GT3 Body Kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:09 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazerblade
I did read Scott's thread and thats what got me thinking. I have PM'd him and he has been fantastic in info. I just needed a few more pieces to the puzzle and I have them now. Thanks all.

Paul
Paul - maybe this will help a little.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I could do to cut costs is get a urethane bumper, FRP wing, and use my existing rocker panels...

BUT... my rocker panels are for a MKI GT3 and the bumper would be for a MKII GT3... any thoughts on how that would look?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
nosub
Instructor

I got my 996 in April of this year and replaced the front bumper with a used OEM one (mind had dings and such) that was repainted. At the same time I installed a Techart rear wing and MKII side skirts. I did the installations myself and it was a breeze!
Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lerxst
What I could do to cut costs is get a urethane bumper, FRP wing, and use my existing rocker panels...

BUT... my rocker panels are for a MKI GT3 and the bumper would be for a MKII GT3... any thoughts on how that would look?
IMHO mixing MKI with MKII items will not look that good and you would get some shyte about it, I wouldn't give you shyte though I just think that the lines will not flow as they are different in design. I would just go ahead and get the bumper and wing, and replace your side skirts (side skirts that work with the front bumper as that is how the lines of the car flow from front to rear).
Old 11-03-2007, 01:14 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lerxst

It would look like a mis-match and I would not "cross dress" my P-car!

Personally, I like the lines of the MK I skirts better thatn the MK II skirts. If it were my car I would add the MK I front bumper and the wing you mentioned.

If you are set on getting the MK II GT3 bumper, then get the MK II skirts and sell the MK I skirts to help reduce the overall cost.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:18 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd do either all MKI or all MKII. If you go with the latter you could sell your existing skirts to help offset costs. If you go eith the former it will probably cost less overall and you'll have an easier time sourcing parts. MKII parts seem to be a little more scarce.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazerblade
This info is fantastic. That's why I love this place so much. I will check out all these places and links. This has made me quite excited about my winter and my baby girl.

Thanks,

Paul
awww how adorable

im liking all this aerokit talk. definitely transforms the 911 by leaps and bounds. good luck with it and enjoy the process.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:30 PM
bk12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wrestling with the mismatch option myself, and I am thinking it is not too bad. I have the MKI sideskirts on my 02 from the factory...too bad you can't find a MKI bumper to fit with the MKII headlights. I also prefer the MKI wing greatly to the MKII. At this point, I am leaning toward MKI skirts, MKI wing and MKII front bumper....oh my.....I am sure the p-car purists will be scoffing, but I am ok with that. I am still considering the sideskirt upgrade to match the front bumper, but deciding if it is worth spending the $$ for cosmetic reasons..not to mention I like the MKI sideskirts better.

Let us know what you decide and share some pics.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bk12
I am wrestling with the mismatch option myself, and I am thinking it is not too bad. I have the MKI sideskirts on my 02 from the factory...too bad you can't find a MKI bumper to fit with the MKII headlights. I also prefer the MKI wing greatly to the MKII. At this point, I am leaning toward MKI skirts, MKI wing and MKII front bumper....oh my.....I am sure the p-car purists will be scoffing, but I am ok with that. I am still considering the sideskirt upgrade to match the front bumper, but deciding if it is worth spending the $$ for cosmetic reasons..not to mention I like the MKI sideskirts better.

Let us know what you decide and share some pics.
I can tell you that I am not a purist, but the side skirt lines are an extension of the front bumper lines as the front bumper ends at the wheel. If the lines of the skirt is different than the front bumper it will not look correct IMHO. I want to say that the MKI are smoother lines while the MKII are more edgy.

If you look at mine below (sig pic) and deckman's above (avatar pic) you can see the difference in the front bumper and side skirts of each. Now imagine my sides skirts with there bumper and make note of the area in front of the wheel, to me it does not work (they do not match).

But hey go for it and it won't just be the purist that pick-up on the difference, it will be a lot of people that know the differences of the 2 kits. But like you said 'it is not too bad'
Old 11-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Moogle
Race Car

I have a rear spoiler decklid for Aerokit MKII 996 (03 and later)

For sale, came off my black car, OEM part, pristine OEM black paint. Removed from my car after less than 100 miles.

Will fit with RS spoiler or the regular GT3 spoiler (spoiler not included).

PM me
Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
awww how adorable

im liking all this aerokit talk. definitely transforms the 911 by leaps and bounds. good luck with it and enjoy the process.
Who is using Ben's computer? He should know better then to leave it on when he's away.

LOL
Old 11-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

I think I like the MKI but it would be nice to see side shots of both versions. I looked on google and could not find any good examples in the image section.

Your side shot Speed is good but I would like to see the difference posted here.

Thanks.

Paul
Old 11-04-2007, 12:13 AM
nosub
Instructor

I have the old front bumper from my '02 996 for sale. It is in very good condition except for a ding at the very bottom toward the right. It is easily repairable the body shop told me... If you go this route and are interested PM me... Can do cheap!
Old 11-04-2007, 02:06 AM
bk12
Racer

First, let me say the purist/scoffing comments were not pointed at anyone particular on this thread, or this site for that matter.

TSD....The MKII oem bumper has a similar line to the GT3 MKII on the side, just not as pronounced. Not nearly as round as the MKI, as you pointed out. I am aware of the differences and have been obsessing over what in the heck to do for an aero kit...time will tell. As far as mixing, I have seen pics, and they don't look too bad (yeah, you can bold it again if it pleases you ). You can notice the lines of the MKI skirts, while curvy, match the same pitch as the MKII aero front bumper highlights. Check out Jim's car to see a MKII front bumper with MKI skirts and wing...I think it looks great:

http://www.jimbreakey.com/photo_player_flash.html

I am really not a fan of the MKII sideskirts, and it pains me to know I will be dumping $1000 into a cosmetic mod if I decide to replace the MKI that came new on the car...nothing to do with performance as near as I can tell. All that being said, I have still been kicking it around and might go that route...decisions, decisions.

I do know that if I do choose to mismatch, I will weather through the dirty looks I get from the casual observers that know better

Anyway, not to make this thread about my aero obsession, pick what you like and post some pictures when you get it done, I am sure it will look great. Best of luck!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Lerxst
Racer

It never ceases to amaze me how helpful you guys are. Here's what I'm thinking now..

- Polyurethane MKII front bumper. MKI would be fine, but I've got a MKII car and am thinking it'd be a pain to do the body work to somehow match it up.

- Keep the MKI side skirts. Thanks for the pic bk12. I've been trying to find a pic like that, and it's even in my colour. I think Jim's car looks great with the mix. If the purists have a problem with it, they can start a collection to buy me some new skirts.

- Going with the MKII wing... just have to decide on OEM or aftermarket FRP

I can always get the skirts later if it doesn't work for me.

Last edited by Lerxst; 11-04-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: GT3 Body Kits