996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Total Loss Insurance Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 03:10 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

Thumbs down Total Loss Insurance Woes

Long story short, a woman made a left from an on comming lane with complete disreguard to the oncomming traffic who had the right of way which ended up in a totalled C4S and a totalled Malibu. Police report states she was completely at fault. I will post a full story later.

My insurance company is trying to screw me and I need to know the value of a few key options to discredit their comparables.

What is the value of:

Sport Techno 18" wheels?

Heated seats?

Metallic paint?

I am mostly uninjured and I am very thankful that the car did its job.
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:14 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Holy crap, glad to hear you are not seriously injured.

Heated seats were $450... not sure on the others. I sent an e-mail to Alfe from IRA Porsche, perhaps he can shed some light...
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

There is no value to those items in a total loss. I'm confused, why is YOUR insurance company trying to screw you?

If you are going through your company to claim the loss instead of the woman that failed to yield then there was be more to the story.

Regardless of which company is paying you just need to do your DUE DILIGENCE to get a snapshot of what the car would cost you to replace it (ACV). You can start with getting "starting point" numbers from KBB and Edmunds. Then check out your local paper and auto trader, etc.. Put together a good average range of what the vehicle is selling for. For example, 45K-55K. Tell them you would be happy to meet them in the middle at 50K, take your check and start shopping.

Just remember, the important info they want is year & miles on the car. Your range of examples need to be very comparable to yours. I would be nice to point out that certain cars at the low end do not have all the options your did that you would want again and the ones at the high end do.

I had to do this once many many many years ago but when I was armed with a folder full of examples, I was immediately given my requested number as I was fair with them.

ps. the value of the items you are getting at will be itemized on edmunds if they are something that adds "value" to the car.
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:20 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

OT:

Dell, love the avatar
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks! That's the roller coaster at VIR b/t 15 and 16
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:24 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Well, I suggest that you remain "mostly uninjured" until the lady's insurance makes you whole. Yo should start with a full medical checkup and continue from there. Do NOT sign a medical release until everything is settled.

I got hit by a guy years ago in my 3 year old BMW and I got a settlement for the full purchase price of a new one which they driectly paid to the dealer. The guy who hits you, whether it is his insurance or out of his pocket, MUST make you whole.
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:37 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

My insurance company found the two lowest value C4Ss in a 100 mile radius valued at 43K and 45K and they completely disreguarded the cars at 52-55K. They offered 46K.

my ins co will be reimbursed by her's
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:40 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by NAvyC4S
My insurance company found the two lowest value C4Ss in a 100 mile radius valued at 43K and 45K and they completely disreguarded the cars at 52-55K. They offered 46K.

my ins co will be reimbursed by her's
If you lay down, they will walk over you. Stand up and only settle for what you want. BTW: Are the medical bills piling up yet? Also, check the official maintenance and repair history of the car you do settle for.
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:43 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Are they the same mileage as your car? What about maintenance and overall condition? You should go to bat for yourself here and do not take the first offer they throw your way. They love it when people just accept their first offer. Trust me there is room for negotiation!
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:43 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

So far we have been sending the med bills to USAA to cover them. My perscription plan is covering the Vicadin. I did sign a release with the on scene ambulance however I went to the hospital the day after and I was diagnosed with a sprained neck, and strained back. I will be attending physical thereapy but I also have pain in my shoulder that will need to be diagnosed.
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:46 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

I have higher mileage-59K but they only had a $391 deduction for that mileage. I'm going to take that and run with it and give them every car under the sun with metallic paint, sport techno wheels and heated seats.

Everyone knows a white car goes for less than a black car and color combos can decrease prices too. Remember that yellow turbo with natural leather interior??/
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:48 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by NAvyC4S
So far we have been sending the med bills to USAA to cover them. My perscription plan is covering the Vicadin. I did sign a release with the on scene ambulance however I went to the hospital the day after and I was diagnosed with a sprained neck, and strained back. I will be attending physical thereapy but I also have pain in my shoulder that will need to be diagnosed.
Your medical insurance should pay NOTHING. All bills are to paid for by the lady's insurance. As a matter of fact, if the medical insurance company finds out that they paid for services that were accident related, they will demand reimbursement from you.

ALL costs, including medical, rental car, loss of work days, etc are to be paid by the lady's insurance company. Sounds like you need a new agent that will fight for you.
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:54 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

sounds like it to me. I've recruited a lawyer and I will have all medical bills and perscription charges sent to my my auto insurance from now on. Thanks for the tip. This is my first accident and I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 08-21-2007 | 04:06 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I'm with the others here. I still fail to understand why your insurance company is handling things for you and not hers?...and why you're fighting over value with your comapny and not hers.
Old 08-21-2007 | 04:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

If it is you that are with USAA then you must really be laying down. I have had USAA since I was 16 years old and they have been awesome! When my car I referred to was totaled by another hat ran a red light, USAA paid to me the total loss agreed price on the car. Sure they threw a low number out but like I said I went armed with the ENTIRE range of choice to buy so I can show what they NEED to pay and then settle on a good fair amount. The only reason I went (and USAA rec'd it) to pay out of my ins and then have USAA collect from the others is that I got my money practically immediately.

As for medical. I used my Un/Under Insured coverage to cover bills until the other company kicked in. I had a friend that was a lawyer draw up a DEMAND letter for my med bills (something like 2-3x bills) and the other company had a check to me within the week.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are probably letting them deal with you the way they are. TAKE F'IN CHARGE! They work for you, you pay the bills, and you are the insured. They will gladly collect your premiums and then DEMAND payment when you are late with a payment so DEMAND the same back.

Quick Reply: Total Loss Insurance Woes