Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

can a delaer CPO a car that has been resprayed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:47 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a delaer CPO a car that has been resprayed?

can a dealer CPO a car that has been resprayed?

Last edited by jcalhoun; 08-29-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

A dealer can. Porsche wouldn't
Old 08-29-2007, 05:49 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

are you sure? I bought my car in 04 as a CPO from Jackie Cooper Imports in Tulsa, OK. I am selling my car now and the person buying it has found out that nearly every body panel has been resprayed. I called the dealer and they said that PORSCHE will allow the the car to be CPO'd with up to 2 panels to be painter per side....Either way, the dealership should not have been able to sell the car as a CPO. Any suggestions as to what I can do about it?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

You could make a stink with PCNA, but I doubt they'll care much about an 8 or 9 year old car.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 PM
SHAY2N10
Advanced

Read the Porsche CPO terms and conditions and if it states that they can not do it then take the dealer to court. They will probably just settle!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

I am trying to get in contact with the pre-owned manager, but no luck so far....
Old 08-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
A dealer can. Porsche wouldn't
you guys make it sound as if respraying a bumper part of quarter panel or whatever is like popping the cherry on a car.

porsche would and so would the PORSCHE dealers
Old 08-29-2007, 07:10 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My former 996 was purchased CPO and I found out later that nearly the entire car had been repainted.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

I wouldnt be so upset if it had just been a small bumper respray or something like that, but this is my WHOLE car. This could potentially be a deal breaker for resale.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 PM
hdtwncam88
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcalhoun
I wouldnt be so upset if it had just been a small bumper respray or something like that, but this is my WHOLE car. This could potentially be a deal breaker for resale.
if the car was resprayed how did you miss it when you bought it ? are you sure the potential buyer isnt just saying this trying to beat ya up on price. and just because i car has been re-painted doesnt make it a bad car. the $100k question is..why was it repainted. i worked at a porsche dealer and on more then 1 occasion had cars come in from the port that had gotten slightly damaged (scratch, ding, bumper scuff etc..) at the port and were painted at the port. check carfax and see if it shows the vehicle being in any accidents. i believe CPO is for mechanical and structural integrity...no frame damage, no body panels replaced etc...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Really, this is a remarkably simple problem to solve. Call the dealer's sales manager, explain the situation and ask for it in writing that the car can be CPO'ed even with the respray. They can either prove it or not, and if they can, you're done. If they can't, express your frustration and disappointment and ask what they can offer you to make it right.

Honestly, some of you guys seem ready to write an entire car off if someone ever breathed on it wrong. My front bumper was resprayed, and thus didn't come with the standard rock chips that you usually find on used cars. This was actually GOOD news to me. It'll probably suffer worse in my hands than from the guy that owned it prior to me.

Sometimes I think I'm the only 996 owner that realizes that it's just a freakin' car. I love it, but it's currently sitting in the garage with the exterior caked with bugs and grime and the interior covered with dog hair from a friend's mutt. Doesn't seem to affect the way it drives, and I have no doubt that it will shine up like new when I get around to doing that. Might be Labor Day. Might be longer.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM
SHAY2N10
Advanced

As long as there isn't any bondo work or structural work done to the car it really doesn't matter. I agree.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:28 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Why are you crying now?! You should have had the car checked before you purchased it if it is so important to you.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:17 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Ok, let me see if I got this right:

If your wife has had boob augmentation, or a face lift, or lipo suction.....
get rid of her, she ain't worth much anymore.............

Quick Reply: can a delaer CPO a car that has been resprayed?