996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Suspension squeak help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:06 AM
UFO007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought some Wurth's from Amazon (had a gift certificate ). I'll try that first and take it from there.

[edit]
Off to do some of this next weekend in the 996:

Looking forward to running some slower lap times .
Old 10-31-2007, 12:23 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UFO007
I just bought some Wurth's from Amazon (had a gift certificate ). I'll try that first and take it from there.

[edit]
Off to do some of this next weekend in the 996:

Looking forward to running some slower lap times .
lol I know exactly what you mean after moving from a WRX...
Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Your suspension looks like it is the x73 spring shock combo, but upgraded to the GT3 swaybar. The shock is made by Bilstein and may be rebuildable if it is leaking. I'd drop the sway bar, hit it with a wire brush and then shoot it with some rustoleum.

+1 on cleaning the area and seeing if the oil returns.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Def. has GT3 adjustable bars on it. Look at the custom home-made looking front drop links in the second picture. Nothing wrong with it as long as they don't break as many members shortened their OEM links to work with the GT3 bar before the adjustable ones became readily available. Just keep an eye on them from time to time.

I have no input on the squeek however...should do OK at the track with that setup however.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

love the pics; even if "it looks like every other Seal Grey 996 out there."

welcome!!
Old 10-31-2007, 04:07 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Def. has GT3 adjustable bars on it. Look at the custom home-made looking front drop links in the second picture. Nothing wrong with it as long as they don't break as many members shortened their OEM links to work with the GT3 bar before the adjustable ones became readily available. Just keep an eye on them from time to time.

I have no input on the squeek however...should do OK at the track with that setup however.
OK, I'm confused....I decided to go look at adjustable drop links to rid myself of those creations of Frankenstein and they're all real short. In fact, looking at pictures, it seems that the shock mounting point (near the wet spot) is where the links attach. Why do mine go all the way up by the strut tower?

Here's a pic of the adjustable ones:

And here's mine:
Old 10-31-2007, 06:39 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Yours mount in the factory position, the after market ones mount lower, piggybacked on the strut clamping bolt. Shorter means less flex and the bar will have a stronger effect on body roll. It looks to me like the original owner took a short cut and made his own links. Not optimal, but not necessarily bad either.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Yours mount in the factory position, the after market ones mount lower, piggybacked on the strut clamping bolt. Shorter means less flex and the bar will have a stronger effect on body roll. It looks to me like the original owner took a short cut and made his own links. Not optimal, but not necessarily bad either.
Actually...I'm pretty sure the C4 mounts are in a different location then the C2 to allow clearance for the half shaft....could be wrong there but I'm pretty sure.

Andy

Quick Reply: Suspension squeak help