Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do you guys and gals think of these GT3 wheels for my C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
While the OEM GT3 wheels are a tad bit heavier than other options out there, they are EXTREMEMLY strong and durable and they are the wheels I use for the track. Until I feel like dropping 3-4K for a set of aftermarket track focused wheels I'm going to use the OEM set. FYI...I have 2 sets, one for the street and one for the track.

What people fail to understand is that if a wheel is lighter something has to be sacrificed.......strength! It is a fine balance between the variables (weight v. strength). The GT3 wheel is a great combo of both. The other wheels the track guys like for weight and strength are (Forgeline, BBS Motorsports, Fikse, CCW, and Volk). While Champion are nice, they are definitely street bling moreso than track oriented. Just take a look around the paddock at any track day and check out the "experienced" cars/drivers to see what they are running. We have definitely as a group collectively tried it all and can give REAL WORLD results unlike speculation and anecdotal evidence that most here try to offer up.
Dell, are the GT3 wheels cast or forged? (I believe they are cast)

Keep in mind that material, construction method and design are all very important determining factors for strength and weight. The lighter wheel is not necessarily the weaker wheel (it can be stronger in some cases). Strength is not always sacrificed (although for a light AND strong wheel, the sacrifice may be the dent in your wallet).

Finally, are you quite sure about you claims ("street bling") regarding Champions? I have talked to more than one "wheel guy" who have told me they are very strong and make great track wheels. Just wondering who your source is for the "Bling" comment on Champions.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The GT3 wheel is cast. Of course, light and strong will set you back some serious $$$.

Now obviously the forged process will allow you to produce a "stronger" wheel, but it all depends on what you want and what you want to spend. Generally, you see the forged wheels in 2 and 3 piece while the cast is a single unit.

It takes less material to forge a wheel than cast a wheel which is where the weight comes into play.

Would I rather have a forged wheel? You bet. But I am not ready to plunk down 3-4K when I have a very good wheel in the OEM cast wheel.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

After just finding a bent rear sport classic wheel on my car NO MORE CAST WHEELS! For the money these cars cost it is ridiculous that Porsche puts cheap wheels on them. This is why they are the most profitable car company
Old 09-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
After just finding a bent rear sport classic wheel on my car NO MORE CAST WHEELS! For the money these cars cost it is ridiculous that Porsche puts cheap wheels on them. This is why they are the most profitable car company
Steven, all wheels can and will bend given the right amount of force placed in the right location. You always gotta use discretion.

For example, you see all these 22" "forged" wheel ads out there, but I'd be damned if those suckers don't bend given their size and popular deep dish lip. They certainly look pretty and are a must on big-bodied sedans, but you need to be careful with them as with ANY wheel driving in the municipality.

You can find examples of "quality" Fikse, BBS, OZ, etc etc wheels bent out of shape. And they're forged to boot!

I'm actually going to be selling my forged OZ3s for cast Work Brombachers. Both wheels are durable, beautiful street wheels. If I was a track nerd, I'd probably go with 18" Fikses or CCWs or Champion wheels to keep the weight down, but with all that focus on lightweight, you give up looks.

Balance, baby, like water.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:55 PM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like them!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The GT3 wheel is cast. Of course, light and strong will set you back some serious $$$.

Now obviously the forged process will allow you to produce a "stronger" wheel, but it all depends on what you want and what you want to spend. Generally, you see the forged wheels in 2 and 3 piece while the cast is a single unit.

It takes less material to forge a wheel than cast a wheel which is where the weight comes into play.

Would I rather have a forged wheel? You bet. But I am not ready to plunk down 3-4K when I have a very good wheel in the OEM cast wheel.
That's what I thought. No offense, but I'd take my 18" forged Champion RG5's (the wheels you call bling) over cast GT3 wheels any day of the week. Not only are they significantly lighter, I'd bet they are stronger.

I suspect the reason you don't see as many Champions (as some other brands) at the track has far more to do with cost than strength.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray S
That's what I thought. No offense, but I'd take my 18" forged Champion RG5's (the wheels you call bling) over cast GT3 wheels any day of the week. Not only are they significantly lighter, I'd bet they are stronger.

I suspect the reason you don't see as many Champions (as some other brands) at the track has far more to do with cost than strength.
True dat.

Not sure how you guys are going to measure strength, though. Kinda tough to do unless you want to run over a bunch of potholes and see which one cracks first. Splittin hairs.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Yes and No. They are NOT more $ than the other wheels I mentioned (all pretty comparable depending). While I am sure they are stronger than the OEM wheel, they are MORE a bling wheel than a track wheel. Meaning? Not in the hip hop car look of bling but that rather Champion makes a nice wheel but they are TOO NICE. Guys sport these on the street as their "bling" rather than track them. The others I mentioned are a more track focused wheel(s). Sure, the others are nice to look at, they are not built with the Champion way of thinking.

Maybe it's just b/c Champion are too damn nice looking. I sure wouldn't track 'em but I wouldn't definitely cruise the town with 'em!

Not that the others aren't nice but they just have that "focused" look (track). Well, expect for those forgelines. Dear Lord, now that is some serious bling!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm using the RG5's as track wheels on my GT3 and have had no problems with them. I also believe that they're lighter and stronger than OEM.

Re the cost, I picked mine up used and while they looked really good (previous owner had powdercoated the centers black), they weren't cosmetically perfect but had no curb rash, bends, dings, etc. I was looking for a one-piece forged wheel with a design I liked and these fit the bill perfectly (also wanted black wheels).
Old 09-19-2007, 01:59 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CCWheel.com makes excellent extremely strong (stronger than any OEM cast wheel for sure) that weigh in at about 20 pounds (18") and are nowhere near as expensive as the pricey Champions,Fiske,etc....only $500 more than the $2100 I paid for my factory 20lb. Carreras.

I'm considering demoting my OEM five spokers for winter beating and using the CCWheel Corsair(bottom pic) for summer use with my Goodyear F1's.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

how r u guys determining how one wheel is "stronger" than the other?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forged wheels in industrial capacities is the standard, with tensile strenghts capable of withstanding 20K pounds in some applications. The alternative, hollow cast alloys are made to dent, so you end up buying more. kinda Like all those new and improved network viruses designed and deployed by the makers of security software. The cast alloy market is similarly a self perpetuating industry and they charge you allot to boot.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Quick update.......

Regarding the GT3 wheel being cast. It is actually FORGED! I just got done reading an article talking about the specs of the car from when it was released to the public (the MkII GT3) and the wheels are actually identified as being forged.

I just assumed they were cast and I (and others) should have known better to find a source before assuming the manufacturing of the wheel.

Long story short? They are FORGED ALLOY WHEELS.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Quick update.......

Regarding the GT3 wheel being cast. It is actually FORGED! I just got done reading an article talking about the specs of the car from when it was released to the public (the MkII GT3) and the wheels are actually identified as being forged.

I just assumed they were cast and I (and others) should have known better to find a source before assuming the manufacturing of the wheel.

Long story short? They are FORGED ALLOY WHEELS.
how much do they weigh?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Not sure. I will know for sure next week when I dismount my tires. I'll post back then.

Quick Reply: What do you guys and gals think of these GT3 wheels for my C4S?