996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Its nice to be back in a Porsche 996TT to 997TT Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you guys who say this is a waste of money understand it is not that big of a deal to do what he is doing?

A set of coilovers cost more than the labor of changing out the rear quarters and front fenders. A couple of days to knock out that work.

Not to mention, prepping the body for paint will be minimum also since the there are new panels being used.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you guys who say this is a waste of money understand it is not that big of a deal to do what he is doing?

Tippy, it's probably a fiar question from most of us because we don't understand why someone would remove perfectly good sheetmetal, and the author did not really explain why the body conversion instead of starting with a 997TT.
On the other hand, if it's a "hobby" thing to make major conversions then why not!
In any case, I think that we are all intrigued and will follow his progress with interest!
Cheers
Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Yea, I'm not confused about the money spent just the effort to take a 996 to make it look like a 997... it's not going to have any of the 997 variable turbos or engine so, eh.

However, it still sounds like a fun project I'm looking forward to seeing the pics during the progress.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by pszikla
we don't understand why someone would remove perfectly good sheetmetal, and the author did not really explain why the body conversion instead of starting with a 997TT.
Maybe because the 997 TT goes for almost double what a 996 TT goes for used. Parts and labor in this project wouldnt be too bad as far as price goes.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by riad
Yea, I'm not confused about the money spent just the effort to take a 996 to make it look like a 997... it's not going to have any of the 997 variable turbos or engine so, eh.

However, it still sounds like a fun project I'm looking forward to seeing the pics during the progress.
True, but it will make more power than the stock 997TT.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Maybe because the 997 TT goes for almost double what a 996 TT goes for used. Parts and labor in this project wouldnt be too bad as far as price goes.
Nearly Double? Easily double but closer to triple. To pick up a 997TT you will have to pay dearly. MSRP alone will set you back (with a couple option) 140K. And lately these have been sold ABOVE sticker for new and at sticker for low mile used.

Nobody is knocking his project, just the cost why you would do something like this. The 996TT is a great looking ride so why spend all that cash to have a marginally different looking car on the outside.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Nearly Double? Easily double but closer to triple. To pick up a 997TT you will have to pay dearly. MSRP alone will set you back (with a couple option) 140K. And lately these have been sold ABOVE sticker for new and at sticker for low mile used.

Nobody is knocking his project, just the cost why you would do something like this. The 996TT is a great looking ride so why spend all that cash to have a marginally different looking car on the outside.
I don't want to put words in the guy's mouth, but I haven't seen a reply from him yet. If you've seen the guy's other cars, he customizes his cars to make them look exactly the way he wants them. His cobalt blue (maybe I'm biased ) supercharged widebody 996 looked fantastic, and I'm sure it was pretty darn quick, too. And there was probably no other car on the road like it (355s in back!).

So maybe he wants something that no one else has, that he's designed every inch of, that has an astounding level of performance, and can be done for a fraction of the cost of buying a 997TT *plus* the ludicriously expensive Techart bits plus more tuning costs.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

justin, you aren't putting words in anybody's mouth. your points are valid. everybody agrees that this is an interesting project and no doubt that it could look great when it is complete as this is what he specializes in. However, it's the cost factor of......why? Then again, us track ****** throw insane amounts of money to do that and alot of people don't get that either so I guess it's all relative.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Could have purchased a wrecked 996TT cheap that needed pannels anyhow?...not nearly as hard to justify if you do it that way.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:01 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not knocking the project either and think it is cool, and look forward to seeing the results. Doesn't mean I am being critical when I wonder why. I really am eager to see the end product. I am sure it will look great just as his last car. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i wish i had the money to buy a cheaper version , then do it up to the tt that will cost more then just buying the tt......... that's money!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:43 PM
care4era
Racer

haha, nice thread. Maybe this dude will think twice about it now ) Why make a 996 look like a 997? When I see cars like that on the net to buy I shudder and skip to the next one. I think it will be hard to sell because it is a grandad in the disco. A nice guy dressed as a thug.

I know I am nasty here but there seems to be a general consensus here, wft are you doing?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Some spend $ on looks and asthetics, others dedicate funds to going faster or lighter, or for improved handling at the track. Guess as long as you're into a P car, maybe it doesn't matter how you decide to spend, or how much, as long as you enjoy it regardless of viewed practicality.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:55 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will always be a 996 based upon the VIN.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:17 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
i wish i had the money to buy a cheaper version , then do it up to the tt that will cost more then just buying the tt......... that's money!
Except that it won't

Quick Reply: Its nice to be back in a Porsche 996TT to 997TT Pics