Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is Porsche going to begin rebuilding 996 engines?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:17 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Porsche going to begin rebuilding 996 engines?

Read this on the PCA tech site:

I am thinking of using a 99-02 in DE’s. . I took my 99 996 to a DE and was very alarmed to find my pressure dropping to 2 bar at 4-5K RPM in some of the turns (yes I looked down in mid turn). I brought the car in and have not taken it out again. Were there any mods to the 99-01 factory replacement engines to help the oil pickup and overall reliability? Do the 200-2001 models have any internal engine mods and are they more robust than the 99’s?

1. I am aware of the Porsche Motorsports oil modification. Does it completely fix the problem? Any direct experience with a modified car?

2. I saw the Brey Krause extended sump kit. I called the vendor selling it but he could not provide me any direct customer results. Have you had any direct experience with this mod? I am skeptical since the extension and baffle mod seems minimal.

3. Was there any mods to the 3.6 engine in the 02 models? I heard there were some baffles added? I know there were numerous structural improvements which I like. I have not seen the rash of engine replacements on the 02’s either. Would you pay extra $ for a 02. I like the lower cost of the 99’s as I am risking it on track.

I received 9 copies of this question, not all identical. I am answering the last one (most recent), and deleting the earlier ones. If you have other questions, come on back.

Please see the previous Q&A on this question. The short answer is, try what Scott Slauson said to do.

Re your numbered questions;

1) I have had numerous inquiries over the years, but I personally know of no one who has actually pursued it. I think I only heard of one that actually did the mod, and it was on a Boxster club racer.

2) See previous Q&A. Search my section in the Engine classification for the keyword Baffle.

3) That may be, but you want to remove them, not add them. Basically the equation is the same, and I have heard of 02 & later engines being replaced. However word just went out to the dealers, it is time to start rebuilding these engines, no more replacements unless absolutely necessary.

3a) Would I pay extra for an 02, no not if I had a 99. If you didn't have either one, I'd get either one depending on how good of a deal each one was. Meanwhile with your car, I would do Scott's change, test it at an event, and check back in, let us know what you find.

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 3/4/2007

Does this mean that PNA is going to stop selling cheap (relative) engines? If so, what will a rebuild cost?
Old 09-16-2007, 10:33 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 99 engine concerns

see my thread. blew my 99 motor at road america. tons of varying opinions on the subject but most shops agree that the 3.4 motor belongs off the track.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.motormeister.com/suz/911_..._engines_5.htm

They have a not so good rep for the air-cooled crowd but it is an idea what it could cost. Scroll to the bottom.

I have seen another company or two in the past that will rebuild the 996 but I don't remember who.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by waydeki
see my thread. blew my 99 motor at road america. tons of varying opinions on the subject but most shops agree that the 3.4 motor belongs off the track.
I'm just going to roll my eyes at you.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick

Me too..................
Old 09-17-2007, 11:54 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patrick
Originally Posted by SMR996
Me too..................
Hey guys, please chime in about your experiences with the 996 platform. So far, all we have here is internet finger pointing.

If you are experiencing good results, let me know. It looks like you have some nice track mods to your car, SMR996. How long have you had them? What has overall performance and reliability been like? Feel free to send me an e-mail or PM if you'd prefer.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

I have been tracking my car practically since the day I got it. I bought it new in '01. I do 16-24 days a year at the track. I have had no issues other than normal wear. There are many 3.4l 996's that are heavily tracked without any issues.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:13 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Hey guys, please chime in about your experiences with the 996 platform. So far, all we have here is internet finger pointing.

