Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSS9's - Need New Sway Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007 | 11:32 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Good discussion folks, but as others have suggested changing the sways is NOT required when upgrading to PSS9s. Install the PSS9s and then drive it. I actually was considering the sways...had a professional driver take my car out on the track....he said DO NOT do the sways...it was already stiff enough virtually no roll. I have no problem with roll aggressive street driving in a cab!
Old 10-23-2007 | 11:38 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
So it sounds like if you buy PSS9s and want to do swaybars...
a decent option cost wise would be to buy M030 swaybars and use the stock droplinks - this should be good for street or GT3 swaybars....if they use stock C2 996 drop links,

or buy any other aftermkt swaybars and also buy droplinks .... which may be a better option for Street/Track but more costly
Actually, on a C2 you can use the H&R bars with the stock droplinks because the front bar is non-adjustable like the stock and M030 bars and it retains the same shape as well.

It's the GT3 bars, TRG, and others that change the shape of the end of the blade on the sway bar to creat an adjustable bar that requires the aftermarket drop links to be used.

No matter what the rear bar is you CAN reuse the stock links...however some still upgrade the rears links too for a beefier unit as the stock links can bend and break.

Andy
Old 10-23-2007 | 12:13 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
So it sounds like if you buy PSS9s and want to do swaybars...
a decent option cost wise would be to buy M030 swaybars and use the stock droplinks - this should be good for street or GT3 swaybars....if they use stock C2 996 drop links,

or buy any other aftermkt swaybars and also buy droplinks .... which may be a better option for Street/Track but more costly
You would want adjustable drop links also, especially with the PSS9's. Adjustable droplinks will eliminate preload on the swaybars when you change the ride height on the PSS9's.
Old 10-23-2007 | 01:16 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by ArneeA
You would want adjustable drop links also, especially with the PSS9's. Adjustable droplinks will eliminate preload on the swaybars when you change the ride height on the PSS9's.

good point as the PSS9 install will change the ride height.....

Any recommendations on adjustable Droplinks?
Old 10-23-2007 | 01:36 PM
MTB
Racer

Adjustable droplink uses metal bushing and overall construction is more rigid.
It rides more reponsive and should feel it in corner handling. OEM droplibk may not be strong enough for a bigger diameter swaybar, as I blended the front OEM droplink with OEM swaybar.

I bought mine from TRG
http://www.theracersgroup.com

You can also try:
http://www.tarett.com
Old 10-23-2007 | 02:15 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Gents I'm not trying to agrue the point of the adjustable droplinks...but from personal experience you need to really evaluate the purpose of the car when thinking about these links. The heim joints will wear and develop play which will result in clunking as you go over bumps. It's not a question of if...it's when.

Also for a road car even with coilovers your heights are going to be pretty close corner to corner and you've not going to have excessive preload on one side or the other....and if you're driving hard enough on the street to notice the effects of this preload you're a danger to others on the road. For instance if you properly setup your car, corner balance it for your drivers weight, and then set preload on the bars when re-attaching them you'll be spot on. BUT as soon as you add a passenger you're going to get preload again. You just have to ask yourself if it's all really worth it in the end for your use.

If you track your car often the adjustable links and adjustable bars should be the only solution. For those of you who don't track think about the potential of added suspension clunks with the droplinks over time and remember that when making your sway / droplink decision.

Another option when using the adjustable front bars is to use a shorter OEM style link. This is what alot of guys did to their C2's when upgrading to the GT3 bar before the adjustable endlinks ever became readily available.

Andy
Old 10-23-2007 | 06:53 PM
kc996
Racer

I had PSS9s installed and noticed a HUGE difference on the track and some difference on the street...obviously both positive. I did one event with the stock sways and then the next 5 DEs with H&R sways front and back. While the difference was huge going to the Pss9s I didn't notice much of a difference when upgrading to the H&Rs. I used the stock droplinks with no problems.
Just my experience. Hope it is helpful.
K
Old 12-22-2007 | 07:39 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Are both GT3 and H&R sways with adj droplinks easy bolt ons? Is there one that is easier than the other to install?
Old 12-22-2007 | 07:59 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chsu74
Are both GT3 and H&R sways with adj droplinks easy bolt ons? Is there one that is easier than the other to install?
Although I've only installed GT3 sway bars on my C2 and never H&Rs, I believe both installs are basically the same. The rear is very easy as it's below the car. For the front you need to take off some parts of the underbody as the bar is hidden. The drop links are in both cases just mounted to the suspension and the sway bar; not too difficult to change. I went with the GT3 bars as they are not really more expensive even with a set of front drop links. Got the bars from Brandywine Porsche (PA) with bushings for $300. Rennlister Insite can sell you drop links for a reasonable price. I use his front droplinks, so the total price of the whole set-up is <$500 with a 3-4h DIY.

Here's a link that shows insite's drop links
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale-ads-member-to-member-fs-wtb-free/370324-fs-986-996-adjustable-sway-bar-drop-links.html
Old 12-22-2007 | 08:07 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Thanks hwk72. is there a reason you didn't use insite's rear links? I am gathering a list for a pss9 suspension upgrade. what other items do you recommend i get?
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:29 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the OP for this thread I've been on the fence on the sway bar choices. Sounds like the GT3 sways with drop links is A+. Does anyone know benefits that the H&R springs have over GT3's?
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:40 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

None. GT3 springs are made by H&R. It is all about getting the right spring rates to match what you want.
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:49 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by roberga
None. GT3 springs are made by H&R. It is all about getting the right spring rates to match what you want.
Sways, not springs.
Old 12-23-2007 | 03:13 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

I didn't use the rear adj. drop links for the GT3 sway bars as the stock C2 drop links fit in the rear. For the front you have to use new, shorter drop links due to the different form of the GT3 sway bar. The H&R sways are IMO priced just to be a little cheaper than regular priced GT3 bars with new drop links; with H&Rs you can re-use all 4 stock C2 drop links. Insite's pricing for the front drop links and a cheap seller of GT3 bars (thanks to Paul996 who recommended Brandywine Porsche) were the main trigger for my decision to go with GT3 bars.
Old 12-23-2007 | 09:43 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

i had my car on a lift on the last oil change and saw the rear links. it looked so thin and felt like i can snap it in half. is it just my opinion or are they really just not that beefy?

Quick Reply: PSS9's - Need New Sway Bars?