Sponsored by:

cabrio roll over safty bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 PM
1303RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cabrio roll over safty bars

I have a customer that has 1999 996 cabrio and wants the canvas cover for the pop up bars behind the rear seats recovered. How does this come off? I just finished the ignition replacement. Piece of cake. After some researching thru different places it made it easy. Anyone can do it. Just ask. thanks agian for the help.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

You could always tip it over ?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

or buy a manual, or take it to a dealer, ill answer anyones questions, except a shop
if you are going to take the responsibity for getting paid to touch someones 100K car
I think you should have the knowledge to do so, especailly something as simple as trim work.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:21 PM
1303RS
Racer

To 99firehawk,
thanks for taking the time to insult me and my question. It was a simple question directed to someone who could answer my question, not insult me. I asked because I care enough not to break someones car. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

free website is a lot cheaper then a subscription to all data.
renlist thanks you for the support
Old 08-23-2007, 01:16 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I wonder if the customer knows his mechanic is learning how to work on his car via free forums on the net.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:37 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1303RS
To 99firehawk,
thanks for taking the time to insult me and my question. It was a simple question directed to someone who could answer my question, not insult me. I asked because I care enough not to break someones car. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!
ya know... if I took my car to an uphosltery shop, I would not be surprised if they told me it was the first time they'd worked on a 996 911. It's not a terribly common car, and since so many are garage queens and the 996 isn't all that old, they may have to "learn" on my car. I think I would appreciate them doing a little research before they start tearing **** off of my car. But that's just me. I'm not taking my car to a dealer to have a new top put on or seats recovered. That's just throwing money away, because they're not going to do the work anyway, they'll just charge you extra to take it somewhere else.

Then there's that whole issue of Rennlist "members", some of whom have the holier-than-thou attitude with non-paying members. But we won't go there. oops, I guess I just did.

So, not having done this particular repair before, I really can't help much. I would assume that the material is glued on, so I guess you're just going to have to get some heat and/or solvent and tear that stuff right off. There is a procedure listed in the owner's manual on how to lower the pop-up bars. I don't have the manual handy, so I can't help you out. I can't recall if the manual tells you how to raise them, but there's got to be a way.

Best of luck to you.

Michael
Old 08-23-2007, 01:28 PM
wdonovan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Real smart. The covers will get scraped. I feel it's safer to get all 4 wheels off the ground, i.e. over a bridge. That will deploy the roll bars.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know the answer to the question, but I will say the guy is trying to do the right thing by his customer and I don't know the circumstances behind it so I'm not going to beat up on the guy.

Either way if I knew I would help you dude.

You can also try www.renntech.org great place for all things technical.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:14 PM
JonesnSince78
Advanced

If you're just talking about the two oblong covers directly over the safety bars, they are just false covers and simply pop out. Grab from the rear and pull slightly to the front and up. The fabric is just glued on. If you're doing the whole piece you need to remove the carpeted panel behind the rear seats. That involves two Phillips screws. Once that's out, there are a couple bolts that hold the canvas-covered piece to the aluminum cage encasing the safety bars. I am not certain, but there may be similar bolts on the rear side. To get to those, you'll need to put the cab top in the service position and remove the carpeted tray in the top storage well.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:53 PM
1303RS
Racer

Thanks to all who helped with my issue. I try to do everything I can for my customers. There are every few Porsches here put the population is growing. I am the only upholstery shop in town that will touch any kind of car like these. I love Porsches and do what I can to make the customer happy. By the way, the car DID come from a dealer. Thanks again for all that helped.
Mark
Old 08-23-2007, 06:04 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

In general why would you take your car to someone who has no experience in doing what you want to get done. Weather its a mechanical issue or cosmetic. This is nothing against the original poster, he might do fantastic work, but as a car owner my first question to anyone that's going to work on my car will be if he has experience with my particular car. If he does not I will go else where.

Originally Posted by MJBird993
ya know... if I took my car to an uphosltery shop, I would not be surprised if they told me it was the first time they'd worked on a 996 911. It's not a terribly common car, and since so many are garage queens and the 996 isn't all that old, they may have to "learn" on my car.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by 1303RS
By the way, the car DID come from a dealer.
Mark,

That should solve your problem. I can't imagine that a Porsche dealer who sent you the car would not be willing to let you take a look at the shop manuals.

When the local dealer sent me to an upholstery shop for top work, the upholstery guy went to his shelf and pulled down one of the 996 volumes to show me what he was going to do.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

i send cars to the upholsery shop, With what ever they need taken apart. I would think a phone call to the dealer would be quicker then you posted
"I just finished the ignition replacement"
dealer couldnt figure that out

Quick Reply: cabrio roll over safty bars