Sponsored by:

996 starting troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:43 PM
bc1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Doug,

It does seem like it wants to crank, but doesn't seem like it has enough to turn the engine over a full revolution, almost like there's too much compression if that makes sense.

Brett
Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon

I would hate my carbed or FI engines to run at 160 degrees, neither would operate correctly.
FI, I agree 100%, that is by electronic design.

Carbed, ever stomp the throttle on an ice cold V8? Doesn't it always have more power when the engine is cold? If you tune a carbed motor at 160 degrees, it will make more power than if you tuned to 180 degrees. It is simple, cooler, denser air into the engine. That is the whole point of running cooler thermostats in engines from the beginning.

Ahhh, one more beating for the dead horse.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:36 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
FI, I agree 100%, that is by electronic design.

Carbed, ever stomp the throttle on an ice cold V8? Doesn't it always have more power when the engine is cold? If you tune a carbed motor at 160 degrees, it will make more power than if you tuned to 180 degrees. It is simple, cooler, denser air into the engine. That is the whole point of running cooler thermostats in engines from the beginning.

Ahhh, one more beating for the dead horse.
Actually my experience was with a 351C running a tunnel ram with dual holley 600's in a 1970 Maverick. I had a 3-core radiator with a great water pump and a 165 thermostat. But if I punched it without it warming up it was a dog, so I have to disagree with you on that it has more power when the engine is cold, in my situation specifically. But once it warmed up to 180 (185 the electric fans kicked in and the sensor was in the block not the radiator), then it got up and went, probably because I was dumping so much fuel into the system that more heat helped it run better. So again in my case it has to be over 160.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bc1
It does seem like it wants to crank, but doesn't seem like it has enough to turn the engine over a full revolution, almost like there's too much compression if that makes sense.
Failing starter seems like a reasonable bet. You can find a Bosch reman starter for under $200 (plus core) and it isn't difficult to replace once you have the intake plumbing out of the way.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Even tho your battery is new, do not assume that it is good. A battery with a dead cell will give you the same problems when warm. I would first eliminate the battery and connections as the cause by swapping batteries with one of your other cars.

Also, do not rule out the ignition switch.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Actually my experience was with a 351C running a tunnel ram with dual holley 600's in a 1970 Maverick. I had a 3-core radiator with a great water pump and a 165 thermostat. But if I punched it without it warming up it was a dog, so I have to disagree with you on that it has more power when the engine is cold, in my situation specifically. But once it warmed up to 180 (185 the electric fans kicked in and the sensor was in the block not the radiator), then it got up and went, probably because I was dumping so much fuel into the system that more heat helped it run better. So again in my case it has to be over 160.
Not knocking the combo but a tunnel ram with 1200 CFM of carbs on a Cleveland? Unless you were revving 8000+ RPMS...............??????????

8 jets, 8 venturis, 8 step up pumps, 4 idle jets, 16 air bleeds, you had a lot on your plate to tune this combo.

I assign this to the weak power at cold temps. The hotter the engine, the LESS FUEL you need, not more.

You used the electric fan to dictate the engine temp. If you turned the fans on sooner, you could possibly of maintained closer to 160.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:32 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not knocking the combo but a tunnel ram with 1200 CFM of carbs on a Cleveland? Unless you were revving 8000+ RPMS...............??????????

8 jets, 8 venturis, 8 step up pumps, 4 idle jets, 16 air bleeds, you had a lot on your plate to tune this combo.

I assign this to the weak power at cold temps. The hotter the engine, the LESS FUEL you need, not more.

You used the electric fan to dictate the engine temp. If you turned the fans on sooner, you could possibly of maintained closer to 160.
Let's just say it was wicked, but now sold
Old 08-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Let's just say it was wicked, but now sold
I hear ya, I miss my 2 '69 Camaros that are long gone. Both were supercharged and wicked also. My coupe could roast the tires in drive at anything under highway speeds.

Hey wait a minute, we are supposed to be having a bowtie vs. blue oval fight.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:52 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey wait a minute, we are supposed to be having a bowtie vs. blue oval fight.
Um, no, you are supposed to offer information on why you think the original poster's car has trouble starting.

This thread has gone way off topic.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by programmatore
Um, no, you are supposed to offer information on why you think the original poster's car has trouble starting.

This thread has gone way off topic.
I thought it was solved. Sorry, I was being a jerk hi-jacking.......
Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there a write up on getting the OBD to divulge all this secret info for my 2002 car?

That sounds like endless fun in traffic.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had similar problem, once the engine and drivetrain got heat soaked and tried to start the car, as you mention, seemed like the starter was initally bound up then would eventually turn over and start. Initally thought the starter need to shimmed out a bit but was not an option on these. Ended up replacing the starter, works great now, better than when new. Think this was a problem from day one.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:53 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a similar problem, how much did it cost to replace the starter?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was done under warantee, no idea as to cost. Sorry

Quick Reply: 996 starting troubles