Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is It Safe with Just the Rear End Lifted?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riad
BTW, I use the same ramps and they're great. For the car, not my wife, I have different ramps for my wife.
pics?? of the ramp, not the wife...
Old 08-23-2007, 08:41 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

For a 996 muffler swap,I chock the front wheels, jack up the car using the rear jacking points, in front of the rear tire. Put a 4x10 block under each rear wheel. Jack up one side enough to remove the rear tire. Remove/ replace one muffler. Replace rear tire, let car down onto wood block, switch to other side and repeat.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I ended up buying a pair of ramps from Walmart, and went with Orient Express's recommendation.
But I didn't remove the wheels, nor did I remove the bumper cover.

And I was very surprised it only took me a whole 37 minutes to remove both mufflers!
Well, actually it could be 35 mins, I had to go inside to get my eye goggles, and applied some eyedrops,
got some dirt in my eyes in the process of the removal, but of course!

The cans slid right off, downwards, with a little wiggling, I wonder if it could be due to the couple of inches extra on the widebody?
Anyway, the only pain was the single nut towards the rear, that was in a really tight spot, I was turning barely 1/8 of a turn at a time!
And I was surprised those cans are that Heavy! I couldn't imagine just by looking at the pics.
If you get rid of them, that's probably the equivalent of 10HP gain!

So, tomorrow morning, I'm off to search for a surgeon...Oooh...can't wait.
And I'm going in my Chevy S10 truck...bet you it'll be cheaper to weld them now!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Ok, I ended up buying a pair of ramps from Walmart, and went with Orient Express's recommendation.
But I didn't remove the wheels, nor did I remove the bumper cover.

And I was very surprised it only took me a whole 37 minutes to remove both mufflers!
Well, actually it could be 35 mins, I had to go inside to get my eye goggles, and applied some eyedrops,
got some dirt in my eyes in the process of the removal, but of course!

The cans slid right off, downwards, with a little wiggling, I wonder if it could be due to the couple of inches extra on the widebody?
Anyway, the only pain was the single nut towards the rear, that was in a really tight spot, I was turning barely 1/8 of a turn at a time!
And I was surprised those cans are that Heavy! I couldn't imagine just by looking at the pics.
If you get rid of them, that's probably the equivalent of 10HP gain!

So, tomorrow morning, I'm off to search for a surgeon...Oooh...can't wait.
And I'm going in my Chevy S10 truck...bet you it'll be cheaper to weld them now!

I think you are probably correct in you assumption that the widebody made it possible for you to remove the "cans" without removing the wheels. I do not think I coould have removed the mufflers on my C2 without removing the wheels.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:25 AM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I think you are probably correct in you assumption that the widebody made it possible for you to remove the "cans" without removing the wheels. I do not think I coould have removed the mufflers on my C2 without removing the wheels.
FYI...Yes you can remove the mufflers on a C2 without having to remove the wheels, I did, OK it was on a lift, but still the wheels were not removed.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:44 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the mufflers on my C4 without needing to remove the wheels. It was a bit tight as I had to push the bumper cover out a bit to get the muffler bolts to clear.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
FYI...Yes you can remove the mufflers on a C2 without having to remove the wheels, I did, OK it was on a lift, but still the wheels were not removed.
I did not have access to a lift, so I put the car on jack stands. There was not much room to move around so it would have been very difficult with the wheels still on the car.

Quick Reply: Is It Safe with Just the Rear End Lifted?