996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Not a real Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn a 996 is NOT a real Porsche??? WTF.....what am I to do?? Sell?? What am I going to buy?? I love my 996...but if it is not real..I got to get ride of it...but it depriciated too much....mmmmhhhhh I guess I am stuck until I become a gazilionair (or just millionair) and can buy a Carrera GT (or is this not a real Porsche either??) I am confused.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:50 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
I heard that they were made in China, and are covered in lead based paint...

... and the interiors are made with melamine to fake higher protein content!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:59 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Saying to Joe: go to the 993 board you are not welcomed here, it's just a plain stupid thing to say in my book. If we don't agree with him, I think we have enough 996 arguments to show him that he is not right.
he has is opinion, valid or not but I always like to ear what he says because he is a true Porsche fan.
We are here to discuss the models and it's always a good thing disputes like this one.
Joe: the 996 4S is one of the most beautiful 911 out there, and don't forget that it was the 996 generation that gave birth to the first GT3 model (yeah, I know the 964 DNA of the engine ) in my opinion one of the best racing cars ever made.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Why is the 993 holding there value while the 996 is depreciating as much as any other 911 based car.
Why did Porsche go away from it's roots, change the power plant?..... Proffit..... Well it worked. they are the most profitable car company in the world. They did not get there building GT3's and Turbo's. The profit is in there production based models.

Dam, I knew that I shouldn't have sold my 993. If I only I knew at that time that it would be the last Porsche model ever made, and all of the following models would be phonies.

Long live all production based Porsche cars,

In 2000 I made a business trip to South Korea, and I'm now going to share a secret that is known by only a handul of people outside of Porsche. The reason that Porsche is so profitable is that they no longer manufacture cars. Hyundai has been building Porsches since the late 90s, and the cars have been shipped to Germany where the logos are attached. In defense of Porsche, the Koreans did build them by hand since they didn't have an assembly line at that time. So I have to agree with RS 197, that the 996 is not a real Porsche, but I disagree about the production line assertion.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:27 AM
ReidN
Pro

Something is really wrong if someone is going to say the entire 911 line is the "Flagship" model. I do beleive that the "Flagship" model is or was the Carerra GT. Following that I would say GT2 not GT3 is the "Flagship" get a grip with this 993 crap....
Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe,
Well at least we share a passion for 964s and especailly the RS. At the end of the day the difference between the 964 and the 964RS and the difference between the 993 and the 993RSCS are every bit as great as the difference between the 996 or 997 and the GT3s. For a long time Porsche has made a street focused car that was good on the track and a track focused car that was still good on the street but out of the reach of many buyers. As you pointed out, Porsche would go broke selling GT3s. It's was the 996 and the Boxster that saved the company and allowed it to get back into racing which we all appreciate.

Where we differ is in the trackability of the 996. I guess we'll just disagree. I've got thousands of track hours in a 996 and I suspect you have none so you're not going to convince me. I'm pretty sure you're not going to change your mind and frankly I really don't care to so let's just call a truce.
Jim
Old 09-21-2007, 10:19 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sensing a head to head race. I can think of two drovers.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ReidN
Something is really wrong if someone is going to say the entire 911 line is the "Flagship" model. I do beleive that the "Flagship" model is or was the Carerra GT. Following that I would say GT2 not GT3 is the "Flagship" get a grip with this 993 crap....
Actually Reid I would disagree. Porsche "flagship" model, the one car that most people associate with the brand and recognize as a Porsche is the 911.

Flagship does not indicate more exotic, expensive or better performance.

BTW, I thought you're in town? Give me a buzz.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
I can apprecitate you guy's enjoy your 996 cars....Don't get to crazy on me. You did not build the cars.

Here are a few questions I could not get past when I considered a 996.

Why is the 993 holding there value while the 996 is depreciating as much as any other 911 based car.
Why did Porsche go away from it's roots, change the power plant?..... Proffit..... Well it worked. they are the most profitable car company in the world. They did not get there building GT3's and Turbo's. The profit is in there production based models.
No more hand built cars...Assembly line issues, quality issues. Interior O.K. at best, Styling not up to par.
The power plant is a throw away, way cheeper to just replace than rebuild... The gear box is getting better, but not close to the G50 in durabiltiy.
Porsche would not have a cup car if it was based on the stock 996 engine. They were not designed to withstand a race track. That is a huge compromize in my book.

