996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just Completed 30k mile service...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Freddie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Completed 30k mile service...

Just completed 30k miles service on my 3 year old 40th. I did the 30k, front brakes, (rear ok for another 15k), front windshield wiper, four new Mich PS, mount and balance tires, and alignment. Set me back $3125.25.

Car runs great and like new. Feels tighter, and the tires are quieter than the PS2s that came with it.

I almost went to Firestone for the REO50 bridgestones, but it would have only saved me about $250, and I was worried that they would scratch the rims. At least if the dealership does it, then they will replace it.

Tech even showed me the front brake pads, and the sensor was almost exposed (another 1k miles, and the light would have gone off).

Took it to the local SAT dealership, car was back in one full day (1 day earlier than promised). Tech and service writer went over the detailed report. Car is in good health. The dealership also detailed the car, down to leather conditioner. For today, it is perfect (until it rains or my kids get in my car).

Warranty issues were driver's side window regulator. I could tell it was about to go out. Also cold start issue caused them to adjust the throtle, and the DME.

Drives like new, and I now need to be good for 400 miles.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:58 PM
drmarkp
Advanced

New tyres always much quieter than worn ones - for a while anyway. That, and a rebalance, often makes the car feel smoother and "tighter". Goes some way to justifying the cost!
Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:57 PM
carlo$
Instructor

what is a 30k mile service?

what could possibly cost 3K+?

need to find a local independent shop. stay away from the dealer.

Is SAT=San Antonio TX?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo$
what is a 30k mile service?

what could possibly cost 3K+?

need to find a local independent shop. stay away from the dealer.

Is SAT=San Antonio TX?
There are minor and major service intervals every 15k miles.

Minor maintenance after: 15,000, 45,000, 75,000, 105,000 miles...

Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory
Change engine oil
Vehicle underside and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and abrasion (lines and hoses)
Underbody panels: visual inspection for completeness, installation and damage
Power steering: Check the fluid level and bellows
Coolant hoses: Check condition;
Radiators and air inlets at front: Visual inspection for external contamination and blockage;
Coolant: Check the level and antifreeze protection
Particle filter: Replace the filter element
Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion. Checking the brake fluid level
Drive shafts: Perform a visual inspection of the boots for leaks and damage
Tires and spare wheel: Check the condition and the tire pressure
Check the door locks, lid locks and safety hooks of the front lid to ensure that they are secure and functioning properly:
Check lid lock, front and rear; Check safety hook, front lid; Function test, check door lock; Check door and lid tightening torques; Check inner release of luggage compartment (Trunk Entrapment)
Vehicle lighting: Check function; All headlights: Check adjustment; Horn: Check operation.
Windscreen wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle settings, pay attention to antifreeze protection in the winter months.
Electrical equipment as well as warning and indicator lights: Check operation.
Test drive:
Remote control, front seats, foot and parking brakes (also actuation travel), engine, clutch, steering, transmission, ParkAssist, automatic speed control, heating, air-conditioning system and instruments: Check operation.
Oils, fluids: Visual inspection for leaks

Major maintenance after: 30,000, 60,000, 90,000, 120,000
Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory
Polyrib belt: Check condition
Change the engine oil and oil filter
Replace the spark plugs
Vehicle underside and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and abrasion (lines and hoses)
Underbody panels: visual inspection for completeness, installation and damage
Coolant hoses: Check condition;
Radiators and air inlets at front: Visual inspection for external contamination and blockage;
Coolant: Check the level and antifreeze protection
Air cleaner: Replace the filter element
Particle filter: Replace the filter element
Fuel system: Visual inspection for damage, routing and secure fit of line connections
Power steering: Check the fluid level and bellows
Parking brake: Checking the free play of the parking brake lever
Brake system: Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for wear
Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion. Checking the brake fluid level
Clutch: Check the play and pedal end position
Steering gear: Visually inspect the bellows for damage
Tie rod joints: Check the play and dust bellows
Axle joints: Check play, visual inspection of dust bellows for damage, check screw connections of running gear adjustment facility, front and rear, for secure fit
Drive shafts: Perform a visual inspection of the boots for leaks and damage
Exhaust system: Visual inspection for leaks and damage, check suspension
Tires and spare wheel (collapsible wheel): Check the condition and the tire pressure
Check the door locks, lid locks and safety hooks of the front lid to ensure that they are secure and functioning properly:
Check lid lock, front and rear; Check safety hook, front lid; Function test, check door lock; Check door and lid tightening torques
Seat belts: Check function and condition
Vehicle lighting: Check function; All headlights: Check adjustment; Horn: Check operation.
Windscreen wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle settings, pay attention to antifreeze protection in the winter months.
Electrical equipment as well as warning and indicator lights: Check operation.
Test drive:
Remote control, front seats, foot and parking brakes (also actuation travel), engine, clutch, steering, transmission, ParkAssist, automatic speed control, TC/PSM switch, heating, air-conditioning system and instruments: Check operation.
Oils, fluids: Visual inspection for leaks
Old 09-13-2007, 03:19 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Sorry sounds high to me. I did not need brakes or new tires but I paid around 900 Euros, at the time about $995........today over $1300.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 PM
carlo$
Instructor

Hey Riad, I really like the lists you posted. Very comprehensive, I will use them as checklists from now on.

Toyota wanted to nail me for $700.00 for the so called 30K mile service on my Camry.

