996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New C4S is in the Garage!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Caguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. I did the short shifter (B&M) and it is a great way to go if your factory shifter sucks (like mine did)
Old 10-07-2007, 11:57 PM
bernocco930S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CONGRATS on the C4S. I have an 04 and I really love that car.
I am reading these posts and feeling really sorry for you guys (no kidding - really) thinking about the prospect of not driving a car because of weather. I am sitting here in So Cal at 90+ today and a drought - oh well. I also have a problem with driving my cars. I spend 99% of my time in the BMW and the wifes car sits in the garage with the car cover next to the 996 with a car cover. This year my rock crawler has not been out once. After listening to your plight with moth-balling your beautiful cars............ I will go drive mine tomorrow. But not to the office!
eric

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
No way!

I'm driving my car like crazy before I have to put it away for the year - as long as the temperatures are good and we're snow free, then I'm driving.

Last year the car went away at the end of November and I was kicking myself when the weather was good until January.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Yeah, but his shrink still gets to splurge on more Carbon Fiber for his TT
I'm smelling a 'win-win' here...
Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats
Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Congratulations on a beauty - from one Carolina C4S to another!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shustermeister
Congratulations on a beauty - from one Carolina C4S to another!
Avatar looks like you purchased from Isringhausen. Am I correct? How was your experience with them??
Old 10-09-2007, 12:45 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey - congrats there Keith! I hope you enjoy it. So, do you still have the 993 as well?

Depending on how what you want to have done in the future and how far you are willing to travel, I know of a good independent in Hillsborough. But he's one of those "don't be in a damn hurry to get it back!" mechanics.

The only mod I've done to my car is the bumper plugs. If your car has been a garage queen and/or sat a lot, then that could explain the transmission. My car felt pretty stiff, but I've been driving it a lot more recently (it was my DD this summer and recently as the BMW was down for repairs) and it's all nice and smooth now.

And I need new rear tires as well. Welcome to the club.

Michael
Old 10-09-2007, 12:46 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I know of a good independent in Hillsborough.
Actually, I just realized that he's an "old school" guy who works on a lot of VWs. Air cooled technology. He may not want to mess with a 996. But if you are interested, PM me and I'll get his name & number (I've long since forgot it).

Michael
Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
charlesml3
Instructor

I don't think you want to pull that vacume line from the PSE. Now you've introduced a vacume leak into your intake. That means unmetered air is getting into the engine since it's coming in downstream of the MAF sensor.

Better to leave the vacume system alone and disconnect the white/pink wire under the dash that connects the PSE to the speed sensor.

-Charles
Old 10-09-2007, 01:32 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

And the pictures are......where???

J
Old 10-09-2007, 02:19 PM
demosan
Advanced

Keith,

Nice choice and best of luck with the "new" P-car ( I admit I am a bit biased)!!

demosan
Old 10-09-2007, 03:00 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine too. 2007 C4S with Aero and Natural Leather
Old 10-09-2007, 03:37 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Originally Posted by smithk993
I have a couple of thoughts so far. Tire noise was terrible on drive back as the wear down to wear bars in rear. So tires are first mod. Also the car seems a bit difficult to shift smoothly without a bit of clunking between changes, not sure if this is common with the AWD system. Thoughts?

Car has PSE which I really like, except that it kept getting quiet just as it was starting to sound great. I fixed that by pulling the vacuum line and now it sounds great all the time. Any thoughts for those who have done a similar mod on whether I should periodically reattach to exercise the valve to keep it from locking up in the future?
Welcome, to address some of your concerns.

Tires will be noisier with wear, they all seem to be this way.

The transmissions are anything but smooth in these cars. Coming from an S2000 myself, I know how good Honda's gear boxes are. We were spoiled... The SSK will help the throw in the Porsche, but not help the clunkiness. It is not related to the AWD system.

The PSE is great. I have it too. It sounds like you have the electronics installed for it too since you have the vacuum lines in place. The way the system is designed it automatically turns the PSE off at something like 30mph and then on again above 50. This has to do with a German noise abatement law for neighbors. You can defeat this "on/off" of the system and maintain your ability to turn it on and off on your own via the dash switch. There is a single resistor lead that you cut on the relay that is in the fuse box. The directions are somewhere on the internet, do some searching. I have seen them but don't remember when. Try looking in DIY here and at www.renntech.org.

Welcome to the family!
Old 10-09-2007, 04:31 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome...now where are the pictures
Old 10-09-2007, 04:47 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Caguy
Congrats. I did the short shifter (B&M) and it is a great way to go if your factory shifter sucks (like mine did)

Hey Caguy did you lower your ride? If so how much, cost and parts?

Quick Reply: New C4S is in the Garage!