Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do you guys and gals think of these GT3 wheels for my C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:55 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What do you guys and gals think of these GT3 wheels for my C4S?

Hi all,

I'm eyeing these GT3 wheels for my '02 C4S. They are at wheel dynamics. I know a lot of you have dealt with Carlos there....he seems like a great guy.

Anyhow, he has advised me that these wheels are stronger the OEM and weigh just a bit more. I'm not too concerned about weight, but do want to possibly track the car in the future. Carlos advises these fine for the track and many other drivers use them.

The price is pretty good, and the offsets are PERFECT for the widebodies.

What do you think? Ben...interested in your input. I know they don't have a lip, but they really do have a great look...no? Opinions appreciated.

J

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW
Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're Narrow Body fitment. They have the Widebody fitment also...and I think they'll look good.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JBizzle,

My automotive aesthetic preferences stray away from spending money on yet another set of OEM wheels because OEM wheels are constrained by cost and conservative design since the manufacturer needs to consider a very broad audience which includes your grandmother and uncle Bob.

With that said,

-I'm not a fan at all of the GT3 wheels above. I think they're pretty weak looking and a little too flowery. Looks like a daisy. The only OEM wheel I like is the one that comes with the C4S (turbine style because it is so Porsche). I have a set in the garage just to keep a spare set around. The car actually looks pretty decent/aggressive with these wheels, but with all OEM wheels, they're designed to look best at stock height.

-The reason why I lower and am such a stickler for fitment is because it looks damn good and the ride improves since I'm always lowering on a quality set of aftermarket coilovers (e.g. PSS9s). You want to go wide as possible (constraints being the car shell itself, tire availability) as low as you can cope with (I'm about as low as I'd go on my ride with the aerokit), and offsets that push the wheels out as far as possible to give it that flush look but w/o having to resort to fender rolling. meeting all the conditions aforementioned nets you an incredibly good looking 911/automobile that's set apart from the crowd and it's in these types of details that 99% of dudes don't take time to research and they just go with what their local shop guy/general forum poster recommends which fools 99% of the people out there, but for me I shoot for the top 1%. It's like a guy who's happy with a E.Zegna suit off the rack v. the dude who goes to a custom tailor, understands that Zegna is a fabric company first, and really gets a true Zegna suit that's made to measure. Heck, I'm shooting for Savile Row! but I get a lot of flack for it because I am so discerning when it comes to materialistic **** like wheels and cars in general. Most people don't care as much as i do which is fine. i'll keep giving them a hard time.

Since you want track play, you probably want lightweight and durable which I'd go for the Champion wheels (1 piece forged in japan), but I don't think they make 12" widths as I checked on this before when i was searching for wheels. When you see a widebody 911 rollin 11s v. 12s in the back... I can most definitely tell the difference. It just looks so damn good going wide baby.

Good luck, bud!

walking the talk sample pics of my past and current rides:

Old 09-17-2007, 10:32 PM
SpeedPhreak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels...

I would have to agree with Benjamin. Go with Champions instead.

Been looking myself, but will be a while longer before I drop $6k for new wheels. So far, my top three choices have been...

* Champion RG5 Monolites
* Ruf Modulars
* OZ Ultraleggeras

The only car I would put the GT3 wheels on would be a GT3 from an observance of stock spec perspective only. Let us know what you end up getting.

02 C2 996
Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 PM
flash80
Instructor

GT3 wheels belong on NB cars IMO. If you're going to replace your wheels, you might as well your ideal set. I have Champions, and they're great.

Check out these (you too Speadphreak)...great price!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=97976

here's mine:

Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedPhreak
I would have to agree with Benjamin. Go with Champions instead.

Been looking myself, but will be a while longer before I drop $6k for new wheels. So far, my top three choices have been...

* Champion RG5 Monolites
* Ruf Modulars
* OZ Ultraleggeras

The only car I would put the GT3 wheels on would be a GT3 from an observance of stock spec perspective only. Let us know what you end up getting.

02 C2 996
I like O.Z.'s and you just don't see too many of them around.

I too agree that GT3 wheels should be on GT3's. But with that said people do what they want, for example I have seen 997 wheels on 996's so is that wrong. Personal preference I guess and there is a fine line when you are trying to be unique and when you are trying to be a copy cat (aka wannabe something it isn't), no offense to anyone OK
Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...those Champions are sweeeet. I don't want to spend that kind of money though. I just don't think it's practical (and yes...I DO think my car is practical to begin with!!). I do want to change the look of the stock setup, just not for 4 or 6K for wheels alone.

I like these too...but don't seem to come in 18's. 19's just look to big IMO.

Anyone have pics of the OZ's?

http://www.wheeldynamics.net/AA%2003-04-06%20698.jpg
Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Wow...those Champions are sweeeet. I don't want to spend that kind of money though. I just don't think it's practical (and yes...I DO think my car is practical to begin with!!). I do want to change the look of the stock setup, just not for 4 or 6K for wheels alone.

I like these too...but don't seem to come in 18's. 19's just look to big IMO.

Anyone have pics of the OZ's?

http://www.wheeldynamics.net/AA%2003-04-06%20698.jpg
Ben has O.Z.'s and I believe he is selling them...Ben?

I have O.Z.'s. Click on the blue lettering for the Porsche in my signature block to open a new page with more pics.

You will find that 19's are more common nowadays for our cars, and I do not think 19's are too big IMHO, 20's definately are
Old 09-17-2007, 11:48 PM
SpeedPhreak
Intermediate

Default No offense taken whatsoever...

I've seen the 997 Carrera S wheels on 996s and they look pretty decent. It's all a matter of taste and style any way. Nice pic!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Jon - I think the GT3 wheels would look good on your car. I really like 'em! Make sure you get wide bodu offsets so you don't have to use spacers.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:59 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

I think 19s look best, i dont personally prefer gt3s either unless on a gt3. Some times finding the perfect set takes some time!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get yoru eyes checked..18s look like jetta wheels on teh 911
Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

FYI...the "GT3" wheels are NOT exclusively on the GT3. They are also on the last GT2.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
FYI...the "GT3" wheels are NOT exclusively on the GT3. They are also on the last GT2.
I believe the GT3 wheels are not the lightest OEM wheels but Porsche tries to optimize the weight of the GT3 and GT2 so there must be another reason for the design. Are these wheels much stronger than other OEM wheels (like the 5 spokes) so better for extreme track use? Dell you might know as you've both cars/wheels.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

While the OEM GT3 wheels are a tad bit heavier than other options out there, they are EXTREMEMLY strong and durable and they are the wheels I use for the track. Until I feel like dropping 3-4K for a set of aftermarket track focused wheels I'm going to use the OEM set. FYI...I have 2 sets, one for the street and one for the track.

What people fail to understand is that if a wheel is lighter something has to be sacrificed.......strength! It is a fine balance between the variables (weight v. strength). The GT3 wheel is a great combo of both. The other wheels the track guys like for weight and strength are (Forgeline, BBS Motorsports, Fikse, CCW, and Volk). While Champion are nice, they are definitely street bling moreso than track oriented. Just take a look around the paddock at any track day and check out the "experienced" cars/drivers to see what they are running. We have definitely as a group collectively tried it all and can give REAL WORLD results unlike speculation and anecdotal evidence that most here try to offer up.

Quick Reply: What do you guys and gals think of these GT3 wheels for my C4S?