Sponsored by:

GT3 Body Kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:55 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Body Kits

Has anyone purchased & installed Vertex or Better Bodies FRP GT3 body kits? If so, how was fitment?

Is it worth it to spend the extra $1000 for the polyurethane kit from NRAUTO?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't speak for those kits specifically, but as far as urethane goes, that's what I will use for my front bumper because of scraping. I don't want it to break or crack. As for the rest of the parts I think I'd go with either urethane or CF. I've heard of some FG parts developing cracks over time. I'm sure there will be plenty of people have FG and say they've had no problems whatsoever though.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have installed a full factory kit myself. My advice, stick with factory parts. In particular, stick with factory bumpers. HOWEVER - there are a couple good afermarket groups out there. Two that I know of are Getty Design and MA Shaw. I have talked many times with Mike Shaw. Great guy, who loves Porsches.

Other than these two, I would stay away from places like eBay for body parts. In this realm, you get what you pay for.

Just my .02. Take it as you like...

Good luck.

C.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on MA Shaw, not from experience of dealing with them, but my car had the Aero I kit installed by the seller a few months before I bought it and it looks great, the fit is fantastic.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but why do people mod their cars (expensively) and turn around and sell them within months? The previous owner of my car installed PSS9's and the SSK two months before selling. I don't get it.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:22 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by deckman
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but why do people mod their cars (expensively) and turn around and sell them within months? The previous owner of my car installed PSS9's and the SSK two months before selling. I don't get it.
For some pepple the modding is the fun. Once they have completed their list of mods they get bored with the car and move on to something else.

BTW - His loss is your gain!

Last edited by gota911; 11-01-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... Getty Design is FRP and MAShaw is $5500... guess I'll keep saving my pennies.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:03 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 381 Posts

I just installed oem aerokit bumper and skirts, with a mashaw fiberglass wing. The wing required some prep, as all fg parts do, but my body shop said it was not bad. The reason I went with fiberglass for the wing is becaus it does not (or should not) contact the road surface, and the price differential between oem and the replica was huge. The price differential for the bumper and the skirts is not enough in my opinion to justify going with the inferior materials, especially when you consider the additional expense required to prep the non-oem parts. I did everything on my car, including paint, for just over 4k.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How difficult is it to DIY a OEM aerokit if it's prepped and painted? Could a fairly skilled person install the front bumper and side skirts them self? This would be a winter project.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazerblade
How difficult is it to DIY a OEM aerokit if it's prepped and painted? Could a fairly skilled person install the front bumper and side skirts them self? This would be a winter project.

Thanks,

Paul
Yes, I believe yo could DIY. I believe Wayne (Wellardmac) installed either the bumper or teh skirts himself. Maybe he will chime in here with some comments.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

Groovy, the bumper seems a bit intimidating but I don't know how it comes off. It might not be that difficult. I am looking forward to advice and inspiration.

Paul
Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazerblade
Groovy, the bumper seems a bit intimidating but I don't know how it comes off. It might not be that difficult. I am looking forward to advice and inspiration.

Paul
Paul,

you need to read ScottArizona's thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=54027

I am sure he can answer your questions regarding the Aero Kit I (aka GT3) for your car.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 381 Posts

Totally easy to diy. I did, and I'll confess to never having changed my own oil until I got my first boxster at age 28 (translation...I don't consider myself "naturally handy." I basically started doing all my own work after I realized how much more my mods (and repairs) would cost if I didn't). I found instructions regarding everything on posts in this forum and at renntech.org. I also used the TSB info at Renntech (for paying members only). The bumper is probably the easiset part (after you know where all the screws and fasteners are located). There are lots of posts on here about bumper removal (search for "radiator cleaning" and you will find posts detailing how to remove the bumper).
Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

This info is fantastic. That's why I love this place so much. I will check out all these places and links. This has made me quite excited about my winter and my baby girl.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Lazerblade
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Paul,

you need to read ScottArizona's thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=54027

I am sure he can answer your questions regarding the Aero Kit I (aka GT3) for your car.
I did read Scott's thread and thats what got me thinking. I have PM'd him and he has been fantastic in info. I just needed a few more pieces to the puzzle and I have them now. Thanks all.

Paul

Last edited by Lazerblade; 11-01-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I cannot spell.

Quick Reply: GT3 Body Kits