Sponsored by:

PSS9's - Need New Sway Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Grabeard
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSS9's - Need New Sway Bars?

With the install of the PSS9's, is it necessary to also install new sway bars and drop links? I've done a search and some imply it must be done, others make no mention about doing anything more than installing the PSS9's. If its optional, what are the pros and cons to adding them?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:01 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

I believe that you can reuse your factory swaybars and drop links. However I do suggest you upgrade. Most simply to the factory bars that come in the M030 kit. However if you have a C4 most people suggest you go to a heavier bar in the front because of the added weight of the front running gear.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Grabeard
AutoX

I have a 2002 C2 Cab. What would be the benefits of upgrading the sway bars?
Old 10-19-2007, 12:20 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are you driving? Track use? Street? Aggressive canyon carving? I have a 99 C4 Cab with PSS9s and the stock bars....no issues, and I drive pretty aggressively, and the PSS9s alone are a nice upgrade. I will probably upgrade at some point, but I have felt no need with my type of driving. I would do PSS9's and if you feel you want more then upgrade your bars as well....On a C2 with normal to aggressive driving and not alot of tracking, then I wouldnt get the bars. On a C4 its more of an issue because of the additional understeer in the stock suspension.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:26 AM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Suspensions are made up of many parts that do different things. Shocks and springs are just part of the equation. They effect ride quality, squat, dive, set and recover. Swaybars effect body roll. You can effectively remove body roll by running your shocks stiffer, but you then also remove some compliance and ride quality. IMHO you really need to upgrade the whole package. This is not to say that you can't do just one part, it's not going to cause the car to blow up. You can certainly do it in stages. In my mind it doesn't make sense to go with a high performing suspension like an adjustable coilover only to cut corners by not upgrading swaybars. Again this is only my opinion and it is certainly not a necessity, but for the budget you put into your PSS9's you could have done Bilstein struts, H&R springs, new M030 swaybars and bushings or the M030 kit from Porsche installed. Again, and this is only my opinion I'm SURE others will pipe in with conflicting advice, but if you choose a system like the PSS9 that is really a mid level track suspension (height adjustable, damper adjustable, corner balance adjustable) you should go all the way and upgrade the sway bars too.

Since I entered the Porsche world coming from moding a number of different cars, this is the only forum where jumping into a coilover system is the norm. In most other performance circles I have found people just start out with springs and a sport valved shock, then sway bars and strut bars. It must be due to the abundance of money that P-car owners are willing to put into moding their cars.

You are welcome to disregard this whole post. I'm tired and just rambling.

In short, swaybars affect body roll (sway) in a car. Springs and Shocks or coilovers do not directly address this part of handling.

AA

PS to give some perspective I have upgraded suspensions on 4 various cars now
Old 10-19-2007, 01:33 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Suspensions are made up of many parts that do different things. Shocks and springs are just part of the equation. They effect ride quality, squat, dive, set and recover. Swaybars effect body roll. You can effectively remove body roll by running your shocks stiffer, but you then also remove some compliance and ride quality. IMHO you really need to upgrade the whole package. This is not to say that you can't do just one part, it's not going to cause the car to blow up. You can certainly do it in stages. In my mind it doesn't make sense to go with a high performing suspension like an adjustable coilover only to cut corners by not upgrading swaybars. Again this is only my opinion and it is certainly not a necessity, but for the budget you put into your PSS9's you could have done Bilstein struts, H&R springs, new M030 swaybars and bushings or the M030 kit from Porsche installed. Again, and this is only my opinion I'm SURE others will pipe in with conflicting advice, but if you choose a system like the PSS9 that is really a mid level track suspension (height adjustable, damper adjustable, corner balance adjustable) you should go all the way and upgrade the sway bars too.

Since I entered the Porsche world coming from moding a number of different cars, this is the only forum where jumping into a coilover system is the norm. In most other performance circles I have found people just start out with springs and a sport valved shock, then sway bars and strut bars. It must be due to the abundance of money that P-car owners are willing to put into moding their cars.

