996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Exporting my 911 to Europe... Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:38 PM
pierre_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought my 1995 993 cabriolet with me when I moved back to Europe after having owned it for 1 year in new york. to be noted:

+ you keep the car you know
+ you are allowed to drive 1 year with US licence plates (no issues of speeding or tickets, at all)
+ the US 993 has split rear seats with 3 point seating belt - someone offered (unsuccessfully) to buy mine just for that because fo kids transportation
+ most US 993 have more options than europeans ones (especially cruise control, AC, 17@ wheels)
+ porsche recalls work on a global basis

= cost is limited (I had it done by a shipper in order to avoid dealing with the paperwork - cost of 2500 usd all in door to door)

- transportation (1.5 month new york to geneva) and paperwork time (2 weeks to get appointment)
- if you want the car to look similar to european cars you should remove front and rear plastic additions to the bumbers and change the suspensions (US are higher) - but most people do it anyhow
- you may want to change the speedo to kmh even though the mph version shows km inside
- resale value will be 5-10% lower than similar european cars because of foreign origin
- you have to keep the car 1 year to avoid paying taxes

in summary, I did it and am very happy of my experience.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 AM
pierre_l
Instructor

Any feedback as to how the radio fm frequencies got adjusted from us to europe?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 AM
wucash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pierre_l
Any feedback as to how the radio fm frequencies got adjusted from us to europe?
I would just buy a used stereo. Way back when I know people who would take the radios apart and change few transistors. This works in 2nd and 3rd world countries were skills like that are cheap and plentifull. In US buying new US spec will be cheaper.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:32 AM
pierre_l
Instructor

Specifically, I have a pcm 2.0, and would rather keep using that
Old 04-13-2014, 03:30 AM
pierre_l
Instructor

The dealer did it : it took a few seconds!!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 AM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a US spec 928 and a UK spec 996 and I have to say overtaking is not a problem on twisty roads in the UK for the 928, nor in Europe for the 996. You just drop back a bit to get a clear view, different if your driving a normal saloon but not in a powerful car, you're still past quicker. The only issue I have with the 928 is roundabouts which bring cars in at an angle with a hedge down the centre. This causes an isssue with the rear pillar obscuring your view, again though being aware and chosing the middle or inside lane counters this. LHD is great for track days! Abundance of great drives in UK; and a whole variety of race tracks to experience which are all commutable. I wouldn't let it put you off bringing your car to the UK. I would note that the price comparisons to UK are not valid, since LHD car can be worth as little as half that of a RHD car in the UK, you'd be looking to sell in europe if you decide too...good luck!

Quick Reply: Exporting my 911 to Europe... Advice?