Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Tiptronic - what do manual owners think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:21 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

A tip won't let you shift from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th like you meant to do.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:08 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Far as I know, mine is on its 1st RMS, I havent changed it. I have 100,300 miles and bought it with 55,000 miles.
Are you waiting until you need a new clutch.... oh, wait..... you have a Tip.... umm.....er...... never mind!

Good Morning, Cory!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
From a guy who owns a manual 964 I really look down on myself when driving my tip 996. I mean, there I am driving around in daily traffic talking on the phone, AC blowing my hair, sipping my double latte(no fat) waving at my friends and just generally having a good time.....I hate that guy
OH, STEVEN!!!! I guess I never knew your 996 was a Tip! Phil may never drive his car, but at least it has a manual transmission!

Now the really important quesion is this: Which guy is the REAL Steven? A) The 964 guy or B) the guy that drives around in his 996 Tip with his Izod sweater draped over his sholders, with the collar on his Polo golf shirt sticking straight up in the back, sipping the no fat latte, while lightly feathering the gas pedal with his Cole Han deck shoes (no socks of course) while admiring the crease in his black & red Izod golf shorts (gotta coordinate with the car) while checking out his reflection in the rear view mirror through his look-at-me tear drop, bronze colored designer sunglasses?

Did I forget anything?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Are you waiting until you need a new clutch.... oh, wait..... you have a Tip.... umm.....er...... never mind!

Good Morning, Cory!
Morgan to you
Old 10-22-2007, 12:11 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harold
And in the turbo it brings the turbos on boost before a launch.
With all the publicity of the 997TT being faster than the manual, and the fact that this is done by severely torque loading the transmission prior to launch, one has to ask: Would you buy a used 997TT tip out of warranty?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all you Tip drivers, how much is the throttle response affected? One frustration with other autos is the torque converter acts like a big rubber band so you tweak the throttle but the effect is smoothed out
Old 10-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
OH, STEVEN!!!! I guess I never knew your 996 was a Tip! Phil may never drive his car, but at least it has a manual transmission!

Now the really important quesion is this: Which guy is the REAL Steven? A) The 964 guy or B) the guy that drives around in his 996 Tip with his Izod sweater draped over his sholders, with the collar on his Polo golf shirt sticking straight up in the back, sipping the no fat latte, while lightly feathering the gas pedal with his Cole Han deck shoes (no socks of course) while admiring the crease in his black & red Izod golf shorts (gotta coordinate with the car) while checking out his reflection in the rear view mirror through his look-at-me tear drop, bronze colored designer sunglasses?

Did I forget anything?
Pretty close

On 964 and racing weekends I don't shave and wear black The remainder of the time you nailed it bro
Old 10-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NNH
For all you Tip drivers, how much is the throttle response affected? One frustration with other autos is the torque converter acts like a big rubber band so you tweak the throttle but the effect is smoothed out
More or less right on. Just think of it as the wierdest automatic you have ever driven...with a limited memory. Kind of like a 3 year old on drugs
Old 10-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

My C4 is a tip. I have driven it 107,000 miles. Love the car. My 928 GT is a 5 speed, I have driven it 101,000 miles, love the car..........No regrets on either car.

The tip is a very sophisticated transmission........does things no auto box has ever dome for me before. Awsome capabilities. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NNH
Nature of the beast, cant defy physics.

If the converter is "locked up", it is similar to a manual when you tap the throttle.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
A tip won't let you shift from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th like you meant to do.
Tips wont let you change from (say) 4 to 2, or 6 to 4 in one change, which is what you may want to do but from 3rd to 2nd is no problem as long as within rev limit and 3rd to 4th is also no problem- wont let you upshift from 3 to 4 if it feels it is too early.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I've never had a tip....and I've read all the pro's and con's as well as the forums bouncing the advantages and disadvantages back and forth....a lot of the focus is on the connection with the car and how less sporty a tip is.....however for us senior citizens, another major plus is the fact that hips and knees go out and a tip gives us a way to stay in the mix and continue driving these great cars.

I looked for a tip when I bought the TT, but honestly couldn't find one anywhere close to the configuration I wanted, so I ended up back in a 6 speed. I talked to several folks who were looking to buy a tip and they too found it difficult to find one in spite of what others were saying about the readily available market of tips waiting to be bought. I will say that the hydraulic assist on the clutch makes it a bit easier on the bad knee....but eventually, I may be persuaded to look for that tip. I drove Mfletch's tip, and found it slightly less satisfying to drive than the 6 speed, but nothing I couldn't get used to....besides, the fact remains that you're still wrapped in a Porsche.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
With all the publicity of the 997TT being faster than the manual, and the fact that this is done by severely torque loading the transmission prior to launch, one has to ask: Would you buy a used 997TT tip out of warranty?
Wouldnt the torque loading be similar to dumping the clutch in a manual at high revs to get the car in the right power band for a quick launch, and with regards to keeping the engine on boost in the 997TT tip in between changes (which is where I thought the real advantage of the new 997TT tip was), wouldnt the load be similar to the torque load placed on a manual when a double declutch (for example) is performed on a manual car? Not sure about this though- I admit I really dont know in detail how fragile the torque converter etc is on one of these auto boxes.

Or does how an auto box function/work not take as well to these sort of things?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 PM
mdf
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Tip in my Audi S4. It' great and frustrating at the same time...great in that it's as easy as you want it to be, frustrating in that I can't really "launch" now can I? But stuck in traffic on the 101...well, you get the picture. I think it's more of a where you drive / how you drive / how you use the car questions then a "one is better than the other" type thing....

I must say that if you want to try a great transmission, go drive an Audi A3 with the DSG -- when that thing gets in the 997 next year, we will all want one. Trust me -- drive it. You WONT BELIEVE how fast the thing shifts!

cheers, MDF
Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a TIP is the way to go....(sorry TIM)....reasoning:

you can drink your Latte, text message, change you XM radio station, open or close you CAB AND have a conversation with your passenger ALL AT THE SAME TIME!! Now try this with a Stick! You will still be driving in first gear...and probably blow up your engine and come running to Rennlist to bitch about it!!

Quick Reply: 996 Tiptronic - what do manual owners think?