996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Exporting my 911 to Europe... Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:36 AM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exporting my 911 to Europe... Advice?

My wife and I are considering a move to northern Italy in the Alps and would really like to keep my car. Has any one done this with advice on costs, import regulations etc...

I will be going there in a week and a half for a couple of weeks to visit the wife's family. We have been considering this for a few years. She is part owner of the family hotel and farm there.

I have always been in automotive engineering and am sick of plant closures and the downturns. My current company wants us to move to Ohio, not that there is anything wrong with Ohio but...

Anyway, does anyone have firsthand knowledge of the issues I'll be facing with exporting the car to Europe?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-02-2007, 11:54 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

I'll be doing the same thing most probably myself in 6 months as I plan to end my current Expat assignment after 3 years.

If you own the car since more than 6 months in the US and don't sell it within 12 month of ownership in Europe, then you'll be able to classify the vehicle as moving good and are not subject to customs and VAT. However, some countries have in addition to that registration related taxes/dues that can be as high as 15% on the (usually local) current market value of the vehicle (e.g. NOVA in Austria). You can not avoid paying these dues.

You've also to expect that the registration authorities request small changes to your car (e.g. speedometer, lighting ...) but they should be minor and not too expensive. Some countries are further pretty strict with aftermarket stuff like exhausts. I believe the German TUF regulations are a good benchmark.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why bother IMO. Porsches are everywhere in Europe. Besides, there are better ones over there.

Sell it, save the money and buy a nice one over there. Proly a heck of a lot easier than to worry about a car that might sink to the bottom of the Atlantic.

Just my.02.

C.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Porsche911Carrera2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chads996
Why bother IMO. Porsches are everywhere in Europe. Besides, there are better ones over there.

Sell it, save the money and buy a nice one over there. Proly a heck of a lot easier than to worry about a car that might sink to the bottom of the Atlantic.

Just my.02.

C.
Actually with the exchange rate cars are way cheaper in the US. I don't think he could find a nice 1999 Carrera for less than 25,000 EURO and that currently translates to $36,000.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Is it worth the stress? Not really, IMO.

C.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even independent of exchange-rate issues, cars are way more expensive in europe than in the states-- even in the used market. often 50% higher. assuming the mods aren't too costly (i've heard headlight conversions can be costly), i think one may be better off transporting the car.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 PM
drmarkp
Advanced

Cheapest 996 C4 currently advertised in the Uk is $41,000 - 99 with 108,000 miles. They will be cheaper in Italy, but not a lot. Cars in Europe are way more expensive than in US - a new 997 S retails at close to $160,000!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

That is why I want to bring mine, the cost savings should be substantial if the taxes are not too high. Plus what a place to own a C4.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

I think hwk72 covered it very well. Key things to remember is to own the car for minimum 6 months in the US and not to sell until 12 months later and it will be considered moving goods.

I have the same plans for my 911. We are planning to move to Europe in 12-18months and I'm definately taking two cars with me. If you look at the prices in Europe for Porsches you will quickly see the benefit of bringing it with you. The exchagne rates now has just made it an even better deal.

A friend of mine brought his lifted Jeep with winch in the front etc last year to Europe and was surprised of how easy it was to get it registered. When the car is "moving goods" you get to by-pass a lot of laws and the rules are not as strict as if you just import it.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Yeah..but guys...you're base line is the dollar to Euro conversion. If he moves there, he's making Euros not US dollars. There would be no exchange...

C.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:43 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Yeah..but guys...you're base line is the dollar to Euro conversion. If he moves there, he's making Euros not US dollars. There would be no exchange...

C.
yeah. doesnt quite work like that.

Porsche in the US is HALF the cost of Europe. I wouldn't think twice about it.

I would aslo look at importing it into a country other than Italy just for the transport costs. For example I know there is quite a strong trade between the UK and US for imported cars and therefore many companies offer the servicve. I have no idea if the same is for Italy. As long as it lands in the EU, it shouldn't really matter which country.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:52 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Since you can switch the electroninc speedometer to kph, and Litronics already have self-levelling, the most significant change will probably setting up the side markers as indicator repeaters.

I will be doing the same thing when I move back to Britain around 2009, but I will probably leave the car US-registered for the 12 months I'm allowed to get away with, so I can deal with other moving issues first. You can insure through GEICO, just like servicemen and women serving in Europe.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:44 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by NNH
Since you can switch the electroninc speedometer to kph, and Litronics already have self-levelling, the most significant change will probably setting up the side markers as indicator repeaters.

I will be doing the same thing when I move back to Britain around 2009, but I will probably leave the car US-registered for the 12 months I'm allowed to get away with, so I can deal with other moving issues first. You can insure through GEICO, just like servicemen and women serving in Europe.
Rear fog light too. Driving a lefty in the UK is going to suck; overtaking on those narrow country lanes - or even the motorway - is hazardous. Car parks and drive-thrus suck also . Make sure you get some good rain tyres on there .

As for comments on the Exchange rate: you guys do realise the dollar sucks right now and is incredibly weak? Cost has nothing to do with the exchange rate, it's the taxes that make European cars more expensive.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Those that are commenting without living in the EU should be disregarded.

This post and the ones by PSriderv6 and NNH are posted by members that have lived in the EU.

It's a fact that cars are more expensive there and salaries are not proportionally higher. There's a reason that so many Brits own Porsches in the US, it's because they cannot afford them in the UK.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:53 PM
95M3CSL
Advanced

There are lots of forums online for expats living in all parts of the world. For the US expats that move to EU this question is not infrequent. Many are corporate temporary relocations but some are as you, pick up and start a new life. I'd spend some time on those boards or e-mail lists and read about the issues of the expats that do this.

I'm interested in relocating to Switzerland someday. It might be years from now but have the same question. Can I bring my car with me, how long can I have it there before I have to modify it, and what process would be required to do so. You still also need to consider whether the local garage can fix your not-quite EU car.

Regards,
Marc

Quick Reply: Exporting my 911 to Europe... Advice?