If you are experiencing good results, let me know. It looks like you have some nice track mods to your car, SMR996. How long have you had them? What has overall performance and reliability been like? Feel free to send me an e-mail or PM if you'd prefer.
why not do a search on "996" and "oil pressure drop" and see what you get. this same question appears in the 996 forum at least once a week.

edit: reread original post and realized you're asking a different question. my apologies. at the moment, crate 3.4L engines are relatively inexpensive so until it becomes cheaper to rebuild them i think people will continue to buy off the shelf replacements. i wonder what grand am teams do when one of their motors fail.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

I too, like Patrick, have been tracking this car since I bought it used in 05. I spend 10-12 days a year at the track and have had the following issues:

1. The oil separator bellows hose gave out at WSIR in Feb '06. This is a maintenace item that was missed during routine inspection by my Indy..... or I should say my Indy at the time. $10 part... failure not related to the track...... It did, however, create quite a smoke show for those at the track, got me black flagged, and ended my weekend early.

2. The gearbox gave its life at Buttonwillow in March '07. Near as we could tell the 2nd gear synchro and 6th gear shift fork broke causing a cascade of other internal and fatal carnage. Once again, ended my weekend early and sent me shopping for an enclosed trailer, which I now own.

Other repairs are wear and tear items only..... brakes, fluids, tires, etc.

I have noticed on cool down laps that my oil pressure drops to 2 bar at turn #2 at WSIR (long right hander) but feel based on comments made by curent Indy as well as others that as long as it doesn't drop any lower I should be fine. I'm good with that...

I realize that anytime I'm on the track I exposed my car to potential mechanical and cosmetic damage. When I'm there I try to focus on driving the car and the cars around me rather than on what might happen to the car. If something breaks, I'll fix it, including replacing the engine. I would not take my car to the track if I wasn't prepared to do just that.......

Flame suit still on and zipped..........
Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR996
1. The oil separator bellows hose gave out at WSIR in Feb '06. This is a maintenace item that was missed during routine inspection by my Indy..... or I should say my Indy at the time. $10 part... failure not related to the track...... It did, however, create quite a smoke show for those at the track, got me black flagged, and ended my weekend early.

I hope you didnt "fire" your indy over that, that bellow is made of paper masche, it is a design flaw. It is hard to get a good look all the way around it to inspect and I think could be easily overlooked.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:34 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

SMR996 and Patrick, this is the best real world track review. I believe that we need more people with lots of DE and race time on their cars to give their impressions, obervations and experiences.

There is a lot of interest in these cars as club racers right now.

With PNA crate engines being relatiely affordable right now, have any of your Indy's or fellow 996r's heard anything about Porsche stoping the subsidization of these engines? This would obviously effect the overall price for total engine repairs.

Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:56 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tippy
I hope you didnt "fire" your indy over that, that bellow is made of paper masche, it is a design flaw. It is hard to get a good look all the way around it to inspect and I think could be easily overlooked.

It wasn't over the part's failure or missing it on the inspection that had me moving on.... It was the 4 attempts to get the new hose to not leak that sent me down the road.....

I posted it in a thread awhile ago..... you can find it if you search under "Oil leak (not RMS)". I won't post the link and embarass the shop more, once was enough.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:58 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Bill,

I have not heard of re-builds... only new replacements....
Old 09-17-2007, 03:33 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it me or the thread title is wrong? the title should read "Is Porsche going to *stop* rebuilding 996 engines?"
we've had some discussion how the ref. engine price went up for old cars like 993/964 over the years.

but 3rd party quickly caught on where there's $$ to be made.

i don't think porsche is losing $$ when selling ref. 996/986 engines.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:13 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pl
is it me or the thread title is wrong? the title should read "Is Porsche going to *stop* rebuilding 996 engines?"
we've had some discussion how the ref. engine price went up for old cars like 993/964 over the years.

but 3rd party quickly caught on where there's $$ to be made.

i don't think porsche is losing $$ when selling ref. 996/986 engines.
Good point. My original question was "is Porsche going to be rebuilding "your" engine vs replacing it with a re-man engine". Seems like now, PNA considers the engine as a replacable item. Looks like that may change.

Quick Reply: Is Porsche going to begin rebuilding 996 engines?