Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help identifying correct RoW M030 Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:50 AM
bk12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help identifying correct RoW M030 Springs?

Hi guys,

I bought a set of used RoW M030 shocks/struts to install on my 2002 C2 996 manual. The previous owner had these sold to him by Carnewal for the same exact car. Looking over the famous PCA suspension comparison article, I see that my car should have a green+white dot in one part of the spring, and a green or white dot alone at the other end to indicate "tolerance group". These springs have the green+white indicating they are for my car, but the top dot is orange (or maybe brown). I have never seen reference to the orange (brown) tolerance group. I have done a bunch of research and have found no mention of this code. Can anyone identify what that odd colored dot in the "tolerance group" location code means? I just want to make sure these are right for me before I head off and pay the $$$ for install and alignment. I have attached a photo of 1/2 the set.

Anyone have any thoughts to share?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:25 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You forgot to attach the photo.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure you're looking at the tolerance code? It's at the top of the spring: small end of the conical front spring, big end of the more or less cylindrical rear spring.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you not like the info I already gave you?

**To try and give you another data point**
I did a quick search over on Renntech just now and found a thread that a guy asked the very question for his 03 C2 Std Coupe about a kit he just got (the same one you got...000-044-500-27) and has the exact same dots (green/white and brown). His concern was he had the green/white and brown dots and he wasn't sure if the kit he was sent was correct for his 03. Loren confirmed that it was in fact an 02 kit he was sent but it should make a difference since the 02 and 03 are the same. Maybe the 03 got a superceded part number.

Also, if you have part numbers on the parts, here they are:

Front:
996 343 531 19 spring
996 343 041 18 (or -21 from MY03) shock

Rear:
996 333 531 26 spring
996.333.051.22 (or -26 from MY03) shock
Old 08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
bk12
Racer

Yes, I am looking at the tolerance code (at least as near as I can tell).

Dell, I liked your answer, but still wanted to find out what the orange tolerance group code means. I didn't find that thread on Renntech, did searches under a bunch of key terms without success, that would have helped.

At this point I have no question regarding the fact the springs are for my car, as Dell confirmed the model designation color codes matched my setup......but I have only found record of green and white codes for tolerance groups on spring height (green shorter than white sets). Nobody (including Loren), had any answer for what the orange dot signifies as he only knew of the green or white per the famous PCA article.

I guess I am just really curious as to wheter this will be a longer or shorter set than the green or white series, or if they went to some new color coding system and it replaces one of the previous group colors. It just bothers me that this seems to be an unknown, and I like to know all the details of anything that bolts on my car

Thanks again guys! Pics now attached.

Last edited by bk12; 03-20-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:52 AM
bk12
Racer

THE ISSUE IS FINALLY SOLVED!!! I am so happy. After trying everyone from forum experts, to dealers, to Porsche corporate, I finally found someone that could confirm the color changes on the RoW M030 tolerance code. A very helpful expert informed me that in 2002, they changed the tolerance group colors to Blue (for the old green) and Orange (for the old white). My understanding is that the model ID color codes stayed the same. I can finally put this thing to rest! Thanks for all the thoughts and inputs guys!

Quick Reply: Help identifying correct RoW M030 Springs?