Let us all look back on what made Porsche what it is today.... Not the buisiness model of the 996.... If the fist 911 would have been the quality and Reliabiltiy of a 996, Porsche would have no race roots specializing in mini vans and econo cars.

I do appreciate all that have purchased a 996,997,Cayman, SUV......Production cars....They are great cars. Without all of your $$$ Porsche could not afford to offer the GT3 or Turbo to the few that appreciate it.

Again, try not to take it too personal. For me I will repeat, a 996 is not a real porsche. It is a compromize for the all mighty dollar.....
^^^ I'm voting your post the most ignorant post on Rennlist.

Tell your story to all the engineers, designers, test drivers and countless other Porsche employees that all their hard work to constantly improve the 911 was for naught. Tell them that the 997 - the best 911 to date - is also a waste of their time.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
^^^ I'm voting your post the most ignorant post on Rennlist.

Tell your story to all the engineers, designers, test drivers and countless other Porsche employees that all their hard work to constantly improve the 911 was for naught. Tell them that the 997 - the best 911 to date - is also a waste of their time.
+1
Old 09-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Joe,
Well at least we share a passion for 964s and especailly the RS. At the end of the day the difference between the 964 and the 964RS and the difference between the 993 and the 993RSCS are every bit as great as the difference between the 996 or 997 and the GT3s. For a long time Porsche has made a street focused car that was good on the track and a track focused car that was still good on the street but out of the reach of many buyers. As you pointed out, Porsche would go broke selling GT3s. It's was the 996 and the Boxster that saved the company and allowed it to get back into racing which we all appreciate.

Where we differ is in the trackability of the 996. I guess we'll just disagree. I've got thousands of track hours in a 996 and I suspect you have none so you're not going to convince me. I'm pretty sure you're not going to change your mind and frankly I really don't care to so let's just call a truce.
Jim
Great post Jim. My feelings exactly.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:44 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 I see your point.....

I agree, i dont think a 997GT3 is a real Porsche either, until I get a better job and can afford one!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:00 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JBRipps
I know the 996 outperforms the 993 in almost every single aspect. Do the doors of the newer car "snap shut" like the older ones? No....but that doesn't make a 996 not real....J
Sums it up pretty nicely I think!!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

There's a lot more water-cooled cars available in the market than air-cooled cars simply because Porsche made more of the former and the economic conditions of the time when the air-cooled technology was top dog simply didn't support the sales numbers of today. There's more wealth now in the 996/997 world than the 993 world. Supply is lower on the 993s, thus demand is higher. Let's say there were just as many 993s as 996s in the world... or oh boy, let's see how the 993 pricing adjusts if supply #s were reversed between the 997 and 993 for example. OH Boy is right.

Proffit..... Well it worked. they are the most profitable car company in the world. They did not get there building GT3's and Turbo's. The profit is in there production based models.
Agreed. Porsche is alive today thanks in large part to the Boxster and the Cayenne. They must grow or die. They must produce products that are attractive to more people in order to support a niche product like the 911 (a small ****, impractical sports car). The 911 must continue to compete against stiffer competition and keep that halo clean and bright. It's going to be tough but if anyone's going to do it, it's Porsche.

No more hand built cars...Assembly line issues, quality issues. Interior O.K. at best, Styling not up to par.
Get with the times, bud. Styling is subjective. I love the 964 shape and the 993 shape, but do they look dated next to my 996? Most definitely. Is dated a bad thing? Not necessarily. The 911 is timeless, but it is not impervious to getting hit by the dated stick.

They were not designed to withstand a race track. That is a huge compromize in my book.
Do we see you on Speed Channel?

Again, try not to take it too personal. For me I will repeat, a 996 is not a real porsche. It is a compromize for the all mighty dollar.....
Money makes the world go 'round, bud. Not a real Porsche? C'mon man. Travolta's hair is not real Porsche. Kafka-esque. Camus. The absurd.

I don't take your comments personally... and I don't think others here should either because we're talking about their CARS... not their wife, gf, grandpa, son, dog. Get a grip fellas.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 09-21-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:44 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
I heard that they were made in China, and are covered in lead based paint...
OMG Mattel just issued a recall on all 996s.

We have to take them back to the nearest Toys 'R Us for a full refund.

At least that will solve the depreciation isue. Phew.

Quick Reply: 996 Not a real Porsche?