Sponsored by:

Portable GPS Mounting Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007 | 09:33 PM
deano51
8th Gear

Default Portable GPS Mounting Ideas

Hi All,
New here, having just purchased my first Porsche, a 2003 996 coupe. Pretty basic with very few options. I ordered a Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS with Blue Tooth, which just arrived. I'm in California, where it is illegal to mount these on the windshield and so I'm hoping some of you can suggest other options that do not leave any lasting marks, etc. to the dash.

If you have some ideas, please share and, if possible pictures of your solution would be great.

Thanks!
Roger
Old 10-20-2007 | 10:08 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Default Garmin

I have the Garmin 360, which is a bit smaller. It is mounted to the inside, underside of the plain parcel shelf with the stock suction mount. The A/C adaptor is hidden near the fuse box, and the accessory external antenna is threaded through to come out near the alarm light on the dash. I think the 660 is a bit bigger, but it may still work.

Stefan
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2007 | 10:08 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Garmin I5...but it's really tiny. Works great though.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:28 PM
Carolina C4S
1st Gear

Go to www.kudausa.com

They have a lot of lower mounting ideas for the nuvi. That's where i ordered mine.
Old 10-21-2007 | 06:42 PM
K996
Racer

Government in-action!
No doubt in the interest of 'driver safety/reduced distractions/reduced visibility' they made it illegal to easily mount the gps up high where you can see it without taking your eyes off the road (my personal preference being on the lower left next to the dash and a-pillar) and instead make you bury it somewhere down next to the gearshift.

If you don't like the other center console mounting options you could also buy one of the older factory 'snap-in' cupholders that mount over the drivers side a/c vent. It's cheap enough that you could drill into this, attach a bracket and put the gps on it.
Old 10-21-2007 | 07:31 PM
BrandX
Instructor

Check out the cup holder mount for the 660 at mountguys.com. I just received mine, and I've put it together, but I haven't given it a road test yet. It looks like it's going to do a good job.
Old 10-21-2007 | 08:04 PM
deano51
8th Gear

Originally Posted by BrandX
Check out the cup holder mount for the 660 at mountguys.com. I just received mine, and I've put it together, but I haven't given it a road test yet. It looks like it's going to do a good job.
I like this idea! Please post your experience with it following your road test. Thanks
Roger
Old 10-21-2007 | 09:44 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

BrandX....I went to the Garmin site and couldn't find any reference to a cupholder mount for the Garmin. All sorts of winshield mounts, weighted mounts, suction cups etc....but I couldn't find the cupholder. That seems to be the least intrusive of all the ones offered and I'd like to see a picture of one.

Do you have a link to that particular mount?

Chuck
Old 10-22-2007 | 12:28 AM
deano51
8th Gear

Chuck,
BrandX refers to www.mountguys.com, which does show the cupholder mount; although too little detail to really see how it works.

Roger
Old 10-22-2007 | 02:29 AM
chih38
2nd Gear

Brandx

Please let me know your test drive for cupholder mount. Can you please also post a picture?

Chi38
Old 10-22-2007 | 04:03 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Deano: I went back again and found the ad for the cup holder mount...but like you said, there's very little you can see. I think they do that on purpose to keep folks from copying the design. There was one post sometime back where one of the Rennlisters actually made one out of a piece of 3 inch PVC pipe cut to size. I would imagine that the cup holder mount would be fairly simple...just an insert that fits the cup holder.

Maybe BrandX would accomodate your request for a picture....a better shot than the one they post on the ad....

chuck
Old 10-22-2007 | 06:11 PM
deano51
8th Gear

Chuck, It's as if you read my mind. Yesterday afternoon I got to tinkering in the garage and pulled a plastic lid off of a spray can and inserted it into the cupholder to see what's what. I think that if I get a piece of pipe as you described and cut it to be just about flush with the top surface of the cupholder, then glue a slick,flat round piece onto it--larger diameter than the cupholder hole--then I think it will be snug enough to hold the actual Nuvi mount. Snugness is, I think, the key. Another thought along these lines would be to cut notches in the bottom end of the pipe such that it sort of "locks" over that rectangular piece that keeps a cup from falling through. Does that make sense? Anyone else out there tried this?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Portable GPS Mounting Ideas