996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Changing Brake Pads-How not to do it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:01 PM
drmarkp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first Stig was Perry Mcarthy (Audi Le Mans driver, one outing in F1). But he lost the the job when his identity became public knowledge. This Stig has been in place 2 years and his identity remains a secret.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i cringed reading about your experience. but hey i guess this is part of the joy of car ownership?

just curious, how critical is this vibration dampener and why is it not common other cars?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rleeq
Does anyone know for sure what type of anti-vibration dampers my car came with from the factory? The simple rubber adhesive type or the ones with the metal protrusions which fit into the caliper pistons. What is the proper way to remove each type? In other words, how do you seperate the dampers from the brake pads?

TIA for any help.

My indy mechanic who helped me get the job done on Friday night told me that he sees these things all the time now. His method: small pry bar and a rag over the caliper so you don't scratch the heck out of the paint on the caliper.... When done right, there is a n audible "POP" of the adhesive snapping. The pads then come right out and the discs with the metal protrusion will then fall out of the caliper.
The front pads were "Jurid" branded, the rears were "Brembo" branded - and I believe that these were probably the original brake pads that came with the car - 2002 C4S, which I bought with 13900 miles.

Thanks to Nick at Euroworks for the assist - my brakes worked flawlessly all weekend at CMP!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:08 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i cringed reading about your experience. but hey i guess this is part of the joy of car ownership?

just curious, how critical is this vibration dampener and why is it not common other cars?
Every new car has something you've probably never seen before.
I imagine that Porsche put these in to stop the whining about brakes squealing every so often.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Originally Posted by JonesnSince78
Huh? I' not sure what Loren could have done to make it more clear...
It would have been more clear by stating that the vibration dampers (the plates on the back of the pads, from my experience on other cars) have metal protrusions that stick into the pistons (from my experience, not on other cars), which might make them impossible to remove without forcing the pad out or removing the caliper.
I'm not saying that Loren hasn't done a good job with the article, but from the picture I thought the metal pieces were the pistons themselves, not attached to the plate. If nobody else posts pics of the dampers I can do it tommorrow.

I'm glad there are people like Loren who do their best to help DIY'ers like me - thanks Loren and Renntech, and of course to the Rennlist community, which is why I paid for my membership - lots of great info.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Pics of the vibration dampers - Front have solid metal cylinders on a "rubberized" plate that has been popped off the pad. Rear have the basket style protrusions. You can see that one stayed on (after I took the caliper off), one tore off. They are mounted with adhesive on the small round discs to the back of the pad.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Changing Brake Pads-How not to do it.