Sponsored by:

periodic antifreeze drips

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:16 PM
hdtwncam88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default periodic antifreeze drips

2-3 times over the last couple thousand miles after driving for a bit, when i park the car i've noticed some anti-freeze drips on the ground...levels and temps are good. the drips are from the left rear by the tail pipe ?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

My guess would be a coolant tank leak... very common.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:36 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 to Rob's diagnosis

Your coolant tank is splitting - and will slowly loose coolant when under pressure - so common it's a feature!

Eventually it will fail completely - so it's worth checking before that happens.

Cracks can be small, and are often 'behind' the tank and difficult to see.

So check hoses where you can, then be ready to change the tank out, or get a mech to do it for you.

PIA to do, but not actually difficult technically.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:41 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick your arm deep inside the engine bay (after cooled of course) and feel around and under the coolant expansion tank (it is much larger than it looks). If you feel any type of "crusting" then the tank is going. The cracks start out as hairline cracks frequently on the bottom or back side and are impossible to see with the tank in the car. However, the coolant that escapes when under pressure leaves a residue that forms in to (this best I can describe it) as crusty yet slick residue that you get off with your figures. Replace of the tank is PITA but a very doable DIY in your garage with minimal tools (if mileage is starting to creep up this a good time to replace the serpentine belt (which is really easy to do) because you take off the air box).
Old 08-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its really unlikely you will see where its leaking from. The cracks in mine were hard to find even with the tank out and in my hands !
The leak may go away for a while (couple of weeks), but they ALL will leak at some point.
DIY isnt too bad, Renntech has the instructions and the dremmel trick.
New tank for 2001 is $76 from Sunset. Earlier tanks are more expensive and harder to install (they are smaller too ??)
Old 08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
hdtwncam88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the replies...doing the clutch this weekend, so will try'n get a tank at the same time...as well as plugs, all filters, trans and rear diff service ...OH AND SERP BELT !! shes got 65k on her and atleast this way i know alls fresh

Quick Reply: periodic antifreeze drips