new wheels a lot
And it only took you three sets to figure out they weren't racing wheels.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:27 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

And it only took you three sets to figure out they weren't racing wheels.
LOL, took me a long time to realize that RACING teams use them b/c they are SPONSORED. i tend to sponsor myself

love BBS 3pcs racing wheels, but i need to save up some more money. for the moment, CCW and jong bloeds are doing their job well.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:45 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The wheels on the "lead" car to your left were purchased directly from BBS. BBS shipped the wheels to a shop in Charleston and I had them installed the day I picked the car up at the POE.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBS Motorsport Wheels