Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise rear wheel area. have a listen.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's not the tranny, but the CV Joints inner and outer both sides. They had hardley any grease and when removing the boots found water coming out out of them so I cleaned repacked and reinstalled. Ran through 2-3 gears and no noise so far, but it is still on jacks. The bad thng is it took all day and man was it messy and when I finished I forget to get hand cleaner. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:39 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

good job....on with more tunning!....get this beast running already!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:40 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mother
Well it's not the tranny, but the CV Joints inner and outer both sides. They had hardley any grease and when removing the boots found water coming out out of them so I cleaned repacked and reinstalled. Ran through 2-3 gears and no noise so far, but it is still on jacks. The bad thng is it took all day and man was it messy and when I finished I forget to get hand cleaner. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Real nice diagnosis...but wait... how old is this car? how many miles? are the CV boots cracked? Leaking but you would have easily spotted grease everywhere... water in all the CV joints? WTF... it sounds like it left the factory without or with minimal grease... Hope this is not a QA problem...

George
Old 10-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redridge
good job....on with more tunning!....get this beast running already!
I am soooo tired right now I'll put the tires on tomorrow and maybe take it for a spin down the street then it's off to the dyno if it checks out. I need to find out from vivid racing how they take there A/F readings etc.

Last edited by Mother; 10-25-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George Huang
Real nice diagnosis...but wait... how old is this car? how many miles? are the CV boots cracked? Leaking but you would have easily spotted grease everywhere... water in all the CV joints? WTF... it sounds like it left the factory without or with minimal grease... Hope this is not a QA problem...

George
This is a project car and was parcially submerged in the rear so water is understandable but the lack of grease it did have some but not enough by my standards. The car has 33,000 miles and the boots where fine and no grease splatters but then it is german and last time I was their I never saw so many people in casts... could be the beer mixed with grease/beer or some derivitive in their also

Last edited by Mother; 10-25-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Forgot to mention george it is a 2000 carrera with manual trans and if I was doing maintenance it would be easy check to pull the boots back and inspect and repack if nessecary for piece of mind.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 PM
mrussell
Track Day

Here's a diagnosis tip for the next time you have a noise coming from the driveline: drive along listening to the noise and then see if the volume or tone changes when you veer from left to right (back and forth). That will load up the CV joints and the suspension on one side at a time and help you pinpoint if the problem is on one side or the other. If your problem was poorly lubricated CV joints your weird noise would have been more pronounced turning one way over the other (unless you had the problem on both sides, in which case it would have been more pronounced at the apex of each back-and-forth turn).

Quick Reply: Clicking noise rear wheel area. have a listen.