Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

$700 for replacing the rear plastic cab window!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

yup. even the rolled towel inside with the chop. just pitiful that PAG/PCAN use plastic windows to begin with. While all the other high end marks were using glass, it took them until 2002 to add it? WTF is that?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:08 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's "the chop"?
What is the cost for installing a GAHH top?

I think I'll get another quote and then see what to do.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The "chop" is when you're putting your top down, stop it halfway through and give the window a karate chop to make sure the window folds nicely. Then put an old t-shirt or thin towel in there so the two halves of the window don't rub each other. I only do this when I'm putting the hardtop on for the winter.

My six year old window is in perfect condition. I use the Porsche polish once or twice a year and Plexus in between, each wax.

I'm not positive, but I think the install of the Gahh top is ~$1k.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Maximus
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I paid 1000 euro's to have my rear window replaced on my 996 cab. This was a few months ago in the Netherlands (Europe). Consider yourself lucky for living in the USA

Greetz,

Maximus
Old 11-11-2007, 04:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Maximus
Consider yourself lucky for living in the USA

Greetz,

Maximus
Every day Max, every day. However, there are some that don't. Like those that complain that we pay $3.25 a gallon.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Well I got the other quote, drove for 2.5 hours for this:
$1295 with PVC plastic window
$1495 with TPU plastic window
They take the top off and stitch it in.
So back to the first place again, $700 now seems cheap, I guess it's because the rains are coming ...
Old 11-13-2007, 01:11 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Every day Max, every day.
+ 1, no matter what we pay for gas.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:48 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

One of the things the tech guy told me was to try and keep the top up rather then down. Didn't much matter to me since I am a Coupe type guy!

He said the tension was "more where it should be" over the long term. Evidently there is a lot of stress put on some of the cables. Maybe that is transfered to the glass area???

Don't ask which cables cause I wasn't paying that much attention!! I was more amazed at what was required to do what I thought would be a simple change!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnus,
I had the same done on my old 01 cab last year. The window and top were in great shape, but it was coming unglued in the corners
I got quotes all over the place. ($2500 from Fremont Porsche for new only, $1400 from a good cab top place, $900 from Carlsen Porsche)
In the end i went with Carlsen as removing the top seemed pretty complex and i only wanted the dealer to do this in case it got screwed up.
They sewed a new and better window in.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Every day Max, every day. However, there are some that don't. Like those that complain that we pay $3.25 a gallon.
are you still silver-spoon fed? actually i know you are except it's your wife holding the spoon this time as you've proudly admitted here in teh past.

i grew up silver-spoon fed, but know enough to realize why your comment is so insular in nature.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

seriously Ben, do you enjoy being the board's biggest jackass? you make some posts sometimes that make absolutely no sense, you talk out of your ***, and all too often, you interpret every post the way you see fit rather than what was obvious intent. you truly are a sad person.

back to the ignore list for you. very predictable once again Ben.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that has to be the quickest response to a post of mine that i've ever experienced

hey so isn't here a way for you guys to get the glass window since it does cost so much already to re-do it with mediocre plastic?

no matter how clear your plastic is, the glass upgrades the look by leaps and bounds. trust me.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:02 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
are you still silver-spoon fed? actually i know you are except it's your wife holding the spoon this time as you've proudly admitted here in teh past.

i grew up silver-spoon fed, but know enough to realize why your comment is so insular in nature.
That was rude. Once again, Ben, you've gone and attacked the person rather than the point.

I took Dell's point to be about the relative cheapness of our gas, compared to that paid by people in other countries. I don't see how Dell's personal financial situation is even relevant.

CP
Old 11-13-2007, 06:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

CP....you'll have to excuse Ben, he often talks out his *** which is something he needs to work on. Seeing what he posted (he is on my ignore list) since you quoted raises an interesting point. He seems to think that my wife is the ONLY reason there is a healthy income in my home. He couldn't be further from the truth. I gave up a very lucrative consulting job to follow my wife's career in the AIR FORCE. It just so happens that her income now in the private sector allowed me to go back to my TRUE passion.....teaching. Of course, in academia, the work of a PhD is more altruistic/philanthropic than a cash grab. I'd like to think that every day I go to "work" I make somebody's like better. Can't imagine Ben comes close to that. Ben suffers from something called jealousy. Hence the reason he is now back on my ignore list. Just tired of this "new" Ben that just doesn't seem to think before he types.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:07 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Thanks Dr_KarlB!
I'll call Armand's auto upholstery tomorrow and go for the $700 job.

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
Magnus,
I had the same done on my old 01 cab last year. The window and top were in great shape, but it was coming unglued in the corners
I got quotes all over the place. ($2500 from Fremont Porsche for new only, $1400 from a good cab top place, $900 from Carlsen Porsche)
In the end i went with Carlsen as removing the top seemed pretty complex and i only wanted the dealer to do this in case it got screwed up.
They sewed a new and better window in.

Quick Reply: $700 for replacing the rear plastic cab window!!