I thought that was a joke.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Go to www.renntech.org they have all the service info, recalls etc.... It is a good site that is run by Loren
Old 09-13-2007, 03:51 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

The check ups are very thorough, and thus, quite expensive. Look down the list and if your comfortable moving about the car the majority can be done diy! Some should be handled by trained professionals!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

The price does not appear that bad considering that four new tires are worth about $1800.00 or more. On the tt the 30k mile service is even more expensive since a lot of work is required to remove the spark plugs.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by manny_g
The price does not appear that bad considering that four new tires are worth about $1800.00 or more. On the tt the 30k mile service is even more expensive since a lot of work is required to remove the spark plugs.
exactly. apart from the cost of the 30k service (usually around $900 at a dealer) which people may have an issue with, all the costs seem to be in line. but whether an indy or dealer, the 30k service price ain't that different.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:35 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Plus when I take my car to the dealership they give me a free ride to my offie and pick me up when the car is ready. I do not think indy's will be that accomodating. For routine maintenance I think you can't go wrong with going to the dealer. I have had a good relationship with mine and they treat me well.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:02 PM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by manny_g
Plus when I take my car to the dealership they give me a free ride to my offie and pick me up when the car is ready. I do not think indy's will be that accomodating. For routine maintenance I think you can't go wrong with going to the dealer. I have had a good relationship with mine and they treat me well.
My Indy did when I did my 60k. I did the 60k major service, plus replaced the fuel filter and replaced brake fluid. Just over $900 and I had 4 new Mich PS just under $1200. I use to use the Dealer but stopped after a few problems with their service.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
exactly. apart from the cost of the 30k service (usually around $900 at a dealer) which people may have an issue with, all the costs seem to be in line. but whether an indy or dealer, the 30k service price ain't that different.
Sorry, but the math doesn't work out for me. The tires are available from Tire Rack for less than $1200 shipped, which means the rest of the service was almost $2k.

The alignment isn't expensive and brakes are relatively cheap as well. Just yesterday I read the Car and Driver magazine's original long-term test of the 996, and they expressed concern about being charged $629 for the 30k mile service...yes, that was in '99, but things shouldn't have changed THAT much. In any case, there's no way I'll be paying my dealer over three grand when it comes to this service, with tires or not.

Heck, my engine replacement was billed out at less than $12k...that puts quite a bit into perspective for me...
Old 09-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

More than Three Thousand dollars for tires, alignment, front pads, and an oil and filter change?

Sorry my friend, but I hope that included a reach-around when you were getting it in the rear.

Here is what you got done was worth:

30K for a 2002 or later 996

Oil and filter: $65
Pollen filter: $65 (the one with charcoal in it)
Air Filter: $33
Change all of this and check to see there are no CEL lights on, then look underneath to see that there are no drips or other obvious issues: 1 hour of your time. (the list of things to look at (check) is on RennTech)

Wiper blades: $20 (pair)

2 rear tires: $635
2 Front tires: $420

I hope that the dealer threw in some ear protection as those Bridgestones are going to sound like you have sand and walnuts in your wheel bearings after a few hundred miles.

Mount/Balance $25 ea., $100
Alignment: $150

Adjust the throttle? i.e. spray some carburetor cleaner on the throttle body butterfly to clean off the gunk $2.50

Replace front pads: $65 and an hour of your time.

So lets say your time is worth $75/hr, then the value of what you paid $3125 is ....

$1705.50

I hope that the extra $1419.50 was used on a pleasant and enjoyable experience with the service writer and the waiting room!

Gawds, I hate it when a perfectly innocent and well-meaning person gets taken advantage of like this.

P.S. The reason that they had it done in a day is that they only spent about 4 hours doing all of this stuff!

Knowledge is Power, and those without it pay retail with a markup!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
More than Three Thousand dollars for tires, alignment, front pads, and an oil and filter change?

Sorry my friend, but I hope that included a reach-around when you were getting it in the rear.

Here is what you got done was worth:

30K for a 2002 or later 996

Oil and filter: $65
Pollen filter: $65 (the one with charcoal in it)
Air Filter: $33
Change all of this and check to see there are no CEL lights on, then look underneath to see that there are no drips or other obvious issues: 1 hour of your time. (the list of things to look at (check) is on RennTech)

Wiper blades: $20 (pair)

2 rear tires: $635
2 Front tires: $420

I hope that the dealer threw in some ear protection as those Bridgestones are going to sound like you have sand and walnuts in your wheel bearings after a few hundred miles.

Mount/Balance $25 ea., $100
Alignment: $150

Adjust the throttle? i.e. spray some carburetor cleaner on the throttle body butterfly to clean off the gunk $2.50

Replace front pads: $65 and an hour of your time.

So lets say your time is worth $75/hr, then the value of what you paid $3125 is ....

$1705.50

I hope that the extra $1419.50 was used on a pleasant and enjoyable experience with the service writer and the waiting room!

Gawds, I hate it when a perfectly innocent and well-meaning person gets taken advantage of like this.

P.S. The reason that they had it done in a day is that they only spent about 4 hours doing all of this stuff!

Knowledge is Power, and those without it pay retail with a markup!
Uh huh, okay. But, um, what if your time is worth more than $75 per hour? At what I bill per hour, this guy's service was a bargain compared to doing it myself.

Some people have time and no money. Some people have money and no time. Everybody spends what they've got to get what they don't got. Maybe give the guy a break, huh?

Quick Reply: Just Completed 30k mile service...