Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Scared to drive my 996. Going back to M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007 | 05:54 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

I bought my '99 cab this past December after many hours on this board researching the product. I was worried for a short while after I bought it (what if the RMS leaks? what if the engine blows? etc.) but I finally came to the realization...F&ck it! I've waiting for 20 years to own a 911 and I'm going to take someone's advice from this board..."drive it like you stole it" and what ever happens will happen. I'm still grinning every time I get behind the wheel
Old 08-19-2007 | 06:44 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Down South
I bought my '99 cab this past December after many hours on this board researching the product. I was worried for a short while after I bought it (what if the RMS leaks? what if the engine blows? etc.) but I finally came to the realization...F&ck it! I've waiting for 20 years to own a 911 and I'm going to take someone's advice from this board..."drive it like you stole it" and what ever happens will happen. I'm still grinning every time I get behind the wheel
+1
Old 08-19-2007 | 06:45 PM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

I was being a little sarcastic. This board is great but it can drive you a little crazy if you spend too much time on it. Other than a coolant talk replacement, my car has cost next to nothing to maintain. No leaks, no smoke....just a blast to drive everyday. I would not know anything about RMS or engine failures with the 996 and probebly would never worry about it if I wasn't addicted to Rennlist. I guess I need to spend more time on the road enjoying my car and less time reading about other peoples problems. Sell it? No F@cking way!
Old 08-19-2007 | 07:17 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I guess you will never be ready to own a Ferrari.
I think no one is ready for that.
Old 08-19-2007 | 07:44 PM
lanny
Racer

Originally Posted by Ninetynine996
I was being a little sarcastic. This board is great but it can drive you a little crazy if you spend too much time on it. Other than a coolant talk replacement, my car has cost next to nothing to maintain. No leaks, no smoke....just a blast to drive everyday. I would not know anything about RMS or engine failures with the 996 and probebly would never worry about it if I wasn't addicted to Rennlist. I guess I need to spend more time on the road enjoying my car and less time reading about other peoples problems. Sell it? No F@cking way!
I know exactly what you are saying!
Old 08-19-2007 | 11:36 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Down South
I agree...life is too short.
Old 08-19-2007 | 11:59 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

If you're worried about it, trade it in for a lease on a 997. Use the warranty to your advantage. But, as everyone else has stated, it's a car. Drive it.

-td
Old 08-20-2007 | 12:06 AM
Giovanni
Race Car

I am thinking the same way about BMWs after I bought my 330i.

Let me see:
weak tranny (mine was replaced a few months before I bought the car, $4k receipt)
warped rotors (yeap, BTDT)
loose undercarriage (not common on 330i though)
headcover oil leaks (on a 6 year old car, BTDT)
radiator and expansion thank that is considered a regular replacement item (BTDT)
a/c system that is constantly acting up (BTDT)
weak P/W motors (BTDT)
fabric coming off A pillars (Yeap. BTDT) and roof
soft windshield (BTDT)
oh, did I mention weak tranny?
Old 08-20-2007 | 02:23 AM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
you want reliability and bullet proof. buy honda. NOTHING comes close.
I disagree. My experience with older (E30) BMW models have proven that these cars have to be some of the most reliable on the planet. New BMWs are just garbage in comparsion.
Old 08-20-2007 | 02:33 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Giovanni
I am thinking the same way about BMWs after I bought my 330i.

Let me see:
weak tranny (mine was replaced a few months before I bought the car, $4k receipt)
warped rotors (yeap, BTDT)
loose undercarriage (not common on 330i though)
headcover oil leaks (on a 6 year old car, BTDT)
radiator and expansion thank that is considered a regular replacement item (BTDT)
a/c system that is constantly acting up (BTDT)
weak P/W motors (BTDT)
fabric coming off A pillars (Yeap. BTDT) and roof
soft windshield (BTDT)
oh, did I mention weak tranny?

Is THAT all??

My E46 M3 was reliable...so is my current 996. I drove the M3 to about 40k miles without any major "snags." I have a friend with a 330i who is having little annoying problems with his, however. 750 is holding up fairly well. For an 06, I guess they fixed the little bugs for the 7er.

Each car is different...afterall, they're all only man-made...and man isn't perfect afterall! (Except for Bush) <--yes, that's sarcasm.
Old 08-20-2007 | 03:53 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I am glad you were being sarcastic ninetynine996.........and understand where you are coming from.....but I think this forum is a perfect balance between happy story sharing (new owners, mod's, tours, mod's and more mod's and rims) and unhappy sharing (a lot of small things: keys out of sink, dead batteries, speeding tickets and big things: yes blown engines and RMS...but I still think that an RMS is a small thing! under a grand)..........so yes drive it like you stole it...but keep up with the maintenance!! and we all need a little luck!
Old 08-20-2007 | 09:25 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ninetynine996
Before I joined Rennlist, I was VERY happy with my car for over 6 yrs. My 1999 runs strong...looks awsome and has been the most reliable car I have ever driven.
Then I joined Rennlist and now I feel aweful about my purchase.All I hear from you guys is "Faulty exgines", bad trannys, bad switches, RMS problems. Im afraid to drive my car and now want sell my car as as possible. What is the best way to sell in 30 days. I dont want to sell her but i cant afford a $10k engine replacement. You guys scared me straight backto the dark side of the M3
There's so many things wrong with this I would need charts to explain it.

Old 08-20-2007 | 09:40 AM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Just an observation about this forum:

ALL Porsche owners are not on it !!!

I have met more Porsche owners that have either never heard of Rennlist or have but do not have the time to participate than those that are actual participants in the forum. So we are not the majority here and so the problems that occur to the people on this forum is not what happens to ALL Porsche's.

Of those people that I have met and are not on the forum, I have only heard a couple of them mention RMS issues but no engine failures. Maybe forum people actually drive the cars harder because of the forum

So I am not one to make judgements about what I read and my car based on this forum, but it is very helpful for mod stuff, repair advice and sharing our affection of a great car. But to say that I have to sell my car because of a forum is not a smart thing to do even if you are joking...IMHO

I hope that makes sense, or if not you understand what I am trying to say.
Old 08-20-2007 | 09:51 AM
BruceP
Drifting

I'm so glad somebody said this. 996s, especially used ones, made the 911 available to more people than ever before. Plenty bought them who couldn't actually afford to keep them or handle the care they needed, then pissed and moaned about it online. The result: Google can now provide prospective buyers with pages of complaints, and values plummet. Which, of course, leads to even more philistines buying in, and the cycle continues.

Then, when you're bored with that, you can read page upon page of self-appointed experts preaching that Porsche didn't know what it was doing when it (fill in engineering decision here). All in all, there are some 996 owners who have been the worst ad for Porsche since WWII.
Old 08-20-2007 | 11:10 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray S

Makes me think about the story of the guy who only dates ugly girls because he is worried that a good looking girl will cheat (never has cheated of course, but she might).
Best analogy EVER!!! Absolutely GENIUS, RAY!!! ...if I may add to it - the UGLY girl WILL the one who ends up cheating in the end. The good looking girl was perfect to begin with and NEVER would have cheated!! Moral of the story, stick with the hot girl and don't be a fool!!!

Quick Reply: Scared to drive my 996. Going back to M3