Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

H&R Street Coilovers - anyone using them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:58 PM
996cats
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Street Coilovers - anyone using them?

I've done several searches for different suspension options for the street with the occasional AX/DE thrown in. I've found several threads on M030's, PSS9's, X74's. Hardly any for the H&R street coilovers.

I'd like to bring my car down 1" to 1.25 inches and I could try just springs, but since I'm in there and my car has close to 60K miles, I could do a little updating. The stock rates on my car from the factory are:'

F: 146lbs/in
R: 260lbs/in

H&R lowering springs are:

F: 170-210 progressive
R: 230-260 progressive

PSS9's are:

F: 260lbs/in progressive
R: 512lbs/in progressive

H&R Club Sports are:

F: 460/in linear?
R: 915/in linear?

H&R street coilovers are:

F: 180-240lbs/in progressive
R: 250-295lbs/in progressive

I like the spring rates of the H&R street coilovers as they are not multiplying exponentially. I also believe the threaded collars would give me added benefit of being totally adjustable for my ride height, giving me leeway in the tire and wheel packages I may run.

This car is mostly a part time driver but we will AX and DE occasionally (2 to 5 events a year). The car will also get adjustable swaybars.

If anyone has first hand experience with the H&R street coilovers, I love to hear about it!

Thanks,

Bill P.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:43 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No experience with the H&R Coil-overs, but I have heard that the PSS9's are better.

My X74 is awesome and can be used for both street and track, it is a Porsche Sport Suspension. My problem with adjustable, is that you have to get the alignment done when you adjust it, if you have no problem with having to do that then go with the adjustable. But for me I did not want to go through that process and still achieve a good suspension feel and look which I got with the X74. Easy install too (did you read my thread on it?)
Old 08-30-2007, 12:14 AM
996cats
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
No experience with the H&R Coil-overs, but I have heard that the PSS9's are better.

My X74 is awesome and can be used for both street and track, it is a Porsche Sport Suspension. My problem with adjustable, is that you have to get the alignment done when you adjust it, if you have no problem with having to do that then go with the adjustable. But for me I did not want to go through that process and still achieve a good suspension feel and look which I got with the X74. Easy install too (did you read my thread on it?)
Hi Steven,

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I have the ability to do my own alignments, but I don't believe if I put on a coilover system I will need to align it much after the initial install. The PSS9 clickers don't seem to need alignment when you change presets. I have them on my track Boxster. You would need re-alignment if you raised or lowered the car.

Do you know what the X74 spring rates are or have the graphs for the shock valving? I'm curious to see where the rates lie in comparison to the H&R's, PSS9's, etc. I think the PSS9's may be too stiff for my cruising mode, but I like the threaded collar adjustability.

Thanks!

Bill P.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with TheSpeedDemon.
Porsche OEM suspension are fantastic. Good compromise ride comfort and stability. RoW M030 are very good. My friends who have 996 GT3 are very happy with X74. It works fantastic and not expensive than H&R, and rather cheaper than PSS9.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996cats
Hi Steven,

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I have the ability to do my own alignments, but I don't believe if I put on a coilover system I will need to align it much after the initial install. The PSS9 clickers don't seem to need alignment when you change presets. I have them on my track Boxster. You would need re-alignment if you raised or lowered the car.

Do you know what the X74 spring rates are or have the graphs for the shock valving? I'm curious to see where the rates lie in comparison to the H&R's, PSS9's, etc. I think the PSS9's may be too stiff for my cruising mode, but I like the threaded collar adjustability.

Thanks!

Bill P.
That's great being able to do your own alignments, makes it easier when you do change ride heights etc.

As for the specs on the X74, not sure but it is pretty stiff and gives a nice firm ride (not harsh). I wonder if any other Rennlist'rs knows the specs? In the mean time I will send a message to where I got them from.

BTW...are you in the PCA, and if so GGR or Diablo?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Lerxst
Racer

What are the roads like in Oakley CA? I too am kicking around the idea of new suspension for the street w/ 10 AutoX events and 2 DE events per year... and was thinking RoW M030 as I'm afraid PSS9s or X74 would be too harsh on our rough city roads. I find the current ride quite comfy and wouldn't mind things firming up a bit... but we've got some big bumps 'n' holes around here so going real stiff isn't an option.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:18 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lerxst
What are the roads like in Oakley CA? I too am kicking around the idea of new suspension for the street w/ 10 AutoX events and 2 DE events per year... and was thinking RoW M030 as I'm afraid PSS9s or X74 would be too harsh on our rough city roads. I find the current ride quite comfy and wouldn't mind things firming up a bit... but we've got some big bumps 'n' holes around here so going real stiff isn't an option.
California roads are the best...JK, they are not great but overall with the X74 it isn't bad at all. It is not harsh but firm. Basically you do have to take more care to avoid bumps 'n' holes in the road because you will be lower than the RoW M030. The PSS9's are not harsh either (from riding in a car with them and from what I read on the forum). I chose the X74 because you get the sway bars and the kit is pre-assembled, so no need to use spring compressor's etc. to do the install, to me it was a perfect system (and a Porsche sport suspension that is offered on cars) that can be used on the street and track without having to adjust anything. So I am going to give a BIG thums up for the X74.

Here is a link to my write-up of the install: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...referrerid=540
Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 PM
996cats
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
That's great being able to do your own alignments, makes it easier when you do change ride heights etc.

As for the specs on the X74, not sure but it is pretty stiff and gives a nice firm ride (not harsh). I wonder if any other Rennlist'rs knows the specs? In the mean time I will send a message to where I got them from.

BTW...are you in the PCA, and if so GGR or Diablo?
Hello Steven,

I'm a dual member in the PCA with the GGR/LPR groups. I'm an active Time Trialer and AX'er with my wife in our Spec Boxster. Do you get out to many events? Perhaps you have seen us out there.

The Spec Boxster is totally gutted and built to POC Spec Boxster class rules (full cage, mandated PSS9's with stiffer Eibach linear rate springs, 450lbs/in front, 500lbs/in rear, GT3 adjustable bar up front, Tarrett adjustable bar in back, adjustable toe links, camber plates, etc.)

The 996 is the cruiser toy, but one that we can AX/DE occasionally if we don't want to pull out the tow vehicle and trailer for the Spec Boxster. I'm leaning towards a softer shock/spring setup with adjustable sways. I haven't checked into what the cost would be for the X74 struts and springs only as I would not need the swaybars. That is why I have interest in the H&R street coilovers or maybe the PSS9's, although I haven't driven a car with either.

Here's a link to our website:

http://www.barrickpickeringracing.com

The site has some pics of the Spec Boxster and our other cars as well as some videos of us on track.

Here are some pictures of our Spec Boxster. The first one is turn 5 at Laguna Seca and second picture is being in line at the Hoopa Hillclimb in Hoopa, CA. We took it to a hillclimb and set a class record!

Thanks,

Bill P.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:08 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Nice looking Boxster and congrat's on the record

I was up at Thunderhill on 8/4 and 8/5 as an observer while the GGR was there. I'm not sure if I saw you there or not.

I just joined the PCA GGR and will be attending the Ground School on 9/1. Doesn't look like I will get out to run this year, so next year I will. Will do a couple of DE's a year as time permits.

Well it seems you know what your are doing just looking for the best setup for your 996.

GL and hope to see you either on the road or at the track.

BTW...my car number with the GGR is 666

Quick Reply: H&R Street Coilovers - anyone using them?