996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Window doesnt drop when door open

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:15 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

BMW 850's are the first cars I can remember with this...my 318is of 1992 vintage did this....

Best of luck all. Great thread.

JB

(I am sure others did it earlier. Citroen probably did it in the 70's :-) )
Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
erikazra
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have a 996 '99 cab and my driver side window is now on the fritz... if i pull the handle the window drops but the door is now open and i release the handle and the window pops right back up leaving me unable to close the door. if i pull the handle it lowers for only the time that i'm holding the door handle. do i ned to have my windows relearn positions? they seem to go all the way up and all the way down when i'm inside and tap the buttons. is there a button behind the door that senses when the door is open? i'm thinking that button may have gotten messed up. the interior lights turn on when the door is opened so maybe that button is ok? please help.

my other window problem, when i have the top up the rear windows can be conrtrolled to go up and down. but when i have the top down, i no longer can raise them with the switches inside. i am pretty sure the buttons are fine because they work with the top up. please please help.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the exact same problem as you do erikazra, but on a coupe. I did not have the chance to take it apart yet, but I do believe that there is another switch in the latching mechanism that is on the fritz. My problems happens some days and others it works fine. What I do notice is that when its happening my factory remote door locks beeps telling me something is open when its not. I think its better to go check on renntech.org for better info for this problem. I highly doubt there is a regulator problem and its related to an electrical problem.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:51 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Try "retraining" your window. Lower the window completely and continue to hold the window switch dwon for 10 - 15 seconds after the window is lowered. Raise the window and continue to hold the window switch dwon for 10 - 15 seconds after the window is completely raised. You may need to do this procedure twice to "retrain" the window.

If that doesn't work, look at the diagram in post #6 in this thread. There are two micro switches (#14 & #20) in the door. One of them could be faulty.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. Looks like I need to tighten my cable. Where do I get the nylon tool thingy to keep from breaking the clips. What is the specific location of the clips so I know where to look? Is it better to start at the top of the door and work down, or what. Any trips to popping the clips loose w/o breaking them? My be dumb ??, but I'm gonna try not to pay the indy $475 for something I might can do for a 2 hour project.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:38 PM
qirex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread guys!

i have this problem as well. Ive noticed that the microswitch (labelled 14) is slightly rotated upwar - 15 deg. I can click it with my finger and make it the same as the pass door - o deg/flush to horizontal. Once "armed" like this, the window stays down the 1/4inch. When the door is closed it seals flush.

So is the prob the lil switch? can it be reset to STAy in the 0-deg/flat position (it keeps springing back to 50deg superior/upward angulation)
Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 PM
symilarian
1st Gear

Does anyone have a diagram on how to adjust the "Bowden Cable" in the window regulator?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by symilarian
Does anyone have a diagram on how to adjust the "Bowden Cable" in the window regulator?
link 1
link 2

that should get you started.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

I've had to replace both window regulators. Each had different symptoms, but replacing the regulator fixed both problems.
On the passenger side, the window had a mind of it's on. it would go up down, stop 1/2 way, go back up, not go down...
The cable was very worn and frayed, but had not failed.
On the drivers side, the window was up and would not go down at all. The cord was severed.
Part is about $200. A very good DYI write-up! I would allow more than 2 hours to do it the 1st time. I could probably easily do it in 2 hours now, but definitely could NOT the 1st time. This job takes care so go slow and read all the DYI before starting.
Take care in lining the window up or you will have to go back in and realign, which means completely redo the whole project (ask how I know?).
Old 06-18-2008, 12:30 AM
03Targa
Instructor

Just had the same problem. It was the microswitch. Switch replaced, problem solved. As I understand it, this is a fairly common problem with 996's and Boxters.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Would you mind giving me a PM on how to do the adjustment? Thanks
Old 12-24-2008, 11:23 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice thread, folks. Quick question somewhat related to the thread: have any of you experienced an issue whereby the motor does lower the window, but it seems to lower it slightly delayed? Can it be adjusted to lower the window more quickly? When passengers open the door, it sounds like the door is being 'popped' open instead of lowering the window, and then opening the door.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:08 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I came upon this thread while searching a related issue.
My windows would move up and down but would not close completly, sort of like they were out of adjustment.
After disconnecting the battery for a related issue, the problem was fixed when the battery was connected again.
Rich
Old 09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just replaced my passenger side regulator a few weeks ago with instructions listed here. Nice to have a working window again. The adjustment part isn't too bad. The only trick I used was to keep the panel off when the regulator/window was installed and hook the power up to see how it sits and moves up and down. Very easy to access the bolts to loosen/tighten and adjust the window position when everything is exposed and you can get it perfect that way. Just line it up so it's the same as the other side window. Whole process took me 1.5hrs (not rushing). Got the part from Sunset Porsche for $180. And I didn't break anything in the process!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erikazra
i have a 996 '99 cab and my driver side window is now on the fritz... if i pull the handle the window drops but the door is now open and i release the handle and the window pops right back up leaving me unable to close the door. if i pull the handle it lowers for only the time that i'm holding the door handle. do i ned to have my windows relearn positions? they seem to go all the way up and all the way down when i'm inside and tap the buttons. is there a button behind the door that senses when the door is open? i'm thinking that button may have gotten messed up. the interior lights turn on when the door is opened so maybe that button is ok? please help.

my other window problem, when i have the top up the rear windows can be conrtrolled to go up and down. but when i have the top down, i no longer can raise them with the switches inside. i am pretty sure the buttons are fine because they work with the top up. please please help.
Originally Posted by jetskied
I have the exact same problem as you do erikazra, but on a coupe. I did not have the chance to take it apart yet, but I do believe that there is another switch in the latching mechanism that is on the fritz. My problems happens some days and others it works fine. What I do notice is that when its happening my factory remote door locks beeps telling me something is open when its not. I think its better to go check on renntech.org for better info for this problem. I highly doubt there is a regulator problem and its related to an electrical problem.
These are EXACTLY the symptoms my passenger window is exhibiting: Whilst holding either handle up, the window stays down, but release the handle and it slides back up, regardless of whether the door is still open.

Is this likely a microswitch, or is there a switch inside the door detecting whether it is closed or open?

Currently when closing the passenger door, one has to maintain hold of the door handle until the last second when closing the door and time it just right so the door closes a split second before the window goes back up - I've got the wife and kids trained, but its so annoying and I'd love to get it sorted!

Appreciate any advice!

Cheers,

--H

Quick Reply: Window doesnt drop when door open