Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Airbag check recommended by Porsche - 4 years???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:21 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you spell dealer?? uuhhhhh.....S......T.....E..A....L...E..R.....
Old 10-26-2007, 01:39 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The purpose of the airbag maintenance is to test the self diagnostics of the airbag control unit. You induce a fault and then check and make sure the airbag control unit sees the problem. A very worth while check no doubt, but its a bit steep at 105 bucks.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:10 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by shustermeister
While I'm spending money on this, and the muffler bearings, I should have him make sure that the Fetzer valves are aren't full of gook, too, huh? [Blatant Fletch reference]

I think they are also running a Fall special on the Air Replacement Service. For $89.99 they will remove the hot Summer air from your tires and replace it with fresh, cool Fall air. That will help your tires maintain their proper pressure since the air inside the tires and the outside air temps will be similar.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
The purpose of the airbag maintenance is to test the self diagnostics of the airbag control unit. You induce a fault and then check and make sure the airbag control unit sees the problem. A very worth while check no doubt, but its a bit steep at 105 bucks.
So this check would be to make sure the fault indicator works? That doesn't prove that the airbags are in proper working order, just that the system would be able to detect the fault they trigger. As mentioned previously, it doesn't seem that you can induce every type of fault that the airbag system could encounter without triggering the airbags. For instance, how will I ever know the impact sensor in the bumper is really working or not, unless I crash into something?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
The air bag monitoring circuitry self-tests itself every time the car is turned on. If you check the workshop manuals, you will see that there are no procedures for "inducing" a fault, only to diagnose a detected fault. These systems are completely closed ones, with all diagnostics performed automatically and continuously.

From a liability stand-point, the last thing manufacturer needs is some dumb-*** mechanic trying to simulate a faulty system, and in the process actually creating a faulty one.

But if you insist that there is a air bag maintenance test, I will reveal the secret DIY test that can save you the $105 that a dealer charges to do the exact same test.

1. Turn car on.
2. Observe if air bag light is on.
3. If light is not on, then air bag system is OK.
4. Turn car off.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:23 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Orient is 100% right on this...just another scam to take money from us...Oh yeah Tim...I saw a special on the air...You can get fresh Colorado air shipped free for $69.99.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:41 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shustermeister
So this check would be to make sure the fault indicator works? That doesn't prove that the airbags are in proper working order, just that the system would be able to detect the fault they trigger. As mentioned previously, it doesn't seem that you can induce every type of fault that the airbag system could encounter without triggering the airbags. For instance, how will I ever know the impact sensor in the bumper is really working or not, unless I crash into something?
Obviously you cant induce every single possible fault that might pop up. Thats impossible. The goal of the airbag maintenance is to ensure the system is electronically sound, which by the way is pretty much all thats possible short of actually crashing the car and seeing if if the airbags deploy. If there is a fault in the wiring to any airbag component, a fully functioning airbag control unit would know this, store a fault in the control unit and set the airbag light. What if the control unit for some freak reason lost its ability to diagnose itself and you never knew you had a problem? The whole idea of an airbag maintenance is probably a CYA for Porsche to avoid lawsuits but if you want to risk the life of you and your family over a few bucks please feel free to.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:05 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Orient Express
The air bag monitoring circuitry self-tests itself every time the car is turned on. If you check the workshop manuals, you will see that there are no procedures for "inducing" a fault, only to diagnose a detected fault. These systems are completely closed ones, with all diagnostics performed automatically and continuously.

From a liability stand-point, the last thing manufacturer needs is some dumb-*** mechanic trying to simulate a faulty system, and in the process actually creating a faulty one.

But if you insist that there is a air bag maintenance test, I will reveal the secret DIY test that can save you the $105 that a dealer charges to do the exact same test.

1. Turn car on.
2. Observe if air bag light is on.
3. If light is not on, then air bag system is OK.
4. Turn car off.
Yes you're correct. We know the airbag control units completes a self diagnostic every time the car starts. Say the control unit fails its self test and stores a fault saying so, but what if you're airbag light bulb in the instrument cluster is burnt out. Or, say the fault was for an open in the wiring for the side airbag. How would you ever know that you have a problem and that if you got in a wreck your side airbag wasn't going to deploy. Now there might be some people on these forums who every time they start their car watch the instrument cluster go through its bulb check and ensure every bulb is properly functioning. These people are ahead of the game and they can say almost for sure that there is no problem with their airbags since the light isn't on all the time, and the bulb is good. However, I'm guessing you don't since you left it out of your own asinine airbag maintenance plan.

Again, you're correct. There is no procedure in the manual for "inducing" a fault. If you need a shop manual to tell you how to safely induce a fault into the airbag system you may need some help with your objective thinking. How about pulling the plug connection under the seat? I think you could trust a "dumb *** mechanic" to unplug a connection. Hell you could probably even trust a PCA member to do that.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

All airbag firing circuits are tested at every vehicle startup. If the airbag controller or any other fails, then the DME controller would see the fault at startup when it polls all of the subsystem controllers for their health. If any controller is unable to report its condition or a fault, then the CEL will light, and then it will be up to a human (or a DAM module ) to find the sick controller. While it is possible that a warning bulb may be burt out, it is a very low probability.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

...just another way for the $tealer to shaft you from another position.

Quick Reply: Airbag check recommended by Porsche - 4 years???