Sponsored by:

anyone actually use 93 octane gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ
Check out Street Blaze, street legal fuel from *VP Racing Fuels in San Antonio, official fuel supplier of the ALMS, btw:

"Oxygenated with ethanol, this CARB-legal fuel is specifically engineered for high-performance street cars including sport compacts, muscle cars, street rods and more. It's environmentally friendly and street legal throughout the U.S. In applications with anything from 4- to 12-cyclinders or engines equipped with a turbocharger, supercharger or nitrous oxide system (NOS), StreetBlaze 100 will generate optimum power and performance. In turbocharged or supercharged applications, it allows an increase in boost without fear of detonation. NOS users can also leverage their higher octane ratings to step up to a more powerful nitrous oxide system. Dyno tests with a turbocharged application proved StreetBlaze100 generates up to 14% more horsepower compared to premium grade 91 octane unleaded gasoline. Designed for use in cast-iron head engines with CRs up to 13:1 and aluminum head engines up to 14:1. Works well on the latest generation of electronically-controlled turbo engines. Contains no metal compounds and won't harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors."

• Color: Orange
• Oxygenated: Yes
• Motor Octane: 96
• R+M/2: 100
• Specific Gravity: .746 at 60° F

VP RACING FUELS LINK

They even ship it to you...
Oh, yes, I use 93 Octane... so as not to hijack the thread!

Kim
*no affiliation... fuel info provided as a renne bene - fee free!
I have never heard of the stuff and I live in San Antonio. Family uses VP for the drag cars. We used to have a Shell station that sold 110 octane (well, there is no such thing as octane over 100, it is called heptane) striaght out of the pump.

Interesting, I will have to investigate.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Is pigs *** pork?
Does a bear **** in the woods?
A bear and a rabbit are ****ting in the woods.

The bear looks over to the rabbit and says "does **** stick to your fur?"
The rabbit says smuggly "nope, not my fur."

So the bear wiped his *** with the rabbit.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
rleeq
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use 93. Does this mean I could get huge HP gains by chipping my car?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Fast00
Track Day

Im in San Jose.. so to fight the 91 Octane deal, I tried using an Octane Booster once.. huge difference at the low end. Usually my car is really weak around 14 mph or less in second gear, with the boost I had much more power around there.

Also, at high RPMs the engine sounded much much nicer, like it was happy to be there.. where as with 91 it sounds freaking pissed off.

I have also heard about Foxworthy and Almaden.. I have to make a trip there. I've heard of racing gas at a Unocal 76 around Redwood City as well.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:48 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone know where you can buy 100 octane in SoCal (other than the race tracks??)
Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hamilton
I can't find it anywhere. Best I can do is 92. Does this really matter that much?

Grant
All I put in is 93. It's all around here in Dallas.

-td
Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YOUR VP RACING FUELS QUESTIONS GET ANSWERED!

I have never heard of the stuff and I live in San Antonio. Family uses VP for the drag cars. We used to have a Shell station that sold 110 octane (well, there is no such thing as octane over 100, it is called heptane) striaght out of the pump.

Interesting, I will have to investigate.
Tippy,

Their tech director is a good resource for any questions, as well:

VP TECHNICAL DIRECTOR

"If you have a technical question regarding VP's fuels, traction adhesives or other products, you may click on the link above to send an email with your question directly to VP's Technical Director. Please give a brief description of your application along with your question(s). You may also call VP's Technical Department at 812-878-2025, between 8 a.m. - 10 p.m EST, seven days a week. Note that nontechnical questions related to pricing, dealer locations, etc. should be directed to the appropriate VP Regional Office."

Click on the 'contact us' on their home page:

VP RACING FUELS HOME PAGE LINK

Let me know the results of your investigative work!
Kim
Old 08-16-2007, 11:23 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
Anyone know where you can buy 100 octane in SoCal (other than the race tracks??)
Unocal 76 station at the end of the Pasadena Freeway (110) in Pasadena. I used to go to Whiteman Airport near Pacoima to get 100LL for my turbo bike.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:37 PM
aviatorX
Intermediate

(well, there is no such thing as octane over 100, it is called heptane) striaght out of the pump.
For automobiles maybe. For aircraft no. There is 130 Octane fuel available in aviation. It is dyed green in color where the 100LL is blue. It is measured in a slightly different matter however. It is an index which assumes a supercharged or rich mix condition. 130 is hard to obtain however, often aquired for occasions such as sanctioned air races like Reno. Majority of these WWII era aircraft are supercharged.

Last edited by aviatorX; 08-17-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:40 PM
aviatorX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by porsche-t
Unocal 76 station at the end of the Pasadena Freeway (110) in Pasadena. I used to go to Whiteman Airport near Pacoima to get 100LL for my turbo bike.
Important caution regarding 100LL. The "LL" stands for low lead. This means it has a low lead content in relation to other aviation fuels. However in comparison to automotive unleaded it has a fair amount of lead and probably not a good idea in a car requiring unleaded.

Last edited by aviatorX; 08-17-2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:47 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche-t
Thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:59 PM
aviatorX
Intermediate

Not to change the direction of the thread, but since we are on the topic of fuels (and aviation fuels), if any of you use a kerosene heater in the winter there is a better alternative. If your local airport can accommodate jet aircraft then you can obtain Jet-A fuel. Much cleaner than kerosene and burns cleaner too. It is a derivative of kerosene and close to diesel#1 so it works great in diesel cars as well. It also will not gel until at least -40 or -56 depending on brand. (I burn a few hundred thousand gallons of Jet-A per year...the way it was intended to be )
You may even get a hell of a deal. Fixed Base Operators (they pump the fuel at the airport) drain off a considerable amount of fuel every day from the trucks to check for water. This fuel is considered contaminated even though there will likely be no water present. You may be able to take this off their hands for little or nothing.
This is also the case with 100LL aviation fuel but it usually ends up in the fuel tanks of the airport equipment.

Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled program!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aviatorX
There is 130 Octane fuel available in aviation.
I remember that fact from my aviation books (I am a part-time jet mech with an A&P). Octane stops at 100, heptane goes over 100.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:21 AM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aviatorX-

About how much per gallon, assuming no 'heck of a deal' from the FBO's?

Thanks!
~Curious in Tex-A$$,
Kim
Old 08-17-2007, 12:24 AM
aviatorX
Intermediate

I remember that fact from my aviation books (I am a part-time jet mech with an A&P). Octane stops at 100, heptane goes over 100.
I certainly do not doubt your experience, however it does clearly say "130 Octane" on this fuel when it is delivered. Never a reference to anything resembling "heptane". But then I just fly 'em.

Here is what my search of Heptane turned up:
"The straight-chain isomer n-heptane is the zero point of the octane rating scale. It is undesirable in petrol, as it burns explosively, causing engine knocking, as opposed to branched-chain octane isomers, which burn more slowly and give better performance".

Quick Reply: anyone actually use 93 octane gas?