Sponsored by:

rear foglight mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
mickey6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear foglight mod?

Would anyone mind helping me on the rear fog light mod?

What is the tidiest way to route the cable. I had the rear light out and I see the bulb is already there but obviously the circuit is not complete even though the harness is in place.

The plan is to jumper it to the other fog and possibly install much lower wattage of bulbs. Pointers will be appreciated.

Thx.

MiCkEy
Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Mickey - this is one of the first mods I did on my car. I removed the 4 screws on the black strip at the back of the engine compartment and ran ran the wire underneath that. It was pretty simple.
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:11 AM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the rear fog light mod?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

People whop want to blind drivers behind them wire in a second rear fog light bulb, despite the good reasons for there being only one on the left side of the car.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:29 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
What is the rear fog light mod?
Your car has one rear fog light, but is capable of accepting a bulb on the other side, too, though the harness is not powered at that socket. For North America, they disabled one side in order to reduce the risk that drivers behind would interpret the rear fogs as brake lights. Liability thing.

My Rover came with rear fogs on both sides. I'm grown up enough to know not to turn them on when someone is right behind me, and I much prefer the margin of safety of having two. I'd do it to my Porsche, too, but I have an irrational fear of cutting wires on a car that already has some funky electrical habits.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

I have only used my rear fog lights once.... yup, you guessed it..... in the fog! Since they are 55 watts, they are VERY bright and, in normal, clear driving conditions, can be blinding to those behind you!

CORRECTION: the rear for lights are 21 watts, not 55 as stated above. The Front fog lights are 55 watts

Last edited by gota911; 10-24-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
mickey6
Instructor

That is why I need to put low wattage bulbs in place of the high power ones. 55 watts is too much. i would rather have "wider" rear lights than the smaller ones. I need to be seen but I am considerate enough not to blind the dude driving behind me.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:21 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by mickey6
That is why I need to put low wattage bulbs in place of the high power ones. 55 watts is too much. i would rather have "wider" rear lights than the smaller ones. I need to be seen but I am considerate enough not to blind the dude driving behind me.
Respectfully disagree. If 55 watts is too bright, then your taillights are all you need to have on in the first place. That extra wattage is your margin of safety in real fog or heavy snowfall, where what would seem too bright on a clear night gets reduced to merely visible.

I drive my truck in truly poor conditions a lot... I like it that the snowplow behind me can see me ten yards sooner, and I'm sure he feels the same way. Just my .02. Good luck with the mod.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:38 PM
mickey6
Instructor

Bruce,

I would not want to use it as fog lights but as "rear parking/driving lsghts" that are wide enough to be seen from the side too. I hope that makes sense.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:49 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by mickey6
Bruce,

I would not want to use it as fog lights but as "rear parking/driving lsghts" that are wide enough to be seen from the side too. I hope that makes sense.
Ahhh... got it. You're disabling the rear fog and adding tail lights instead. Cool idea if you never plan to use your fogs. Share a pic when you're done?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:33 PM
nosub
Instructor

new to me.. how are the rear fog lights turned on?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by nosub
With the headlights turned on, you pull the switch out one stop for front fog lights. If you pull it again to the second stop, your rear fog light comes on.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nosub
When you trun on the parking lights or the headlights, you can pull the **** out 1 "click" and it will turn on the front fog lights. This will be indicated by a green light to the left of the light switch.

Only when the headlights are on can you pull the **** out a 2nd "click" and to turn on the rear fog lights. This will be indicated by an amber light to the left of the light switch, (below the green light noted above). NOTE: you can not turn on the rear fog lights if you have just the parking lights on.

This will only work if the key is turned to the accessory position or the car is running. If the ignition switch is in the off position, only the parking lights will be illuminated.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
nosub
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
When you trun on the parking lights or the headlights, you can pull the **** out 1 "click" and it will turn on the front fog lights. Only when the headlights are on can you pull the **** out a 2nd "click" and to turn on the rear fog lights. NOTE: you can not turn on the rear fog lights if you have just the parking lights on.

This will only work if the key is turned to the accessory position or the car is running. If the ignition switch is in the off position, only the parking lights will be illuminated.
YIKES! Wondering now if I have been blinding anyone... Had a car in the not too distance past which turned on the front fog lights when the **** was pulled out. Had been doing that on the 996 too... Wondering now if I was pulling it one click or two! Thanks for the education!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have it the Range Rover too. It does come in handy when someone is tailgating you w/their brights on.

I tap the brakes and turn on the rear fogs at the same time. They usually back off after that.

The Audi, like the P-car comes from the factory w/just one powered.

Quick Reply: rear foglight mod?