996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007 | 10:47 AM
renntech
Advanced

Default supercharger

Has anybody supercharged a 996. I have a 99 3.4 and am considering this. I'm looking for advice and suggestions.
Old 09-13-2007 | 11:00 AM
lanny
Racer

Yes - do a search and you will have lots of info.
Old 09-13-2007 | 11:34 AM
Michael Olsen
Track Day

Yes, just did an 02 996 (3.6L) - pretty good.
Old 09-13-2007 | 11:38 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by renntech
Has anybody supercharged a 996. I have a 99 3.4 and am considering this. I'm looking for advice and suggestions.
Why are you considering SC?

-td
Old 09-13-2007 | 12:28 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by td873
Why are you considering SC?

-td
IMO there is only one reason to go fasterrrrrrrrrr
Old 09-13-2007 | 12:33 PM
renntech
Advanced

I track the car and would like more power. Michael what kit did you use and how long did it take do do. (hours ??)
Old 09-13-2007 | 12:37 PM
Michael Olsen
Track Day

I got the EVO Motorsports supercharger. It took about 20 hours to install, -- there's a lot to it. It's got a new radiator, intercooler, pumping system, and the system itself, bolted onto the engine. It's about $1800-2000 labor typically.

It's faster, though I haven't dynoed it yet.
Old 09-13-2007 | 03:07 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manny_g
IMO there is only one reason to go fasterrrrrrrrrr
But where you go faster is relevant. IMO, simply adding a SC to get from 0-speed limit faster is a huge waste. And going way past the speed limit just because you have a SC is just plain stooopid. There has to a reason to go faster. I think spending 20K on other upgrades would make the car track better, without the need for more HP. 300 is enough to get around any DE track fast.

I track the car and would like more power.
It appears that by track you mean DE. Lots of people track their cars this way (including me), and some common words of "wisdom" are: you don't need force induction to go faster. Seat time, education, upgraded / adjustable suspension, better tires, roll cage, seat, etc can be great mods rather than simple grunt in the straights. If you are going to W2W, you should keep away from a SC as you will bump a class and compete with the guys that have loads of money to make their cars go fffaaaasssssttttt.

One other consideration, adding a SC will most likely void any warranty you have (if you have any left).

If you've exhausted your upgrade options, and are indeed leaning towards forced induction (SC or TC), there are numerous threads on this. I'm sure a search will turn them up. Lastly, Ruf offers a pretty respected SC kit. Check them out.

Cheers,

-td <- my $0.02
Old 09-13-2007 | 03:16 PM
renntech
Advanced

I do have other upgrades already. Suspension, R-compund tires, harnes bar, gt3 seats etc... I am an instuctor in my region and I only want more power to try and play around a little more with all the frickin gt3s.
Old 09-13-2007 | 03:20 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

I'd rather be blown than injected, but that's just me.
Old 09-13-2007 | 03:28 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

I have a SC 3.4 and its def faster than a 3.8 with an x51. The evo is great for tracking since it is designed for high RPM for boost wich matches the character of the engine. With all that is mentioned about suspension mods, seat and seat time etc...it is agreat track car. It makes it so much more fun passing stockers.
Old 09-13-2007 | 03:32 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

I do have other upgrades already. Suspension, R-compund tires, harnes bar, gt3 seats etc... I am an instuctor in my region and I only want more power to try and play around a little more with all the frickin gt3s.
IMHO...buy a GT3 if you want to compete with them, then it is down to your driving skills
Old 09-13-2007 | 03:51 PM
Michael Olsen
Track Day

Originally Posted by td873
But where you go faster is relevant. IMO, simply adding a SC to get from 0-speed limit faster is a huge waste. And going way past the speed limit just because you have a SC is just plain stooopid. There has to a reason to go faster. I think spending 20K on other upgrades would make the car track better, without the need for more HP. 300 is enough to get around any DE track fast.

It appears that by track you mean DE. Lots of people track their cars this way (including me), and some common words of "wisdom" are: you don't need force induction to go faster. Seat time, education, upgraded / adjustable suspension, better tires, roll cage, seat, etc can be great mods rather than simple grunt in the straights. If you are going to W2W, you should keep away from a SC as you will bump a class and compete with the guys that have loads of money to make their cars go fffaaaasssssttttt.

One other consideration, adding a SC will most likely void any warranty you have (if you have any left).

If you've exhausted your upgrade options, and are indeed leaning towards forced induction (SC or TC), there are numerous threads on this. I'm sure a search will turn them up. Lastly, Ruf offers a pretty respected SC kit. Check them out.

Cheers,

-td <- my $0.02

I have a supercharger (as mentioned0, and everything in this message I think is right. It's not the biggest contributor to speed around the track, it will void your warranty (mine's out), it is expensive (12k), and there are other, better mods. All that is true, but it's still a kick in the pants and a nice stealthy upgrade for DE. You should have seen the face of the fellow with the GT3RS between runs at Watkins Glen when he came up to me and said, "WTF!" b/c he couldn't shake me.

Mike
Old 09-13-2007 | 04:08 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Where is 1999Porsche911 and Karlooz?
Old 09-13-2007 | 04:11 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tippy
Where is 1999Porsche911 and Karlooz?
I've been looking for myself all day too. Let me know if you see me.