Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Airbag check recommended by Porsche - 4 years???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Airbag check recommended by Porsche - 4 years???

So I am scheduling a service for an oil pressure failure code that just came on today. I'm also having a brake fluid flush and tech inspection for an upcoming DE.
As part of the service, my dealer service tech is recommending that I have a $105 "Air Bag Check". He says they send a false air bag deployment signal to the unit after disabling the airbags themselves to make sure the system works. He claims that Porsche recommends this every four years.
I call BS on this as I believe it is every 10 years, but figured I'd check with the experts here on Rennlist for confirmation.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shustermeister
So I am scheduling a service for an oil pressure failure code that just came on today. I'm also having a brake fluid flush and tech inspection for an upcoming DE.
As part of the service, my dealer service tech is recommending that I have a $105 "Air Bag Check". He says they send a false air bag deployment signal to the unit after disabling the airbags themselves to make sure the system works. He claims that Porsche recommends this every four years.
I call BS on this as I believe it is every 10 years, but figured I'd check with the experts here on Rennlist for confirmation.

From my MY03 Owners Manual:

Airbag maintenance

In order to ensure long-term functioning, the airbag
system must be inspected by an authorized
Porsche dealer after 4, 8 and 10 years from the
date of manufacture shown on the safety compliance
sticker, and every 2 years thereafter.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:49 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Thanks for checking this! I'll be darned - I thought this was a creative service that they just made up, unless Porsche is doing this to help the dealers make money on 4, 8 and 10 year old cars.
Or maybe I'm just too cynical.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:47 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure what kind of signal they can send to an airbag system to test it. The sensors can not be tested without sending a long duration pulse of energy to them. Airbag igniters can not be tested, well I suppose you could look for an open in there, but they don't do that for fear they will ignite. You could test the electronics but that still leaves two other items unkown, the impact sensor and the ignitors in the airbag module.

I guess it is some sense of security to have the system tested.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:38 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by shustermeister
... airbag check...
My mother-in-law is fine. If porsche wants to check her out every 4 years, they should just keep her.

-td
Old 10-25-2007, 03:47 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by td873
My mother-in-law is fine. If porsche wants to check her out every 4 years, they should just keep her.

-td
I LOVE IT. That is great stuff.

I guess I am lucky, I only see my in-laws about 3x a year and they are always happy to see me.

Thanks for the laugh!
Old 10-25-2007, 03:52 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

My mother-in-law does not speak english and I see her only once a year, she's the first one I can get along with;-O
Old 10-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hendrick Porsche I guess... they seem to always push this. I posted the same msg a while ago, when they were suggesting this to me. At that time the experts on the board decided this service was not necessary

Following my post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/366445-need-some-quick-advice.html
Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default So to add to the discussion

I am looking at the 996 workshop manual in the Diagnostics/troubleshooting section 0 (69-01)

And it looks like the only time that one would actually test the airbag firing circuits is if the airbag fault warning light is on, or if the bags were deployed, and new bags are installed.

It sounds to me that you are paying $105 for someone to hook up a system tester to verify that there are no faults in the airbag subsystem. Of course you could do that yourself by verifying that the airbag fault light is not on.

The 4, 8, 10 yr. inspection is primarily a physical one to make sure the wiring is in good shape, and the bag and its enclosures are not compromised.

I would advise that if the airbag warning light has never been on, that you are just fine, and can save the $105, unless your dealer also tests your muffler bearings for the same price.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I am looking at the 996 workshop manual in the Diagnostics/troubleshooting section 0 (69-01)

And it looks like the only time that one would actually test the airbag firing circuits is if the airbag fault warning light is on, or if the bags were deployed, and new bags are installed.

It sounds to me that you are paying $105 for someone to hook up a system tester to verify that there are no faults in the airbag subsystem. Of course you could do that yourself by verifying that the airbag fault light is not on.

The 4, 8, 10 yr. inspection is primarily a physical one to make sure the wiring is in good shape, and the bag and its enclosures are not compromised.

I would advise that if the airbag warning light has never been on, that you are just fine, and can save the $105, unless your dealer also tests your muffler bearings for the same price.
If you find out how to turn the airbag light off, let me know please.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
If you find out how to turn the airbag light off, let me know please.
That is easy, all you need is either a Porsche System Tester or the Durametric diagnostic SW. Select the airbag module, read fault codes, clear fault codes. If the code will not clear, then you have a problem.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
That is easy, all you need is either a Porsche System Tester or the Durametric diagnostic SW. Select the airbag module, read fault codes, clear fault codes. If the code will not clear, then you have a problem.
Thats funny, the service advisor at the dealer near my house didnt know how it would be turned off.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Air bag test is PDP = Pure Dealer Profit!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Originally Posted by gota911
Air bag test is PDP = Pure Dealer Profit!
While I'm spending money on this, and the muffler bearings, I should have him make sure that the Fetzer valves are aren't full of gook, too, huh? [Blatant Fletch reference]
Old 10-26-2007, 12:52 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Hendrick Porsche I guess... they seem to always push this. I posted the same msg a while ago, when they were suggesting this to me. At that time the experts on the board decided this service was not necessary

Following my post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366445
Thanks for the link Dutchie! Yes, this is Hendrick. I guess for the $105 I would have a certified technician point out that the system show no faults , but that my sunvisor airbag decals are not in proper operation, as the previous owner removed them.

Quick Reply: Airbag check recommended by Porsche - 4 years???