996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:58 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've always been curious about something, though: Our Mini, which is just an urban scoot, is not supercharged. The reason I didn't go for that was that the supercharger creates something like an 18hp parasitic power loss at lower rpms when it's not pressurizing. The car was a pig around town, IMVHO, and hard to be smooth in. What's the effect of a supercharger on this engine? Do you notice any drag when you're just cruising around town?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I've always been curious about something, though: Our Mini, which is just an urban scoot, is not supercharged. The reason I didn't go for that was that the supercharger creates something like an 18hp parasitic power loss at lower rpms when it's not pressurizing. The car was a pig around town, IMVHO, and hard to be smooth in. What's the effect of a supercharger on this engine? Do you notice any drag when you're just cruising around town?
18 hp? Wow that sounds too high. I could see this at full boost on that little motor but at low RPM?

Even though it is not boost, it is helping the engine to injest air easier, if you will. On my past S/C'd cars, they would lose a lot of low end torque if you removed the drive belt, of course other factors come into play as the engine has to draw air through the S/C on its own (roots type or centrifuagal).

To your point, I had a friend at work who drove both the "S" Mini and the non and he said the driveability was far better on the low end with the "S". I am sure it is from the S/C helping the engine breath on the low end.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:57 AM
oscillot
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StuartFirm
Also, not a bad idea. No matter what you do, if you are trying to build a race car or true track car, it is better/less expensive to buy one someone else has already built, rather than building it yourself.
Does this advice still ring true eight years later? I'm looking at buying a SC 99 cab with 106k miles. Asking price is $14k, and I want a weekend car for canyon carving (and don't fit in a 986).
Old 11-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by oscillot
Does this advice still ring true eight years later? I'm looking at buying a SC 99 cab with 106k miles. Asking price is $14k, and I want a weekend car for canyon carving (and don't fit in a 986).
That advice will always be true.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:52 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by oscillot
At those miles and at that price, I'd be concerned at the maintenance and how long the SC's been on there as it may need to be rebuilt/replaced.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:15 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Has anybody supercharged a 996. I have a 99 3.4 and am considering this. I'm looking for advice and suggestions.
I just thought I would ask about the current health of the engine before you supercharge it? Its a 99 high compression 3.4L. That's not exactly a great candidate for supercharging. If you need someone to explain engine CR's, supercharging, and efficiency, never mind. Hey , it may hold together forever!
Old 11-03-2015, 01:57 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I just thought I would ask about the current health of the engine before you supercharge it? Its a 99 high compression 3.4L. That's not exactly a great candidate for supercharging. If you need someone to explain engine CR's, supercharging, and efficiency, never mind. Hey , it may hold together forever!
You spew old 80's thinking and rationelle. Bring yourself into the modern times as well as not responding to 2007 posts bruh.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was reading up on my AMG's engine. The S/C uses the clutch to activate. So if you are at low RPM or cruising along, S/C is disengaged. When you romp on it, clutch engages and S/C goes to work. Kind of like in "Mad Max" movies, you see Max flip the switch and blower comes on. So when you don't romp on the car, it runs as a N/A 5.5 liter (300ish H/P), when you need the power it goes to 5.5 S/C (500 H/P).
Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
I was reading up on my AMG's engine. The S/C uses the clutch to activate. So if you are at low RPM or cruising along, S/C is disengaged. When you romp on it, clutch engages and S/C goes to work. Kind of like in "Mad Max" movies, you see Max flip the switch and blower comes on. So when you don't romp on the car, it runs as a N/A 5.5 liter (300ish H/P), when you need the power it goes to 5.5 S/C (500 H/P).
This is nothing special. A lot of SC's do that.