Fill my tires with Nitrogen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I went to the dealer and filled them up...I even paid 70 extra just because I know they need the money!!
I almost floated home.....my P went from 16mpg to 46mpg....it is amazing!
Yes, I'm guessing you stopped at your dealer's house before you went too.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:48 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda dealerships now fill all their car tires with nitrogen, and provide lifetime free maintainence/refills.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Honda dealerships now fill all their car tires with nitrogen, and provide lifetime free maintainence/refills.
I bought a Honda snowblower, maybe they'll fill my Porsche up for free.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:19 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once upon a time, in a Nitrogen land.......... Bunch of cr##.

Be afraid, be very afraid.......

This is one of the biggest scams I've seen in 30 years. Must have started in Nigeria.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts
Default Paid $ 16.00 total...$ 4 per tire...local tire dealer

Worth every penny, even if it was double what I paid......pressure stable for last 4 months, car handles better on my PS2's and the tire wear looks very even, etc., although there are other facters at play......PS - I negotiated the price down from $ 9 per tire....
Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RayGT3
Once upon a time, in a Nitrogen land.......... Bunch of cr##.

Be afraid, be very afraid.......

This is one of the biggest scams I've seen in 30 years. Must have started in Nigeria.
Meh, maybe for you. I've used it in my truck, where the pressure in the rear tires is quite critical to handling (long story). Air loses a pound of pressure for every ten degree drop in ambient temperature. Nitrogen didn't. It was nice to be able to check my tires once a month and be reasonably confident that the pressures were stable in the meantime. YMMV and all that...
Old 10-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

I think there's some validity in using Nitrogen... my concern is being fleeced by my local dealer for $70.

I'd pay $70 for them to fill my tires if it included getting fluffed by the cute receptionist - otherwise, not so much.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:22 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Yeah... the Rover was a different story. $6 a tire. At $70, I can see having a little heartburn.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please, I mean no disrespect to any one, but there is NO compelling reason to use Nitrogen when filling tires. The key to all this voo doo is "DRY". Check the gas laws, there is extreme little difference in the coff. of expansion of different gasses. You can use any gas you want as long as it is DRY. DRY air will work just as well as dry Nitrogen or any other gas you have handy. End of story.

Ever watch them mount a tire? First thing they do is put that soapy solution on the bead which is mostly WATER which ends up where, in the tire. Now we have a tire that they just put water into and now they tell you they want to charge you some silly amount for supposedly dry gas to be put into your wet tire. This whole thing is just wrong.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please, I mean no disrespect to any one, but there is NO compelling reason to use Nitrogen when filling tires. The key to all this voo doo is "DRY". Check the gas laws, there is extreme little difference in the coff. of expansion of different gasses. You can use any gas you want as long as it is DRY. DRY air will work just as well as dry Nitrogen or any other gas you have handy. End of story.

Ever watch them mount a tire? First thing they do is put that soapy solution on the bead which is mostly WATER which ends up where, in the tire. Now we have a tire that they just put water into and now they tell you they want to charge you some silly amount for supposedly dry gas to be put into your wet tire. This whole thing is just wrong.
Good point
Old 10-13-2007, 11:56 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Then I guess a magic genie kept my tire pressures consistent from fall to spring. Damn. If I'd known, I don't think this is how I would have used the wish...
Old 10-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

It's a whole lot easier to carry a small N2 bottle than an air compressor. (Particularly one with a good drier, but that blends into the first reason)
Old 10-13-2007, 04:39 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fill my tire with pure, unadulterated vacuum.

Quick Reply: Fill my tires with Nitrogen?