Sponsored by:

supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
IMHO...buy a GT3 if you want to compete with them, then it is down to your driving skills
Did Dell put you up to that? Sounds just like something he would say lol

-td
Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on track time/experience vs. HP!!
When I 1st started DE's, I thought it was all about HP. Now that I have a 911 race car (964, 279 RWHP @ 2700#'s), I think differently. I had a World Challenge friend of mine drive my car at Rd. Atlanta and he was at a 1:36 to my 1:40, lap time in my car. Now, I'm now down to a 1:37. I figure until I can at least run as fast as he did, I don't need to work on anything but me and my skill level.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get ahold of Jason at StuartFirm....he's got a 99 that he supercharged and has been racing for some time. He's very knowledgeable when it comes to supercharging the 99 996 3.4L engine.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 09-13-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-13-2007, 09:56 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically I agree that 300hp are enough for a good experience at the track and I came to a point that I get faster if I make less mistakes in the turns rather than pushing the car (and brakes) to the limits on the straights. However, there's one aspect of more power that I've to agree with the OP which is the relation of our cars compared to the power of other cars on the track. Whenever I meet e.g. a 450hp EVO on the track I'm bored behind him around the turns but on the straights he won't let me pass and pulls away very easily. This is kind of frustrating and just shows that a 996 with 300hp is not up to date anymore in terms of it's power/capability ratio compared to other "track cars".
Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 PM
CarlosR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my EVOMS S/C for 2yrs plus, and love it on the track. (it's kind of a waste for around town)

You can keep up with many GT3's, and pass the ones with lousy drivers. A hot driver in a late model GT3 will still beat me, but that may be a combination of my driving skills and the fact that I have a 3.4l engine. (not to mention stock 17" wheels and no sway bar changes, or the extra 165 lbs from being a cab!)

Hey 1999Porsche911: I sent you a PM a while back. PM me back if you will. Thanks.

=Carlos=
Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 PM
STDFAST
Track Day

you may want to check out Turbo performance center in Jessup Maryland. Web site is www.turboperformance.com. from my understanding their doing some wonderful things over there. too much for my blood, but you know what they say... "if you've got to ask.... you probably can't afford it"

let me know how things work out for you..
Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

man... i keep wanting one.... but california is a huge hinder to this....
Old 09-21-2007, 08:01 PM
StuartFirm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Get ahold of Jason at StuartFirm....he's got a 99 that he supercharged and has been racing for some time. He's very knowledgeable when it comes to supercharging the 99 996 3.4L engine.
Okay, I guess I'll chime in now.

I would highly recommend doing the EVOMS SC mod. Now, this comes with the following caveats in this order:

1.) The others are correct, you should invest in seat time and improving your driving skill first.

2.) What do you mean by tracking? If it is DE and private track day stuff, then by all means, after you have increased your driving skill or if you are already at an "acceptable" level (understanding "acceptable" is a relative term), THEN DO THE MOD.

3.) After you do the supercharger mod, you should not expect to be able to do much with it, except straight line rolling acceleration and cautious corner exiting, until you have also upgraded your clutch and suspension for the increased power/entry speed/exit speed. The stock clutch will handle the increased power, but the most fun will be had with a clutch upgrade.

4.) I highly recommend that if you do the supercharger upgrade and are tracking the car, whether in DE/open track days/ or competition W2W events, you DEFINITELY NEED to upgrade your brakes (rotors, pads, lines, brake fluid, etc.). The brake upgrade should be done in conjunction with the mods recommended in #3.

5.) I also highly recommend upgrading your exhaust (definitely high flow cats (200 cell), and mufflers; while, I do not think the upgraded headers are worth the money for the 5hp or so increase they give you) for even more power. Aside from the power, the exhaust note you will get is INTOXICATING.

6.) If by "tracking" you are referring to competition, W2W racing in a defined class, the others who have mentioned that you will "screw up" by supercharging your car are also correct because, like they said, you will bump yourself up into a class, such as GT1, where you will be outgunned and seriously disappointed. No matter how much supercharging we do to our 3.4L engines, they won't be the same as a built 350 or a WCGT Cup 3.6L.

Now, as for those who say supercharging with the EVOMS supercharger will shorten the life of your engine or kill your reliability/driveability, I call BS. I've had my EVOMS Supercharger installed for about 23K miles now without any issues. Okay, I had an oil return line that was a little loose, but 60 seconds with a wrench tightened it right back up.

About 70% of my car's last 6,000 miles have been on the track. I have used (not abused) my car for the purpose for which the Porsche engineers designed it. No problems, even though it has been seriously overheated on one occasion (tucked under a chipped 997TT for two laps at Hallett, I took all the air off the radiators and it caused the temp. to max out on the gauge and it took 2 laps of clean air after I passed the 997TT for the temp to come back down). No problems, even though I regularly bang the rev limiter on upshifts. What I don't do is over-rev the engine on downshifts. Rev-matching/heel-toe driving is a must (if you don't know how to do it, learn now, it isn't hard to do with normal size feet). You must change your oil religiously. Many say that even with DE/Open Tracking you can still go 15K miles between oil changes, but I'm a pu**y in this arena, as I change my oil (or have it changed) about every 6 mos. or 6,000 miles.

