996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Changing Brake Pads-How not to do it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Changing Brake Pads-How not to do it.

So I wait until the night before the CMP track event to change brake pads on my C4S, which I've never done before. I've changed pads on numerous other cars, even with Brembos, so I figure no big deal.

An hour and a half later, after struggling to get the pads out of the first caliper, the first pad releases with help of a big screwdriver and some leverage. But there's torn metal on some strange looking round discs attached to the outside of the pad. Not a great time to find out that there are some stupid vibration dampers in there, and now the pieces that ripped off are stuck inside the pistons of the caliper. I've never seen anything like these on any brake pad I've ever changed, and certainly didn't expect them to be in there.
In all my searches for 996 brake pad changes, I haven't found a single mention of these darn things.

So, off comes the caliper, which I know is normally not required. Second pad comes out easily now. I get 2 of the 3 broken pieces out of the pistons, but the third is stubborn. I try a screwdriver, a magnet, a bent coat hanger - it won't budge. So I try the worst option - go press the brake pedal, and maybe it will push out - this should not have been in my list of options. Piston falls out of caliper, fresh superblue fluid dripping all over the floor.
So now I have to completely disconnect the caliper from the lines - and my old set of brake line wrenches doesn't have a 10mm. Time for the channel locks, as my regular wrenches are doing a dandy job of rounding off the corners of the nut for the line to the back of the caliper.
After a good 10 minutes of struggle, it finally comes off. Now what? A quick drive to my local indy shop and we get the piston back in, and nothing looks damaged. Dust shield won't re-seat, so in the garbage it goes - not that I need it anyway.

Tonight is going to be a long night getting the caliper back on, bleeding the brakes thoroughly, and then back to the original plan of changing pads. In total, this should only take about 6 hours when complete. If all goes well, I'll be on the track tomorrow, and all will be right with the world. Right?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I hate to tell you this but there is a Brake Pad Change DIY on RennTech.

Renntech Replace Brake Pads DIY
Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh dear God, why didn't you ask for help first?!?!?!?!? I coldn't tell you how many guys I have done brakes for in my garage (or walked them through it on the phone) for their first time. It is so simple it isn't funny but if you don't know what you are doing, a 30 minute pad change turns into a nightmare as you have experienced. Hope everything gets all back together properly and you have a great weekend

Doesn't go without saying that once it is all back together go test out your brakes in a place that you have some space (high school parking lot, mall after hours, etc.) and then get back home and make sure eveything is still "where it should be" for safe measure.

If you get stuck, we are here to help........
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Oh dear God, why didn't you ask for help first?!?!?!?!? I coldn't tell you how many guys I have done brakes for in my garage (or walked them through it on the phone) for their first time. It is so simple it isn't funny but if you don't know what you are doing, a 30 minute pad change turns into a nightmare as you have experienced. Hope everything gets all back together properly and you have a great weekend

Doesn't go without saying that once it is all back together go test out your brakes in a place that you have some space (high school parking lot, mall after hours, etc.) and then get back home and make sure eveything is still "where it should be" for safe measure.

Your heard it here, anyone has trouble, call Dell day or night. He's up all night because of the kid anyway!

867-5309
Old 11-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shustermeister

So I try the worst option - go press the brake pedal
I didnt think anything was out of the ordinary (I had a couple of dampers break too) until this part, then I thought,"oh no he didnt".
Old 11-09-2007, 09:46 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dresler
Your heard it here, anyone has trouble, call Dell day or night. He's up all night because of the kid anyway!

867-5309
hmm.. tempted to call that number.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ArneeA
hmm.. tempted to call that number.

It's some girl's house. I think her name is Jennifer or something.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
It's some girl's house. I think her name is Jennifer or something.
Actually, it's Jenny and she lives just down the stree..... uhmmm...... never miind!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh dear God, why didn't you ask for help first?!?!?!?!? I coldn't tell you how many guys I have done brakes for in my garage (or walked them through it on the phone) for their first time. It is so simple it isn't funny ........
Hey Dell, that's the way to build him up and make him feel better!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:00 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope Jenny don't change her number. I tried her number, but I lost my nerve.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:01 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gota911
Hey Dell, that's the way to build him up and make him feel better!
Some guys have a hard time with a brake pad change, others with a diaper change.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:08 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Originally Posted by gota911
I hate to tell you this but there is a Brake Pad Change DIY on RennTech.

Renntech Replace Brake Pads DIY
Hate to tell you - but I read that well before I started. No mention of the anti-rattle mechanisms on the pads.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Thanks - I've done brake jobs on other cars many times. Just never saw these stupid antirattle/antivibration things that looked like this before.
I was able to get help locally and get the job done right, but I was really dreading what might have happened...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Originally Posted by hwk72
Some guys have a hard time with a brake pad change, others with a diaper change.
That would be funny if I didn't have two little ones in diapers, too...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JBRipps
I hope Jenny don't change her number. I tried her number, but I lost my nerve.

LOL

Quick Reply: Changing Brake Pads-How not to do it.