Custom Supercharger and FVD tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:31 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
1999, Tippy,

If at idle the engine is not processing any more air flow then stock, so why would any changes be needed to the MAF. Would it not just run rich and still get the MAF error #115 "code out of limits".

Because the MAF determines engine load, airflow and air temp. Since you are sucking much more air past the MAF that the stock parameters allow, you MUST reduce the voltage produced by the increased airflow or you will get a code Hook up a 560 ohm resister inline and see if that drops the flow down to 4.5 g/s at idle..
Old 09-21-2007, 01:50 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

no mods are needed to the maf, new program should: change ignition timing, fuel delivery, prevent detonation and fuel starvation above 3000k...Agreed, The new map is supposed to get A/F within operating range... be careful when running without the new programm.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:55 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by redridge
no mods are needed to the maf, new program should: change ignition timing, fuel delivery, prevent detonation and fuel starvation above 3000k...Agreed, The new map is supposed to get A/F within operating range... be careful when running without the new programm.

WRONG! Unless your goal is to quickly burn up the MAF.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
WRONG! Unless your goal is to quickly burn up the MAF.
Mother setup is not any different than Evo and they dont touch the MAF, just injectors and programming
Old 09-21-2007, 02:04 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by redridge
Mother setup is not any different than Evo and they dont touch the MAF, just injectors and programming
Yes they do. You must reduce the amount of airflow that the MAF reads by either using a resister or modifying the flow of air through the tube.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would the MAF burnout, or what causes it to burnout? I do not follow, not saying you are wrong, just never heard of this. Curious what raises the voltage, the computer? And why would it raise the voltage, it knows no different that a S/C is on it or not, it simply has air flow through it.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tippy
Why would the MAF burnout, or what causes it to burnout? I do not follow, not saying you are wrong, just never heard of this. Curious what raises the voltage, the computer? And why would it raise the voltage, it knows no different that a S/C is on it or not, it simply has air flow through it.

What would happen if you increased the amperage on 14 gauge wire in your home from 15 to 20?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Tippy
Race Car

What would happen if you increased the amperage on 14 gauge wire in your home from 15 to 20?

Meltdown.

I understand why it will burn up, trying to understand what causes the voltage to increase. Only thing he has changed is the injectors so far. Is the computer raising the voltage of the MAF to compensate for the bigger injectors?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut and paste from a site.

The MAF sends Voltage (0-5v) directly to the ECU. Using various other sensors (like TPS, and Tach) the ECU adjusts the injector pulses, timing advance/retard depending on the state of the engine. MAF voltage alone directly affects the Air/Fuel Ratio the ECU produces. when a Piggyback Fuel Computer is used (S-AFC2, V-AFC2, Neo, Emanage, UTEC, etc) it intercepts Voltage from the MAF, and modifies that Voltage going back into the ECU (according to your own Fuel correction settings). That's is why a MAF is THAT important. When a MAF fails the voltage output can become erratic. when a MAF is dead the engine cannot Rev past 2500 rpms.

I am assuming the resistor 1999 is referring to lowers the voltage for idle and allows more room (V) for extra airflow under boost with proper mapping.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Meltdown.

I understand why it will burn up, trying to understand what causes the voltage to increase. Only thing he has changed is the injectors so far. Is the computer raising the voltage of the MAF to compensate for the bigger injectors?

The MAF must receive current to keep the wire a specific temperature. Because of the increased airflow, this current is maintained at it's maximum for greater periods of time and causes meltdown. Just like if you maintained a draw of 15 amps on a 15 amp circuit. It is only a matter of a short time before the circuit breaker pops.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Tippy
Race Car

I read many moons ago that the wire voltage was maintained at a given number, it did not fluctuate. It was the delta of cooling of the wire that determined airflow, never read it raised the temp to compensate. My interpretation was, the cooler the wire was from a given point, the more air had passed over the heated wire.

My point is, if you raise the voltage to raise the temp of wire, how does it know the airflow difference?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:08 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Yes they do. You must reduce the amount of airflow that the MAF reads by either using a resister or modifying the flow of air through the tube.
What did evo do to there kit, did they add a resistor or change the flow path, changed to another range of MAF?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:14 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

I read many moons ago that the wire voltage was maintained at a given number, it did not fluctuate. It was the delta of cooling of the wire that determined airflow, never read it raised the temp to compensate. My interpretation was, the cooler the wire was from a given point, the more air had passed over the heated wire.

My point is, if you raise the voltage to raise the temp of wire, how does it know the airflow difference?
The maf works like this. There is a thermistor as a sensor, it is used to be heated, at a set (constant) temp. As air flows by it, it will cool... the computer tries to heat it up more since it wants it at constant temp. The voltage that is required to heat up the thermistor is proportional to the amout of air that tries to cool it. The varying heating up and cooling down is the signal of the airflow.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this is a project lets test it. Which wire to hook up the 560 ohm resistor inline with? There are (4) 2 red and cannot remember the other two to the MAF. How can I measure the 4.5 g/s whatever that means at idle with the durametric? I should know immediatley on start up if there is any improvment.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:22 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

The thermister maintains a constant temperature relative to the IAT. If the IAT is higher, the current of the thermister is increased.

Quick Reply: Custom Supercharger and FVD tuning