You are welcome to disregard this whole post. I'm tired and just rambling.

In short, swaybars affect body roll (sway) in a car. Springs and Shocks or coilovers do not directly address this part of handling.

AA

PS to give some perspective I have upgraded suspensions on 4 various cars now
If he isnt going to track the car, he wont really notice the difference. And the PSS9s are a GREAT street system....lowers the car, improves the handling while keeping the ride comfortable. I wouldnt call it a track system, nor do most track junkies, they say its too soft for hardcore track work, and JIC's are usually the suggested track coilover, yet they are a little harsh for everyday driving.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:16 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by newport996
If he isnt going to track the car, he wont really notice the difference. And the PSS9s are a GREAT street system....lowers the car, improves the handling while keeping the ride comfortable. I wouldnt call it a track system, nor do most track junkies, they say its too soft for hardcore track work, and JIC's are usually the suggested track coilover, yet they are a little harsh for everyday driving.
I respectfully disagree, how many times do we whip our cars around the corners... yeah not at 90 mph... but once you put the sways on it is night and day... They have more performance impact than the PSS9, on rollover... if anything sways should be the first mod before coilovers... the pss9 is great for lowering and adjustment and ride quality but stiffer sways just complements the adjustability... but I swear by sway bar mods.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redridge
I respectfully disagree, how many times do we whip our cars around the corners... yeah not at 90 mph... but once you put the sways on it is night and day... They have more performance impact than the PSS9, on rollover... if anything sways should be the first mod before coilovers... the pss9 is great for lowering and adjustment and ride quality but stiffer sways just complements the adjustability... but I swear by sway bar mods.
I fully agree redridge! The sway bar upgrade is very noticeable for street driving. I suggest going with GT3 or H&R sway bars. It's not very expensive but improves handling dramatically for street and track driving. You'll see why when you take a look at the stock- and the GT3 front sway bar.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Redridge and hwk, what kind of sways [and droplinks] do each of you have?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Originally Posted by newport996
They are a great street system, just overkill in my opinion if not going to the track. I also referred to the PSS9 as a mid level track set up. Obviously advanced track setups will have 2 or 3 way adjustability and remote reservoirs.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:53 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Originally Posted by Grabeard
With the install of the PSS9's, is it necessary to also install new sway bars and drop links? I've done a search and some imply it must be done, others make no mention about doing anything more than installing the PSS9's. If its optional, what are the pros and cons to adding them?
Drive your car with the PSS9s with the stock bars for a bit first. If you feel the need to firm up the suspension in corners then get the sway bars. The ride is a bit harsher(middle setting) over stock with GT3 bars and TRG drop links on my car with PSS9s. Don't mod because just for the sake of modding. Especially because others told you so.

Take the car out to a few PCA AX events as is, then install the sway bar to help dial in the suspension the way you want it. There is a noticable handling difference on the track/AX.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Sways bars with or swaybars w/o drop links? H&R does not have drop links - are these good fror street use or is it preferred to go with a swaybars with droplinks? I just purchased PSS9s - and I need to know this also
Old 10-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

anyone care to explain why droplinks are better than non droplink swaybars?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Drop links are required for ALL sway bars. The factory bars have a certain shape that dictates the factory drop links. However the aftermarket sway bars have a different shape that do not allow you to use the factory drop links anymore. Therefore if you buy the H&R swaybars you must also purchase droplinks so that you can attach them to the car.

The stock bars, and the M030 bars use the same stock drop links. I'm not sure about the stock GT3 bars. Someone can chime in here with an answer.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

So it sounds like if you buy PSS9s and want to do swaybars...
a decent option cost wise would be to buy M030 swaybars and use the stock droplinks - this should be good for street or GT3 swaybars....if they use stock C2 996 drop links,

or buy any other aftermkt swaybars and also buy droplinks .... which may be a better option for Street/Track but more costly

Quick Reply: PSS9's - Need New Sway Bars?