My car has over 95,000 miles on it. I have the original engine in the car and it has not been rebuilt. I do concede I may have a "cherry" engine from the factory, because my car also did not have any RMS issues either, although, the RMS was replaced at around 72,000 miles when the supercharger and clutch upgrades were performed.

All of this should not mislead you into thinking you have to do all of the mods at once. I just want you to understand, that IMO, you can supercharge the car first if you want, but for god's sake, please use caution for anything other tahn normal city/backroad driving until you get at least the suspension & clutch upgrades done.

FYI, I'm a dummy and still don't have the brake upgrade done (except Pagid Black Pads, braided steel lines and race fluid). I've overheated the brakes many times (read exceeded 1,100 deg. F) and lost the brakes going into corners during sessions because of it. But, I know how to figure out when the brakes are about to go, test them on straights and get the hell off the track as soon as I know they are either too soft or virtually non-existent, so as to not be a danger to the others on the track.

Right now, the most dangerous thing to my car's well being was 3 weekends ago, when I let a friend drive the car at Hallett Raceway. He lost control between Turn 7 and Turn 8. The car did not fare too well in its off track excursion into the tire wall and flipping onto its side. OUCH!!!!!!

But, even after flipping on its side and smacking the tire wall with the left side, rear end, and right side of the car. The car was flipped back over, the internal fuel filters cleaned and the ignition fired. The engine immediately came to life without hesitation. The car is going to need two new radiatiors, left front quarter panel, right front quarter panel, new right AND left side doors, new front bumper cover, new rear bumper cover, new rear aero skirts, new right side aero skirt, lots of metal straightening on the rest of the car including the roof and a new paint job. Oh well, here's to racing.

***EDIT*** Good god, I forgot the most important upgrade. TIRES, for goodness sake, if you don't upgrade your tires, you can just forget getting the most out of your newfound hp. I won't get into recommendations for tires, but depending on what type of tracking you do, I would suggest a 50 wear rating or stickier. If you can get your hands on some non-DOT approved pure race rubber, do it. Hoosiers have worked well for me, but they aren't nearly as good as my Michelin Porsche Cup tires (non-DOT, not Pilot Sport Cups, but the real racing slicks used in the IMSA GT3 Cup Series). The Michelin slicks are the ****!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 08:25 PM
StuartFirm
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
IMHO...buy a GT3 if you want to compete with them, then it is down to your driving skills
Also, not a bad idea. No matter what you do, if you are trying to build a race car or true track car, it is better/less expensive to buy one someone else has already built, rather than building it yourself. If the race car just happens to come from the factory, then oh well, so be it.

Buy a used GT3 Cup car and really have a blast. Supercharge all you want, but HORSEPOWER GAIN is no substitue for WEIGHT REDUCTION when tracking a car. Weight reduction helps more than power when the conversation between you and your car goes something like this, "Turn baby . . . . tuuurrrrnnnnnn, . . . . . now brake, . . . . brake . . . . for the love of god, slow the hell down . . . . . brakes???? where the hell did my brakes go? Oh Sh*t, turn, please turn. . . . . . . okay, baby, I promise we'll both go on diets before the next time at the track."
Old 10-05-2007, 04:36 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tippy
Where is 1999Porsche911 and Karlooz?
here i am. i've been off the grid for a while and just catching up.

i HAD an SC on my '99 3.4L and it made incredible power. with the vortech SC the power was kinda peaky, i.e. really only kicked in above 4500 rpm. the engine did run quite hot when tracking in 90+ temps so i installed a boost cooler. worked great to keep engine temps in check... until you run out. ran into the red zone once when the boost cooler ran out.

it was great on the track and i could keep up with gt3s but i wanted a different challenge. i wanted to keep up with gt3s WITHOUT the SC. also, i'll be racing soon... the SC would not be legal in the class i want to run in. i could still run the SC but it would bump me up into a class that had 500+ HP lightweight monsters... would not be very competitive. i did install a smaller pulley but evidence showed that there was lots of blow-by so HP is somewhat capped to how much boost the cylinder can hold.

if the OP wants a real challenge he should get a quality suspension (motons or JRZs), super sticky tires and have fun in the corners. pull away from the higher HP cars in the turns and you'll really know who has more talent. although the HP/boost is addicting pulling away on the straight away takes no talent.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I believe the OP said he was an instructor, so he's probably no novice to the track. +1 on suspension upgrades - but that applies to ANY car you track a lot - not just if you add power. As for the brakes, I haven't found the 996 brakes to be wimpy... I'm sure you could give yourself a moderate boost in power and not worry about them. Again, if the OP is an instructor, dollars to donuts says he's already running a brake pad that can handle it and he's running a good brake fluid.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2007, 01:48 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Renntech, I like your car, we both have similar rims but yours has suspension, do you have more pics to show bfr/after and how much did it cost you?

SC sounds awesome, thinking about it for my car too
Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael Olsen
I got the EVO Motorsports supercharger. It took about 20 hours to install, -- there's a lot to it. It's got a new radiator, intercooler, pumping system, and the system itself, bolted onto the engine. It's about $1800-2000 labor typically.

It's faster, though I haven't dynoed it yet.

How much does the EVO SC charger cost? or is that included in the price you list there?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by atx.911
How much does the EVO SC charger cost? or is that included in the price you list there?
$10k for the 3.4 and $11K for the 3.6 + labor